« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jose Lima Found Dead

5/23/2010 11:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Former MLB pitcher Jose Lima was found dead at home this morning of an apparent heart attack. He was 37.

His wife, Dorca Astacio, told ESPNdeportes.com, "Jose was complaining while sleeping and I just thought he was having a nightmare ... I called the paramedics, but they couldn't help him."

A rep for the L.A. County Coroner tells TMZ  the death is now under investigation, but that there are no signs of foul play.

Lima played 13 seasons for five different teams, the highlight being his 21 win season for the Houston Astros back in 1999.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

claudia

is a great pity, especially because he was a young man, and give a lot of work in the big leagues, remember him as a funny and exaggerated gestures in the face, God rest her soul!

Claudia
Diminican Republic

janalal4

Steroids double the average persons risk of premature heart attack. Sad that the next word that comes to mind these days when one hears the word: ATHLETE, is: STEROIDS?

I am sorry for his family's loss. I truly am. I certainly hope this does NOT turn out to be a case of the long term affect of steroid abuse or my next thought would be: Cocaine but feel this is less likely although certainly possible.

A remote possibility would be: Previously undiagnosed heart defect or 'condition' however, I say remote because considering he is an athlete, the number of mandatory physicals & ongoing health screenings that professional athletes surely must go thru would make the chance of him having an 'undetected' condition not very likely I would think. What one doc might miss would surely have been detected by the next & believe me, these guys definitely have far more than one doc examining them over the course of the average year I would think.

So sad. Celebrities & athletes dropping like flies. TIGHTER REGULATION & TESTING NEEDS TO BE INSTITUTED!! These professional sports organizations need to be far LESS concerned with revenues & MORE concerned with the ongoing health check-up & MAINTENANCE OF THEIR PLAYERS!

Mary

Please dont pass any judgements over his passing at such an early age. I knew Jose to be a great hearted man, very unselfish and always eager to help those less fortunate. I never saw or knew of Jose doing drugs. And just as Betsy stated earlier, he was very much against it and always ate healthy and took care of himself. He was so full of life and ther was never a dull moment in his life even when things were a bit rough. Jose wasnt only special...Jose was unique!!!! Rest in peace my good friend. I will always love you. Mary//Kiss/FL

Jane Koeller

tOO YOUNG TO LEAVE THIS WORLD!!!

momandpopshop

I'm calling "FOUL PLAY"...

Wendy

anyone with a smartass response can go to hell. Regardless of what the ultimate findings are on his death his family is in a stage of anguist right now. He had a son, he had a family, he had friends, he had fans. He was a colorful personality that I got to know along with a group of friends in Milwaukee over the years. He always brought a smile to your face and love to your heart. I pray for his son and family and personal friends.

SUN

Sad, and he may have had an undiagnosed genetic condition with his heart. Tacky to assume and write negative things at a time like this- when the autopsy report isnt back.

Cartman

Very sad indeed. RIP

Me

Descansa en Paz Jose Lima.

Stewart

Very sad story.

Oreo

We loved to watch him play, when he was here in Kansas City pitching for the Royals, especially at a time when there were not a whole lot of other reasons to look forward to the games. He was a Bright Ray of Sunshine during the dark times in our team's history. We will always miss you Jose, rest in peace our funny friend. All of Kansas City sends their love and prayers to his family and friends.

Oreo

@ #18 Melanie, My dad is one example of someone who dies at 37. He didn't drink, smoke, or do drugs. But on November 28, 1973, just 1 month, and 1 day after his 37th birthday, he had a massive heart attack and died on his sister's sofa, where he sat watching Tv with my Uncle while my Mom and Aunt were making dinner. It happens, and sometimes there is nothing to blame it on. Until that day, he had been very happy and healthy.

LOU WATSON

I was with LIMA in the minors(clubhouse mgr) you will meet a nicer person to be around in or out the clubhouse and as far as STEROID use stated by some other poster (IDIOT) JOSE never took anything as his eqpt mgr i would know. SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE JOSE.......

P.S YOU THE MAN

Anthony

Awesome pitcher!!! R.I.P. Jose Lima

dan the man

lima was awesome..we need more athletes like him

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments