Bret Michaels

Hospitalized for Heart Problems

5/20/2010 6:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret MichaelsBret Michaels was rushed back to the hospital this week where doctors claim they found a "hole in the heart."

According to Bret's rep, the singer was complaining about "numbness on the left side of his body, predominately his face and hands."

After a series of tests, doctors concluded that Michaels had suffered a "Transient Ischemic Attack -- more commonly referred to as a "warning stroke."

During the tests, the doctors say they found that Bret had a Patent Forum Ovale -- which is essentially a hole in the heart.

Doctors say Bret's condition is "operable and treatable." The docs also don't believe the "warning stroke" is related to Bret's brain hemorrhage.

Bret will be treated with outpatient care -- which includes a daily injection of a blood thinner.

Bret's rep also notes that the singer is in "good spirits, great medical hands and is positive and hopeful that everything is going to be OK."

The rep concludes, "He is up, walking, talking, continuing his daily rehab and very happy to be alive but he has made it clear he is sick and tired of being in the hospital and is ready to rock again."

Previous Today in TMZ History

Janet

He's between a rock and a hard place now

MintJelly

bandanas are bad luck

Cayenne

@Yumyum- you are awesome for explaining this in medical terms, and I know you are...back atcha!

JLS

Bret! The message is clear here: Take a few months off. If you don't, I fear for your life. I understand you being sick of BEING SICK, but this is really serious stuff. Please!

WOW...

Good God...talk about 9 lives....i think this is a clear message...time to take it easy and spend time with the family....the real fans will understand...My prayers are with you Bret.. God speed

Carrie

THIS COMMENT IS DIRECTED TO THE TV SHOW TMZ. I WAS JUST FLIPPING THROUGH CHANNELS AND NOTICED IT ON, A BUNCH OF PEOPLE STAND AROUND SOME OFFICE YAPPING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLES BUSINESS. WELL, THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT BRETT MICHAELS AND CHELY WRIGHT BEING ON OPRAH, AND SAYING CRAP LIKE "HEY TOP THIS OPRAH, I AM GAY AND HAVE A BRAIN HEMMHORAGE" YOU SHOULD BE BLOODY ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES FOR MAKING FUN OF ANYONE, ESPECIALLY SOMEONE WHO ALMOST DIED AND LEFT A WIFE AND 2 DAUGHTERS. GO GET A DIFFERENT JOB, AND MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL IN SOCIETY WOULD YA?!

Curtis

OMG!!! Bret - man - Rest. I just lost my mother 2 months ago and she got to travel and do everything she wanted to do before she died. I implore you - take time off - please and get well. Come back stronger and fit and ready to rock. We your fans will still be here when you get back. Please dude - I beg you. Rest.

Chammy

OMW Brett Michaels; GOD is trying to tell you something! Don't tempt fate... stay home and rest rest rest for a good long while. Life is too short, take care of yourself NOW before it's too late. Be here for your family, forget about the money. It is not important.
Get well for as long as it takes.
You are in our prayers

ARod

Looks like God is definetely trying to tell Brett something. I think he needs to rest and enjoy some quality time with his beautiful little girl. Brett's like a cat with nine lives. By my count he's got five lives left 1) Bashed on the head 2) burst appendix 3) Brain Anneurism 4) Hole in the heart. I'm sure he's had other crazy things happen in his super rock star days.

Pretty LL

Ugh, daily blood thinner shots sucks!!! Those injections are really painful. I feel bad for the guy

Amy

BRET!

As someone who had hoped to marry you back when I was 15 let me ask you to take it easy! Don't rush to go back on tour just yet. Spend time with your kids and your girlfriend. Don't let the people profiting off of pressure you.
Your little girls will want their little girls to meet their grandpa. Living hard and dying young is stupid if you have something to live for.

MariJoy

No WAY should a person who has had a brain hemorrhage be put on blood thinning meds...WTF are his doctors THINKING??

kickaboo

Bret, time to follow the doctor's orders to a T. Listen to Kristi and love up on those beautiful girls of yours, that will help you recover and pass the time more then anything. Your fans will wait, we just want you well, man. Oh yeah, Kristi is on your side..don't forget it.

Kimberly Acuna

I had a stroke in 2005 and am now living a full life. It's a long road to recovery but Brett has the best Doctors that money can buy and I have every confidence that he will recover from this experience. It is a "wake-up" call.

Evelyn J. Kern

Bret takes some time off at home and get some rest!! Please!!!!
I love you on or off stage