Bret Michaels -- From Deathbed to 'Idol' Judge?

5/29/2010 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels returned to the stage last night in Biloxi, MS where Bret dropped a huge piece of info on the crowd -- he might be taking Simon Cowell's seat on "American Idol."

Right before Bret played the classic "Every Rose Has Its Thorn," he told the crowd, "I can't say this is true yet, cause I don't know. Next year they asked me to possibly be the judge on 'American Idol.'" Very vague, but still ...

As for the rest of the show, one audience member told us, "I figured he'd be wobbly and sitting on a stool. But he was energetic, running around the stage with his guitar. It was like when I saw Poison years ago. It was a awesome show."

UPDATE: A source close to Bret tells TMZ Bret is "in the running to replace Simon" but that nothing is close to being done yet. A rep for FOX says they are not commenting on any speculation regarding Simon's replacement. Stay tuned ...

Shaytan

Shayde

Gene Simmons is the logical replacement for Simon.

Smooch

I like Bret and think he has the music background but the man is a confessed womanizer who leers, hits on and makes very un-necessary sexual remarks towards woman (people have seen his VH1 shows right? right??). I don't want to see that on Idol...at all! And - something just doesn't sit right with me about any of this. His illnesses, Celebrity Apprentice, defying Dr's orders, appearance on Idol and all of a sudden Simon replacement?

Why? Because he did a duet with Casey James? Alice Cooper opened the show. Does that mean he is up for Simon's seat too?

beachy

I have never watched ONE episode of American Idol. It's a cheap-axx moneymaker for a network that doesn't have any new ideas for original programming.

Having said that, I might even tune in if Bret was a co-host. He has overcome super-human obstacles and has shown he is nice, he is a survivor and he is determined!

What is Ryan Secrest? A closeted mo that was never more than some radio talk show host.

I say hire Bret!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not even a heavy metal fan, but Bret has my heart now.

Laura

It would be great to see Bret on Idol. I've decided to base my opinion on whether to watch or not next season on the choice of Simon's replacement. This one would work for me. I do wish he'd slow down. His next concert is here in Mo. in an outdoor arena and it's rather warm and humid here today. Love you Bret, take care of yourself, everyone wants you around for a very long time!

tiv

TMZ You keep trying to push Ryan to be a judge !! Ryan cant be replaced as host !! no one can take his place Ryan makes the whole show and he dont know nothing about music like Bret does or any of the other judges except for Ellen she is just funny and great so leave it alone and stop trying to push Ryan as a judge never happen

Elisa

Bret would be great as Simons replacement. He knows the music business in and out. He’s written and preformed hit songs in front of 1000’s of people. None of the current judges know what its like to be a top recording artist. Sure Kara writes hit songs for other singers and Randy was a guitarist in Journey but none of them were as famous as Bret was in his day. He’s also extremely creative and I feel will be honest when critiquing the contestants without being overtly obnoxious.

I'MWITHCOCOFORREAL

The person who's going to take over Simon's spot needs to be brutally honest like Simon. Brett would just sugarcoat his judgements.

beachy

33. Am I the only one who is starting to think this whole thing was a PR Move? God I Hope I'm wrong!

Posted at 11:29 AM on May 29, 2010 by Shaytan
*************

Man - can you spell CYNICAL? Dude or dudette, you need to get a life. Maybe crawl outta Granny's basement and see the light.

Yes, his diabetes, his hemorrage and his TIA were all a big bad ploy to suck in fans. You are an embarrassment to those of us that belong to something called mankind.

Now, go feed Granny's cat and put on that tinfoil hat. It'll be alright...

TessaKittysMom

I vote they just cancel Idol, all it is is glorified karaoke anyway.

tiv

BEACHY SOOOOOO TRUE THAT PERSON IS ONE IGNORANT JERK TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT WOW GO BACK UNDER YOUR ROCK # 33 WOW JUST CANT BELIVE SOME PEOPLE ON HERE

Linda

He is the new IT guy. sorry haters. America loves a real comeback story and today it's Bret.

Personally, I got a kick out of him on celeb apprentice. Other people on that show were boring. He and Sharon were fun.

tiv

I agree Linda i saw a whole different side of Bret he is a sweetheart and very smart guy

carole

Bret is on tonight in St Louis, Mo. Soldiers Plaza. Admission: only 5.00. its the annual Rib Festival. c'mon ya all and go see the KING!!!!! time 9pm-11:15pm.

MissAnn

Elton John is not going to want a permanent spot judging an American talent show. I think Bret would be a great replacement. His career is music and he's got a great personality. Ryan is more of a host. He's really not qualified to be a judge on muscial talent.