Bret Michaels -- From Deathbed to 'Idol' Judge?

5/29/2010 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels returned to the stage last night in Biloxi, MS where Bret dropped a huge piece of info on the crowd -- he might be taking Simon Cowell's seat on "American Idol."

Right before Bret played the classic "Every Rose Has Its Thorn," he told the crowd, "I can't say this is true yet, cause I don't know. Next year they asked me to possibly be the judge on 'American Idol.'" Very vague, but still ...

As for the rest of the show, one audience member told us, "I figured he'd be wobbly and sitting on a stool. But he was energetic, running around the stage with his guitar. It was like when I saw Poison years ago. It was a awesome show."

UPDATE: A source close to Bret tells TMZ Bret is "in the running to replace Simon" but that nothing is close to being done yet. A rep for FOX says they are not commenting on any speculation regarding Simon's replacement. Stay tuned ...

Rob

He fakes his illness's so he could further his career.. Since celebs always die in 3's maybe this 80's douche will be the 3rd.

Sashaa

I think it's a great idea that Bret replace Simon.

Jillian

Bret would make a great guest judge, or Kara replacement, since she bores me.

Know who would be great at being a judge?

SNOOP DOGG.

Seriously.

Proud2BeFemale

I think it sucks how Brett can run around with strippers and Hos from Rock of love....and be loved so much by everyone. Sure he isn't a bad lookin guy and he is talented. But isn't he married? Doesn't he have little girls of his own? Plus his health is just awful. I would think Brett would take better care of himself and not be going head first into all this fame. I just think it's double standard cause you let a woman behave this way and she gets called all kinda of horrible names. I wouldn't want my kids seein me on shows like rock of love either. But i do think if his health is better that being a judge is a good idea.

aquanet

Enough of this attention whore and his death bed BS. No one with all those healths issues would be running around all over the place - let alone touring, if it was as serious as he made them out to be. I'm not buying it. He may have had a health issue, but it couldn't have been nearly as life threatening as he and his PR people would lead you to believe. He's not super human.

A year ago he was a has-been on a sleazy, fake reality show, now you can't escape him, he's everywhere. Not because of his solo music, (because that wasn't selling), but because he's been milking the free publicty cow with his near death "experiences". Not just one mind you, but three! You fans are so lame. He put the bridge up for sale and you each bought one! LOL!

He shoudl just change his last name to Kardashian: when its translated it mean, "famous for no reason or real talent. Just because."

Bubbajk

Had to vote for Ryan - Bret is pushing himself way too hard and is heading for a major relapse. He can not make it through the entire season

Tinalouise

I hope this comes true.. I will watch again since I didn't care to watch at all this year!! Go Bret!!!

Susan

14. He faked the whole thing for press. He is bigger now than ever.

Posted at 10:54 AM on May 29, 2010 by Myself and I

How sick are you? No one is going to fake something like that for press. He almost died for God's sake....get a freaking life.

Detroit

Have to agree with #14.....I staring to believe the whole thing was a publicity stunt and shame on him if in fact that is the truth.Please explain to me how he is able to make all the shows and appearances with what he has allegedly been through the appendectomy,the brain hemorrhage,two stokes and now the whole in his heart. look at the dates people he had the hemorrhage last month with the first stroke...had a second stroke just ten day's ago...Bull Sh*t!!

S

You guys really need to put a "who cares options" in your survey's. Because who really cares??

carole

when does Brett EVER spend time with his 2 little girls? NEVER, i would imagine. his man-whoring and fame-whoring takes up all his time.. now his brain bleed/heart trouble. do all the FANS have to watch him DROP DEAD on stage or does he have a brain surgeon and heart surgeon/operating room on his tour bus. just in case!!!!

Betsy Newhouse

Great guy - but wayyyyyyyyy too nice.

My vote is for 1) Diddy 2) Gene Simmons. Diddy first because he has more producing experience.

Truth

I'm really sick of hearing about this guy's every move.

sleepynb

Hmm. How much of this near-death illness is real?

yuck foo

SOOOOOOOO annoying....all these so-called fans can't even spell BRET's name correctly. for f**ks sake people! it only shows his name a thousand friggin' times! BRET not brett. i don't give 2 sh*ts for the guy, but cmon! if you're going to profess your undying love for him, get his name right! BRET BRET BRET BRET. got it?