Jesse James' Stepmom -- Abuse Claim is 'Crap'

5/26/2010 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jesse James' former stepmom claims Jesse's allegation that his dad broke his arm when he was 7 years old "is a bunch of crap."

Janina James Coan, who was involved with Jesse's dad since Jesse was 6, tells TMZ she was "appalled" by what Jesse said about Larry James during the "Nightline" interview.

Coan -- who married Larry when Jesse was in high school but eventually divorced -- tells us Jesse had a variety of injuries -- including broken bones -- as a kid, because he was into motocross.   But she scoffs at the notion that Jesse was abused.

Coan says, "Larry was the most caring father, the kindest father who would do anything for anybody.  He loved Jesse to death and would brag about him all the time."

Coan does say, however, that Jesse and his dad don't get along.  The tension started, she claims, when Jesse was 16.  She claims Jesse's dad found out his son and a friend allegedly robbed a Fotomat and called the cops on him.  Coan says Jesse ended up in juvenile hall and was very upset that his dad turned him in.

CL

Jesse is obviously a serial liar. I will not believe a word the s*** has to say. He " doesn't want to get divorced "...NO Jesse you never should have gotten married if you just wanted to w*ore around. " I still love Sandra "...you have no idea what the word love even means.

tori

Jesse is taking the blame, don't you people hear?! He has every right to state why he did what he did and anyone who knows what it's like to be abused knows what he's talking about. Unless your in his shoes and have lived his life you have no right to say anything. If he's being truthful about how his father treated him, it would explain alot of things. I know from experience that being in any type of abusive relationship scars you,shames you and makes you do stupid things like not feel worthy of anything good in your life. I don't agree with what he did but if he is genuinely trying to change and learn why he's done what he's done and get help for it he should be given a 2nd chance. Everyone deserves at least that so unless you'd like to be judged for all your skeletonsin your closets, get a life and shut up!!

PacoHead

Jesse never said that the father broke his arm, he said he was being chased in the dark and during that event, he fell and broke his arm.

nonya bizness

DDAAAAMMMMMNN! why all the rage! yea, he cheated and it was wrong. But i seriously doubt a grown man is gonna cry on tv about his dad abusing him for sympathy. Personally I dont think he cares what anyone thinks of him. I wouldnt, my fam is the only people I would care about explaining anything 2. so quit hatin, you werent married 2 him!

beans

BOO! HOO got to blame the cheating on something...

Debby

It is very rare for an abuser to admit what they did so it is not surprising that Jessie's father is saying it is not true. Abusers will justify their behavior any way they can, even if it means completely changing history.

Jessie does have to take responsibility for his actions but his entire life should not be this one part. I hope he heals, I hope Sandra heals and I hope that the cycle of abuse can finally be broken.

chrissy

Do people not know how to read?? The article states

"Janina James Coan, who was involved with Jesse's dad since Jesse was 6".

"Coan -- who married Larry when Jesse was in high school but eventually divorced "

She was with Jesses father since Jesse was six and she got married to his father when Jesse was in High School. LEARN TO READ!

Um, wow...

So, IF the abuse claims ARE true, looks like that would have been incentive enough NOT to do the things he did to Sandra... I know people that have hurt me in my past have made me stronger, and I try harder NOT to end up like them!! Sounds like he just said it trying to gain sympathy, though... DOUCHE!!

Just Sayin

Blaming others for your mistakes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse James has not & will not change.

Holly

This woman needs to mind her own business.

whatthe

If his father was such a loving parent why is there an earlier video out there with his father stating he gave Jesse literature on White Supremacy when Jesse was younger?

Hmmmm

Really doesn't matter. I was beat by my dad when i was that age but that didn't result in me cheating on my wife when I was married. If you want to believe his BS that's up to you but I think he needs to take a REAL personal inventory instead of blaming other people for his character defects. He says he takes FULL responsibility for what he did yet turns around and blames it on his father. LOL-so feeble.

missy

so basically if you were abused as a kid it causes you to cheat??? hmm need to use that excuse he's such a douchebag.. i think the only reason he's sorry is because he got caught. i don't think his apology is genuine.

leslie

LOOK AT JESSE DOES HE LOOK HAPPY? AND YOU DIVORCED DAD, WHY? PLEASE KEEP THE SECRETS.

opinion

I did not watch the broadcast, but when I heard some of the reactions I pulled it up on the web. While watching I felt utterly repulsed by Jesse James and the show he was putting on. "If" he was abused then I feel for what he went through as I was abused as well. However, the way he described his abuse and how he kept stating that his father broke his arm is extremely suspicious. Due to my childhood I have devoted my education and career on studying child abuse, and his behavior raised a red flag. An abused child would have said "my dad was chasing me and I fell down." They do as much as they can to convince themselves that it is there fault and they asked for the outcome. The fact that he said "there are a lot of people that were abused who go on to abuse or go on to do drugs," seemed like he was excusing his behavior by saying that because he isn't doing drugs or beating Sandra then his action aren't as bad as those of other victims of abuse. His behavior and comments make me doubt his honesty as well as his sincerity.

Confessing that his actions were a ploy to push his wife away because he knew she would leave anyway, is a terrible attempt to gain sympathy. You don't cheat on your wife because you wanted to sabotage a great life, you do it because you are selfish and you think that you can get away with it. James used the Nazi picture as another example of him setting himself up to ruin his life and hurt himself. However, when asked about the picture in the interview he claimed that the Nazi picture was "a joke that was probably pretty funny in a party" and "if it came out by itself, people would have murmured a little and then it would have gone away." I find many disturbing things in those comments, it did not seem like sabotage but more like a stupid joke he made in order to entertain friends at a party. In his defense James claimed he doesn't have a racist bone in his body. If that was true then why would you feel posing in a Nazi hat and while displaying a Nazi salute would be funny? Why would you have a Nazi hat in your house in the first place? James stating that, if not attached to this current scandal then the pic wouldn't have been such a big deal is horrifying. This shows that he has no remorse, no respect for the victims of the holocaust, and that he believes his actions are being overly criticized only because he is "caught in a perfect storm and people are out for blood."

Before this media attention I did not know who Jesse James was, but this glimpse into his life shows just how much of a manipulating and pathetic P.O.S. he is. James feels enraged by all this press and attention that Sandra and his children are being exposed to. Ironically enough this statement is made during a highly publicized interview on a talk show. If he wasn't such a self absorbed Neanderthal he would have realized that doing the interview is only going to make things worse. Papers, television shows, and web site will continue to expose his children to this embarrassing scandal. The fact that they have to go to school knowing that all of their classmates know about their personal family problems make me sympathetic to family, with exception to James. If he had any respect for Sandra and his children and if he really cared about them he would have owned up to his actions and sought treatment without turning it into a publicity stunt. Sandra's reaction to James behavior shows that she is very smart, courageous, and wants the best four her new child Louie. Despite James' apologies and attempts to reconcile I am confident that now after seeing her future ex-husband for what he really is, Sandra will never trust him again.