Slipknot:

Paul Gray Was

'The Best of Us'

5/25/2010 7:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Members of the band Slipknot just held an emotional news conference about the death of the band's bassist Paul Gray -- calling him "the essence of the band."

Without their trademark masks, the entire band -- along with Paul's wife -- assembled in Iowa to remember Paul as a "really great friend and person."

Paul's death is currently being investigated by officials. So far, cops don't believe there was any foul play involved.

Elijah

30. Gee, two grotesque tattooed freaks say he was the best of us, thats wonderful, he was the best of the disgusting tatted freaks, that is really something to put on his tombstone, I was the best of the disfigured, horrible weird freaks, how wonderful

Posted at 8:11 PM on May 25, 2010 by Lisa

Wow, I'm not really a fan of the band but something about your comment makes me wish you would've been aborted by a rusty coat hanger. Bummer.

Eliana

@MikeP 4:54 pm The use of "important" and "metal acts" in the same sentence certainly qualifies as one of the top oxymorons of all times!

And thats the truth

1. Slipknot? Never heard of them and I'm sure most people haven't. Hardly worthy of a press conference. You might as well just be covering Corey Feldman's band.

Posted at 4:36 PM on May 25, 2010 by me not you

________________________________________________________________________

Just because you have not heard of this band does not mean they are not popular. I had never heard of Taylor Swift until the Grammy's but that does not mean she is not popular either. She is just not my genre of music, but, I would not trivialize her music because I have never heard of her. I personally do not listen to Slipknow but I know who they are and I am freaking 46 years old! I have known of them for years.

Ronnie

Does anyone know who the non band member was that was sitting between Corey and Joey? BTW, I am in my 40's and remember the classic metal. I love old metal but it is dated. Slipknot is current. Granted they have a DJ and percussion section but you have not seen a metal show until you see them live. In addition, someone criticized them for masks. Its just part of the show. Metal bands have always had elaborate stage shows. Its nothing new.

SunTzu77

Paul was consistently busted for drugs. I would bet his death was due to OD... if this is true... why didn't any of his *friends* ie band mates ever confront him? Still a sad loss for the music lovers everywhere.

judge marsha

Never heard of slipknot? a multimillion selling grammy award winning metal group? where have people been hiding lol i'm not a big slipknot fan but they made a unique and big mark in the rock world. Rip paul, my condolences to his pregnant wife.

disturbed

Here is a link to the FULL 8:50min news conference

@38 Ronnie, its Pauls older brother Jay.

To the people that are being disrespectful watch this clip to see who Paul really was

R.I.P Paul

FO REAL

BY ME NOT YOU: GET OUT OF THE ROCK YOUR UNDER.
SLIPKNOT IS A GREAT BAND.
IF YOU DONT KNOW WHO SLIPKNOT ARE, YOU SERIOUSLY ARE A LOSER.

THESE MUSICIANS HAVE TO REALIZE THEY HAVE YOUNG FANS THAT IDOLIZE THEM. OBVIOUSLY WHEN A DEATH IS REFFERED TO TOXICOLOGY, ITS DRUGS MOST LIKELY.
YOUNG KIDS SEE THIS AND REALIZE THAT THEIR IDOLS ARE FKD UP.
HE WAS A GREAT MUSICIAN BUT ITS NOT FAIR TO HIS FANS AND FAMILY THAT HE DIDNT GET HELP

Drew

It's pretty sad that a man almost 40 years old made a living trying to be scary to thirteen year old boys.

Good riddance.

Next!

Kory

I love how all of you ****s on here are knocking them for being tattooed freaks and degenerates to society but you gotta all remember, you guys are the ones jerking your meat and fingering your asses to the newest lady gaga and beyonce single, so get a god damn grip will you?

Pretty sure there is some breaking news on your queen Lohan due to break any moment about how she took a dump and Harvey fished it out of the toilet and found small traces of cocaine in her stool which all of you sheeps will go and start a conversation over.

Have fun with that, losers.

TattooGoddess

Wow Mick was a mess. He is hurting so bad. Man I feel sad to have never met Paul. Hell Im from Marshalltown Iowa. I should have made more of a effort to see him. I feel like a ass. My prayers go out to all of them. This is so sad to see. It makes my heart hurt.

Brittney

I grew up listening to them, and am fortunate to have seen them all in concert, something that can never happen again. Then again he died on my birthday so that was pretty unfortunate. ='(

Aredhel

How sad for them, I hope they can find some peace in this difficult time. And ignore the ignorant, if they haven't heard of Slipknot they have obviously been living in a cave or under a rock somewhere.
R.I.P Paul Gray, you'll always be remembered.

Zalen

...to everyone that is posting callous comments about Paul PLEASE just go away. If you arent interested in Paul or Slipknot, this is not the time or place to express it. Remember that he is someones husband, father, son, and brother. Why would you want to degrade his memory by your idiotic comments? Karma is a vengeful b**ch.

Niktini

LOL @ lisa....tattooed freaks? Really? You need to grow up and quit judging books by their cover. We don't judge you because you are covered in cellulite and a spray on tan. Heavily tattooed people are just as equal as the non tattooed. I have had my job for OVER 13 years now. I have full sleeves, and almost covered legs. i have a pension, 401k and probably make TWICE what you do if not more. So, instead of spewing your attacked on a comment thread and hating on people, go back to the mall, buy some more clothes at Forever 21 and save us the time of having to talk at you. You probably can't understand anyway. "Fer sure totally rad, im getting my roots colored" go away scuzz

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments