Juan-Carlos Cruz -- Murder/Suicide Plan

5/17/2010 9:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ Juan-Carlos Cruz was allegedly involved in a Shakespearean plot to kill his wife and then kill himself -- and it's all over their inability to have babies.

0517_juan_carlos_cruz_ex_wife

Sources say the Santa Monica Police Department and the L.A. County District Attorney are fully aware 47-year-old Jennifer Campbell has been despondent for years over her infertility and has spoken openly to friends that she wanted to end her life.

But Campbell is a deeply religious, practicing Catholic and the church views suicide as a mortal sin.

Our law enforcement sources say the information police and prosecutors have "is absolutely clear" -- Cruz was trying to honor his wife's wishes by ending her life.  He then planned on killing himself.

As TMZ first reported, Cruz -- who hosted a show on Food Network -- allegedly approached 3 homeless men in Santa Monica to kill Jennifer.

Sonja

BS, he was tired of dealing with a constantly depressed wife... doing what she wanted, she wasn't dying of some terminal disease, dude should have gotten her emotional help, counseling.. he wanted out and didn't want to have to pay. Even if you did decide to help your wife who you love so much end her life you don't have some stranger scare the crap out of her and then slit her throat.

Rowan

For all you Catholic folks who think Suicide is a mortal sin - it hasn't been considered a mortal sin since 1968, when the Vatican II proclaimed that anyone committing suicide almost invariably has to be mentally ill and therefor are not responsible for their actions. I am in no way advocating suicide, but I find it interesting that as a non-Catholic I now this and have confirmed it from multiple sources, yet practicing Catholics have not know about this 32 year old decree in their own church?

I just curious.

Peaches

WHO THE F CARES? ? ? ? ? ? ALRIGHT......ALREADY WITH THIS STORY..............CMON TMZ........IS THIS THE BEST YOU GOT? ? ? ? ? BUMMER.......WITH ALL THOSE YOUNG IDIOTS WORKING THERE...............HELLO PEREZ HILTON......HAS MUCH NEWER AND BETTER INSIDER STUFF............HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Big Mamma Cornbread

Is he a Legal Citizen ,or Illegal..Just asking ..terror

mr.j

Wow, more religious nuttiness veiling serious mental imbalance. This has nothing to do with God, they should definitely leave him outta this madness.

antbabs

Jesus, what a fruitcake couple.

I wish I had time to read each and every comment.

Has the Food Network dropped him yet??

antbabs

I wish I had time to read each and every comment here.
Sounds pretty nutty to me.

Has the Food Network droped him yet?

Mayu

JLS...

not being able to have children does not make you worthless in the Catholic's eyes. If it is not God's plan for you to have children, it doesn't make you worthless it just means there is something else out there for you.

For example: Perhaps God wants you to open your doors to a child who would otherwise not have a home of their own. Perhaps God wants you to be a foster parent to children in need... or perhaps he has plans that does not include being a parent.

Just because you can't have children does not mean you're worthless as a Catholic. Also... the not having children had nothing to do with being Catholic. She didn't say she wanted children cause she was Catholic, she said she wanted children, but because she couldn't have them, wanted to die, but suicide is a mortal sin according to being Catholic.

whichever though, if this is true (and I have a hard time believing this story) suicide because you can't have children is a cop out and there are other underlying mental/emotional issues. Especially when there are options like fertility treatments, surrogacy, adoption, fostering, so on.

so this story is either bull horse pucky, or a cop out in an effort to blame something for Clinical depression.

aston

I don't believe this man at all. First, you don't assist a depressed wife's suicide, you get her counseling and other help. Secondly, dying by having your throat slit is painful, that's something you do to someone you HATE (if you're crazy enough to have someone killed in the first place), not someone you love. Third, it would still be suicide.

I agree with the person writing that it's a blessing those two unbalanced people did not have children. I understand the deep sadness, but to have kids you must be a grownup, and grownups deal with their problems.

aston

Debra wrote: "...Here I was, judging this man -- thinking he committed the biggest sin. Who an I to judge? Please forgive me G-d, I should have known better...."

Debra, you sound like a nice person. But I think you can safely dry your tears and keep judging him.

Dawn

I'm surprised that so many people seem to be falling for this lame excuse. Obviously, he's trying to wriggle his way out of a terrible jam, and by the looks of it, hoping that the woman he tried to murder will now help him get off the hook by vouching for this bogus pact. It's true what someone else said that "dying by having your throat slit is painful, that's something you do to someone you HATE (if you're crazy enough to have someone killed in the first place), not someone you love." - UNLESS THEY'RE BOTH COMPLETELY OFF THE WALL. I understand that the adoption process is no walk inthe park, but a women who was that desperate to be a mom would have not left any stone unturned to do so, and would have probably found a way to do so years ago.

mike

the Catholic church views suicide as a mortal sin,how about priests raping little kids,and the people above them covering it up for the "good of the church"? It should be known as the perverted church

Vera

They should both get their wishes granted and be put to sleep. Society does not need crazy people like this nomore. Once again religion is such a handy excuse to some bizarre things, I'm catholic but not a religious person at all, nevertheless I know how to be happy with what God gave me and have never tried to harm anybody, including myself! TO JAIL AND HELL WITH THEM!!!

No Comment

Here is something I don't understand. You can't commit suicide because of your religious views, but you can hire someone to kill you? Wouldn't that pretty much be suicide at the hands of someone else. Whether you pop some pills or pay someone to shove the pills down your throat, the will to die is still there.

That is if this story is even true...

Keith

This sounds less like "Romeo & Juliet" and more like "Fletch"

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments