Joel Osteen -- Dr. Murray Invited Himself

5/10/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joel Osteen's people are ticked ... saying they didn't invite Dr. Conrad Murray to Osteen's service yesterday -- Dr. Murray invited himself.

Joel Osteen
According to sources connected with Dr. Murray ... TMZ first reported Osteen personally invited Dr. Murray and even gave him a secret code to enter Osteen's Houston church.

But Osteen's rep tells TMZ they were approached by Dr. Murray's people who said the doctor was in need of prayer and Osteen agreed to pray with him.

One of Osteen's reps griped to TMZ, "It seems like this was more of a PR move than seeking actual prayer."

UPDATE: A rep for Murray says the good doctor attended the service "at his own free will." Murray, in a statement to TMZ, said, "I was grateful for the blessings, prayer and words of encouragement I felt during services.  It was a spiritual moment for me, personally ... I sincerely express my thanks and gratitude and will continue to remain strong in my faith."

Cali MJ Fan

Now this sounds a little more like the truth. Question is, why didn't Osteen say anything before today? Curious.

hoocheekoo

Well, looks like Murray is taking a page out of Blagoyavich's(sp?) book with a PR campaign to try and get off. Supporters staged at the courthouse next time...tricking a big-name preacher for prayer and saying he was invited. Hey Murray...If you're in a hole, stop digging!!! After this stunt, it will be interesting to see how many of those Texas supporters show up at the courthouse.

Louis

HAHAHA!!! BUSTED!...publicity stunt. Quick note to Conrad's PR people..."It's not helping your situation..." *lol*. Makes you wonder
if the bus thing is a publicity stunt too. I'm from Los Angeles, so if there are any Conrad supporters who are actually planning to come here next month, please fill me in. Thanks.

Barb.A.

I agree seeking spiritual help is personal & God has the power to turn a bad thing into good, but Murry could have gotten that from his own Church. Why make announcements that your going to this one, If he truly was seeking help why not just go without making it news.
.................................

12. wow, whatever the reason, seeking spiritual help is personal, the reason behind it is not up for us to interpret, that's Gods job. I wonder if osteen outs others that come to him. sorta what that pseudo religion ( scientology ) did to tom cruise. i mean God has the power to turn a bad thing into good. does osteen not practice the thing he preaches , be patient, wait on God

Posted at 7:17 AM on May 10, 2010 by steve

SMDH

How about Lena Horne, TMZ? Is that not considered your type of news?

myself

Again why does Murray seem so desperate when he has got lots of supporters ie those planning to go demonstrate on June the 14th, and also all those we see here. It seems to me, all these supporters are not showing their love openly. And why is that? I'm sure if he knew there were lots of supporters out there, he wouldn't act so desperate.

Bea

This is obviously about Murray getting desperate to make the impression that he's a good guy short before the trial. He's looking for sympathy, not for God's help. Murray, you're busted, why not be a man and do this the right way with the truth, and without manipulations, because we don't buy it anyway! :(

Vee

LMAO I KNEW MURRAYS PR FIRM WAS BEHIND THAT MOVE. GO JOEL!!!!! RUN AWAY FROM THAT LYING FILTHY DOG OF A DOCTOR! I HATE YOU CONRAD MURDERING MURRAY!! I HATE YOUR DIRTY @ZZ!

Tellit

I'm with Chico on this TMZ...what about Lena Horne?

HumanNature

Lena Horne do not need to be on TMZ, THE GOSSIP SITE!!!

SHE WAS A DIGNIFY AND CLASSY HUMAN BEING!!!!

RIP MISS LENA HORNE!!!!!

melliemel

I just couldnt figure out why Joel Osteen would invite Murray to his church. Murray lies so much. He said that he didnt kill Michael, well who did? I love Joel Osteen, and I was getting ready to reject his daily word that comes through to my e-mail. I'm so glad that TMZ got this straightened out. RIOP MJJ

MiMi

5. I knew it was a PUBLICITY STUNT!!!!!

DR DEATH KNOWS WHAT HE DID WAS WRONG!!!!

ONLY A GUILTY CONCISOUS WOULD SEEK PRAYER!!!!

DR DEATH'S LEGAL TEAM HAS NO CASE!!!!!

ZERO!!!!

FOR CRYING SAKE, COPE A PLEA AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!!

Posted at 7:09 AM on May 10, 2010 by HumanNature

------------------------------------------------

HumanNature Heeyyyyy!!

Getting kinda desperate are you Murray? Guess going to your own church would not have helped enough. Not enough exposure there so you have to pick the largest church in Texas to get media coverage.

There will be no plea deal HN. DA has already commented on this. We don't want no darn plea deal anyhoo. This man needs to serve the maximum sentence for his crime.

tis_ruthy

UPDATE: A rep for Murray says the good doctor attended the service "at his own free will." Murray, in a statement to TMZ, said, "I was grateful for the blessings, prayer and words of encouragement I felt during services. It was a spiritual moment for me, personally ... I sincerely express my thanks and gratitude and will continue to remain strong in my faith."

lmao

tis_ruthy

It was a spiritual moment for me, personally

lol lol

Tellit

More than likely Osteen did invite Murray, but his promoters/spokespeople are now doing some damage control after reading the backlash (by Michael Jackson fans of course) caused by that invitation.
You know of course that the Osteen camp read each and every word written yesterday on TMZ Osteen/Murray threads ....and it wasn't pretty.
It's only natural that today they would want to minimize any Osteen involvment....especially considering that Michael Jackson rabid fans (even on TMZ) make death threats re anything they might irrationally deem anti-Michael Jackson.
Michael Jackson fans may carry a some weight, but they're not viewed in a favorable light.....more in the same light as they might fear the Nazi SS or Unibomber/bin Ladens/Timothy McVeighs of this world.
Yes after weighting in on that, business and health wise, I might also distance myself from having had any involvement in extending that invitation.
The innocent lambs had no concept of the hatred and evil that consumes the majority of Michael Jackson followers.