Bret Michaels - Pre-Stroke Linked to Brain, Appendix

5/21/2010 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels' doctor is now claiming that the "warning stroke" the rocker suffered this week was "most likely" triggered by the effects of his recent appendectomy and brain hemorrhage.

0520_bret_michaels_zabramski_BN

According to Dr. Joseph Zabramski -- Bret’s neurosurgeon at the Barrow Neurological Institute -- both of the previous events can cause a person to enter into a particular state, in which blood clots can form inside of blood vessels, thus causing the "warning stroke."

But Zabramski notes that because Bret reacted so quickly to the symptoms -- and got his ass to a hospital -- doctors were able to diagnose the problem accordingly.

As far as Bret's current state, the Doc tells us, "Bret's brain and body are not yet 100 percent, especially with this recent episode."

Ozzie X

I'm not a fan of the guy and wish him the best, but I got to give him credit. He has all these ailments and he still wants to go on tour and appear on The Apprentice finale. I don't know if it should be commended or regarded as sheer stupidity

Heather

As many people have said - Bret PLEASE just take it easy for a while. Relax and take it easy for at least a few months. We will wait for you. We'd rather you take care of yourself and give your body a break.

rad

I smell a lawsuit if Bret should choose to pursue one? Surgeons are notoriously bad at providing prophylaxis for just this sort of thing which would appear to be a deep vein thrombosis. This dude has nine lives as most clots would have gone to the lung but he had a small one take a bypass and cause no damage but prompted investigation and treatment. He is one lucky dude!

Mama Mia

I could tell that during the Oprah interview the right side of Brett's face was showing signs of stroke. Swollen right eye, uneven smile,tilted head. Take care Brett, don't push yourself!

ylg

Umm. What happened to patient confidentiality?

Tinalouise

#21 I noticed the same thing when he was on Oprah.
And to everyone telling him to "give up his touring and stay home" maybe this is how he supports his family and needs the money...it is a possibility.

namers

I noticed that too except that it was said that symptoms were on his 'left side' and if he's facing the camera, the affect we see is on his right side.

mrsj

To #21 & 23 (Tina louise and Mama Mia)
I noticed it too, On Wednesday after the Oprah show, his rep put this on his website regarding a question about that-
"Yes, there is a slight, noticeable drooping on one side of Bret's face. Yes, this is a result of the hemorrhage and possibly exacerbated by some of the medications he is on."
So I guess he has been like that since the hemorrhage, it wasn't from the TIA (mini stroke).

I fit into my bikini!

Bret is one of the best there is...I always have to wonder about ppl that say cruel things about someone who is still not 100% at his best, someone you don't know and the father of two precious little girls that can read this someday..he's not out of the woods yet, think u can refrain from the low down comments? Sick people in this world.. all the best to Bret and his family, never met a nicer guy than him.

cherryrn

He needs to rest, and recover or he is going to not be here like our Beloved Captain Phil. Life is very fragile. He has a lot of medical problems and needs to stop.

karen dixon

i always have liked bret michaels , I really pray he gets back to his self again , there is no certain age to have heart troubles anymore, it can happen at any age, get well bret.

GB

This case reminds me of the BP oil spill. All the spin about Bret being okay after such a procedure that anyone else would still be in intensive care for. The oil spill isn't getting fixed anytime soon and neither is he. His doctor's seem to be on the same optimism drug at BP. And I think Super Dave's #8 typeface boobs aren't getting anyone off but himself.

What the?

its been awhile since I went to med school...but really? no ****?

francesca fleury

BRETT, I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY AND SEND WELL WISHES TO YOU. YOU HAD THE WILL TO FIGHT AND LIVE FOR YOUR FAMILY , FRIENDS FANS AND MOST IMPORTANT FOR YOURSELF. TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEALTH SO YOU CAN CONTINUE TO BE THERE FOR ALL THOSE WHO LOVE YOU THE MOST. YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN. LOVE FRANNIE

sisi

OMG.....Bret go get a real job and stop making drama. This kinda stuff does not sell tickets! You seniors are a pain in the ,,,,,!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments