Sam Champion

Clash Over Tornado Coverage

5/11/2010 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Good Morning America" weatherman Sam Champion made a cameo appearance on a local Oklahoma newscast this morning -- when he was caught bitching at a news crew on live TV.

Sam Champion
It all went down near the crumbled remains of a local gas station that was knocked over when a tornado hit Oklahoma City yesterday. The crew from KOKH was doing a live shot at the scene, when Champion -- who was setting up to do a shot at the same gas station -- came into frame.

Champion -- clearly pissed that he was being shot by another crew -- started to bark orders to the KOKH crew to get "back" and then shoved his notebook in front of the camera to block the shot.

While the KOKH camera continued to broadcast live from the scene, Champion -- who was once again in the shot -- told the crew, "You know the deal." The KOKH cameraman can be heard saying, "What deal?"

Champion responds, "You know where you're supposed to be ... so be there. It's alright ... it's all good ... so just be there."

Generally, news crews don't shoot outside talent as a professional courtesy -- but it was a live shot at the scene of a disaster.

So the question is ...

bdj

Yeah, there's a professional courtesy to not shoot other "talent", but there's also a professional courtesy where you don't block off the best shot from EVERY OTHER news org. He knew what he was doing. He thought "I'm national, so you little guys just run away a film something less interesting". It was obvious that they blocked off all access to the big damage. That was a doucher thing to do.

Lori

What a jerk. I live in the area and we want to see the local news covering a local event, not some jerk with a giant ego. The local crew is walking around filming, and he was up there blocking the entire thing as though he is the best thing in town.

Rich

Again the rise and hopefully the fall of another pompous idiot who actually thinks he is above others

Jeff

Watching the video, the "local" news crew walked into the network setup. Completely unprofessional. Sure television news stories are a ratings game, and that is why remote news crews are territorial. I happened to catch the local news reporter this morning and when asked where this area was located in comparison to Oklahoma City, she claimed that Choctaw is South of the Metro area..... Okay, if you are going to be a legitamate reporter....know the area you are reporting in, and not just how good you look. Choctaw is located East of the Oklahoma City area. I'm sorry Miss...you lost any credibility by flashing your tooth whitened smile and announcing the wrong location. Get out your AP Stylebook and an atlas and then get back into the field...and apologize to the network for acting bush league.

annonymouse

That's why he is Sam Champion. What's the other reporters name? "Crickets" Uh huh, Thought so!! He is a professional!!! I happen to have watched him for years, at first when he was on CBS. I'm no fan, I just see that he does his job very well, and I appreciate that in any one. He was clear and concise.It's takes people like this to get things done during difficult times.
And to that idiot who ranted about him being gay. What The Hell Does That Have To Do With This! Get a job dude!

jenjen

What a QUEEN/DIVA!!!! When he gets upset he I like an upset woman. That chocolate boyfriend of his is obviously the pitcher.

Okie Girl

Many lives were saved yesterday and during every Tornado event here in Oklahoma because of the OUTSTANDING JOB our NEWS MEDIA performs. Some of these good folks even risk their lives tracking these storms, just to keep our OKLAHOMAN public informed so that we can take cover. It's something one just doesn't understand unless you live or have ever been here during Tornado season. Currently several counties in Oklahoma are under a Tornado watch for this evening. I wonder where Mr. Champion is????? I know where are reporters are!

ABC123

I didn't think he was a jerk at all...he didn't raise his voice and seemed to ask them politely and remind them of the 'deal'. They just kept shooting him over and over again.

cwms

I think the shot should go to the local news crew, they were there from the beginning and are still there now....is he? The locals care about the damage, about the people in the storms, big time "weather men" just want a shot, could not care less about the long term effects of the storms that came through. He obviously was not the target of the shot, he was just being an arrogant, self-absorbed tv person.

Barb

He was definitely rude!! But I do see he has a point. Maybe the local crew should have walked around but since we cant see the whole shot maybe they had no where else to go if it was a debris field! Still doesnt give him to right to act all big time and try to push the local crew around in their own freakin town. I used to like him, not so much any more....jackass!

really?

Oh *sigh* TMZ polls. They're sooooo accurate. Gotta love the outstanding trolls. "I'll vote against the obvious!" Mkay.
Oh! and grammar is but a joke to you idiots. Even if I agree with your opinions, your grammar is atrocious. I guess I have to say that TMZ is my guilty pleasure. The stupid in the comments make me feel like a much smarter person.

Let me make this post easier for your regular posters...

ur stoopib pepoul tht dunt lyke stuff 2 r dum me smert.

Turk182

WHAT A GIANT DB THAT GUY IS!

IRISHOOLIGAN

good guy vs. bad guy....????dude they are weather reporters.....who gives a SH*T....????

kickaboo

The local news was covering the tornado before Champion could even get on the plane and get there to see the damage, what an azzhole. I think Champion likes to look at himself on camera A LOT. Good Morning, America continues to decline.

Seacrest is a Shorty

YEAH....we all know what an important role this guy plays as a WEATHERMAN.....gimme a break. You'd think he was in the middle of Kabul or something.....jeez. Hey SAM...you're just the weatherman hoping to move on up in the GMA world. What an egotistical jerk the REAL Sam Champion is....wow.