Bret Michaels -- From Deathbed to 'Idol' Judge?

5/29/2010 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels returned to the stage last night in Biloxi, MS where Bret dropped a huge piece of info on the crowd -- he might be taking Simon Cowell's seat on "American Idol."

Right before Bret played the classic "Every Rose Has Its Thorn," he told the crowd, "I can't say this is true yet, cause I don't know. Next year they asked me to possibly be the judge on 'American Idol.'" Very vague, but still ...

As for the rest of the show, one audience member told us, "I figured he'd be wobbly and sitting on a stool. But he was energetic, running around the stage with his guitar. It was like when I saw Poison years ago. It was a awesome show."

UPDATE: A source close to Bret tells TMZ Bret is "in the running to replace Simon" but that nothing is close to being done yet. A rep for FOX says they are not commenting on any speculation regarding Simon's replacement. Stay tuned ...

zuzuspetals

I want Bette Midler and Barry Manilow!!!!!!!!! they would be a riot!!!!
or how about Barbara Streisand??? Bret isn't big enough.

Shay

I love both Bret and Ryan but the best person to replace Simon is none other than Boy George!!!! He as the experience, style, attitude and would tell it like it is!!!! He is a living legend!!! :o)

jessica

Honestly, i think p. diddy should replace simon... he does know a lot about music and he makes his own bands, like a sims game...lol... but he has the knowledge and know what it takes to make it in the business.

but brett i guess could be a judge..

David

JOIN THIS FACEBOOK GROUP HELP MAKE BRET MICHAELS THE NEW AMERICAN IDOL JUDGE!!

Crystalweb

I never even knew who he was before he got sick,if he became Judge,,that would surely be the end of watching for me,,they need a big name figure here to save it,,

michele lynn

Glad You are back to doing what you love to do! I would love to see you replace Simon on Amercian Idol!

Dorothy

"Myself and I" is right. Brett Michaels and his crew have fabricated this whole health story from the beginning. Have heard this from various sources. It'll come out as it always does, but it's sad that media is so quick to spread all of this B.S. for the sake of ratings.

Go dig up the dirt TMZ. That is what you guys do. Right?? Or maybe not....

Jay

I love Bret but he is way way way too nice to replace Simon. Idol needs to go for more of a Dr. House type.

Jordan

There is a Facebook group devoted to Bret becoming the new judeg!

diggz

why shouLd bret get iht? b/c he almost died? ... no. ryan isNt that good of a choice but still better than bret

sharon

I'm patiently waiting on that person who was close to him, to write a 'tell all book' about how Bret OVER EXAGGERATED his illness for PR. No way a person can recover so quickly for all those 'near death experiences' that happened back to back within a month to be able to keep every talk show interview, make every trip, making guest appearances on shows and now touring.

Crystalweb

If it is true about his illness then I wouldn't want him as a judge in any capacity,,I don't want to see a man commit suicide,,
Besides,,Idol needs someone who is well established,,and known in all circles,,this would be a travesty,,bye ,,Idol,,

missjen13

If Bret Michaels takes over as a judge on Idol I will never ever watch that show again! Such a bad decision and Bret will not boost any ratings but rather drop them to an all time low because so many people are sick of hearing about him!

kimela

YEA GIVE US SOME BRETT !! I LOVE YOU AND YOUR BANDANA !!

Stephanie

Love you Bret!!! I would love to see you on Idol. I would start watching again but you should take it easy for a while like your doctors want you to. We'll still love you even if your not in the limelight for a bit.