Heidi Montag Calls It Quits with Spencer Pratt

5/29/2010 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Heidi Montag has separated from husband Spencer Pratt, TMZ has learned.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
Heidi's rep tells TMZ, "Heidi is looking to move out due to all the fake bad press that Spencer controls.  She's tired of it and is looking for a place and wants to focus on her acting career."

We're told Heidi -- pictured above with Spencer in Malibu last Friday -- is looking for a new place to live ... in Malibu.

As TMZ first reported, Heidi and Spencer called the police on Heidi's mom a few weeks back ...  so there's been plenty of turmoil.

A source close to Heidi and Spencer tells TMZ the tension in the relationship has been building for a while now ... "It wasn't just a sudden thing."

Now it makes sense ... On Tuesday, Heidi tweeted, "I am not Heidi Pratt, I am Heidi Montag."

UPDATE: Spencer's sister, Stephanie Pratt, tells TMZ, "I hope whether this statement is true or not that they are both happy in whatever life decisions they make."

Janet

Pass me one of Spenci's large crystals! I'M NOT BUYING IT!

CoolNerd

I call bull**** on this. Heidi has begun campaining to replace Megan Fox in Transformers 3, and this, along with the firearms demo she posted recently ("Michael Bay, this is for you...")is an obvious ploy to pique his interest. I don't know if she'd be willing to actually sleep with the guy while still married to Spencer (thereby blowing her "Christian" image) so a seperation allows her to do what she has to in order to land the role without compromising her marriage, although sleeping with somone you're not married to isn't consistent with Christian values, either.

LynzCatastrophe

Do not screw with me TMZ, i want this to be real and legit, not just saying that she needs a place to focus on her acting career, this sounds too good to be true, please please please!!

lola

Good. I hope she is leaving the freak but I think its mostly likely a publicity stunt being she isnt getting it off her weird looking mug and oversized boobs. That girl needs some mental help. Spencer too.

T JAMZ

ABOUT TIME THAT SHE WOKE UP ,,THOUGHT IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN ,

Jay

I WISH THEY CAN BOTH QUIT!!!

go home!

Liars. We all know it. Don't even do stories about these fools, they are untrue and this is what they want b/c they are desperate for press because no one cares about them!

sherri

I think she is making the right decision even though she is a no talent skank. Her husband is slightly retarded so I think he just needs to get into an assisted living home and be by himself.

KAM

OF COURSE SHE SPLIT....she got what she wanted some $$ for all the plastic...now she needs a SUGAR DADDY.....on to bigger/better
PLUS....he's looking like a caveman

sickofit

They have pulled so many "stunts" before, I am not sure if I believe it or not.

I would not bet on this yet.

Sharon

Come on TMZ! You should know better than anyone this is a publicity stunt! They will be "working things out" in a few hours. They are the dumbest celebrities alive."

Mo

Maybe their families shunning them got to their heads.

Mo

Since Evan admitted to watching the Hills...

Now that Spencer is out of the picture, do you think Lauren Conrad will come back for the Hills Finale?

Scotty

TMZ why are you covering these idiots? They are NOT celebrities. Spencer is CRAZY, and Heidi had her brain removed during her last plastic surgery. She seems totally vacuous now, and sad.

62moons

Heidi suffers from a bigger ego now that she altered her looks. Now she feels too good for Spencer. I'm not at all surprised by their breakup.