Bret Michaels

Hospitalized for Heart Problems

5/20/2010 6:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret MichaelsBret Michaels was rushed back to the hospital this week where doctors claim they found a "hole in the heart."

According to Bret's rep, the singer was complaining about "numbness on the left side of his body, predominately his face and hands."

After a series of tests, doctors concluded that Michaels had suffered a "Transient Ischemic Attack -- more commonly referred to as a "warning stroke."

During the tests, the doctors say they found that Bret had a Patent Forum Ovale -- which is essentially a hole in the heart.

Doctors say Bret's condition is "operable and treatable." The docs also don't believe the "warning stroke" is related to Bret's brain hemorrhage.

Bret will be treated with outpatient care -- which includes a daily injection of a blood thinner.

Bret's rep also notes that the singer is in "good spirits, great medical hands and is positive and hopeful that everything is going to be OK."

The rep concludes, "He is up, walking, talking, continuing his daily rehab and very happy to be alive but he has made it clear he is sick and tired of being in the hospital and is ready to rock again."

Previous Today in TMZ History

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

DEB

This cat got nine lives!~hope to see on the finale of Celebrity apprentice!

Butterfly

SOMEONE,PLEASE CLARIFY! Is Bret pushing himself to perform this month or, are his people pushing? I agree with so many that he is not quite ready for such a hectic schedule for traveling, not enough rest between shows, poor dietary habits, etc. I fully understand his strong desire to "go on as usual" but, things are not as "usual" as they were. It takes time to heal completely. My God, he was at death's door! Only God, and prayers from well wishers, pulled him through his horrible ordeal and must not be taken lightly. I would give ANYTHING if my husband were given a second chance from dying of cancer. We miss him so much! Please Bret, reconsider and think of how, losing you, would devastate your children and family. They need you!!!

Donna from DC

If Mr. Michaels had a brain hemmorage and now he's getting a blood thinner then doesn't the blood thinner put him at a greater risk of another hemmorage? Isn't that why former Israeli prime minister has been in a coma for 3 years? I am on a blood thinner (for post op blood clots in my lungs) and I know blood thinners can make you bleed more.

Z

it's "Patent FORAMEN ovale"

mike

johnny you can go **** yourself, come say that to me and you will need more than aitch doctor

MARJE

IN SPITE OF ALL HIS HEALTH PROBLEMS, BRET HAS WON CELEBRITY APPRENTICE. I WANTED HIM TO WIN AND AM SO GLAD HE DID. MY ONLY WORRY IS THAT HE WILL BE DOING TOO MUCH. I GUESS THEY WILL BE WAITING UNTIL HE HAS SURGERY AND , OR, TREATMENT FOR HIS AILMENTS. GOD BLESS YOU BRET. YOU ARE A WONDERFUL DAD AND A WONDERFUL , GIVING, PERSON.

kurtdaniel

its time for brett to stop rocking.his body is sending so many warnings.i agree.he has nothing to prove. he needs to stop,seize life and smell the roses.many people aren't as lucky to get so many warnings.the hell with the apprentice and tour. i think the stress of doing oprah, and trying to please trump for ratings are playing havoc with this man's physical, mental and emotional health. http://takelessons.com/category/guitar-lessons

TheTruthAsISeeIt

Oh my gosh, this is terrible news. Is his bandana okay?

dierdre

I am a huge Bret Michaels fan....and i totally love him...but he really needs to rest....the next incident, he won't be so lucky...this man so far, has had 9 lives, like a cat, but no one lives forever...your too young Bret...get well first....THEN ROCK ON>>>>>>You'll get thru this one I'm sure...REMEMBER "EVERY ROSE HAS IT'S THORN>>>>>LOVE YOU >>>>REST BABY REST......

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10