Hospital: Coleman's Ex Had Right to Decide His Fate

6/3/2010 8:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0528_gary_coleman_BN_Getty_03Gary Coleman gave his ex-wife Shannon Price permission to make medical choices for him -- including life or death -- according to the Utah hospital where Gary died.

Utah Valley Regional Medical Center released a statement saying Gary had signed an "Advanced Health Care Directive that granted Shannon Price permission to make medical decisions on his behalf if he was unable to do so."

Hospital officials say that document remains in effect, regardless of marital status -- unless the patient changes it.

Price's right to make Gary's medical choices was called into question when it was revealed that they had secretly divorced in 2008.

electriczipper

Listen you dummies,I grew up playing the game "Operation" so I am qualified to make medical decisions and I do believe I could have saved him with a bandaid and some ice,but I also agree qith Mr Pipp and it was Professor Plum with the candlestick that did him in.The midget only had a few months left anyways....

who-Dey

Holy Crap, Una!! Great, great, GREAT post!!!!

Pretty LL

The scary thing about the directive is they give it to you when you arrive. If you are in shock or dazed, you could sign it simply because it's part of the admitting paperwork. If she was filling out his paperwork for him and just having him sign or initial, she could have listed Mickey Mouse and he would have signed it.

Grump

She should still be investigated based on her 911 response and manner of handling the call; such as not wanting to assist him. Also, their tumultuous past. I don't like to judge anyone, but she has aroused alot of suspicion.

My friend just suffered a massive heart attack and his wife still waited 5 days until taking life support from. If I knew my better half loved me, I wouldn't doubt them only because of a few comments on here.

Pot, meet kettle

I think the hospital is just covering its ass. When did he sign that do***ent? I call bull**** on this.

Gene

Facts: shannon had legal power of attorney given to her by Gary himself in a signed and notorized Medical Directive. Gary had so little money that Shannon's brother paid $500 on one of Gary's hospital bills. Shannon DID call 911 to get help, if she wanted to kill him, she would have waited until he was dead before calling 911.Shannon should never have gotten involved with Gary. Gary was a violent person, with uncontrollable anger issues, and was 18 years older than Shannon. It sounds like she stood up for herself, and fought back, she also must have cared to some degree, cause she kept coming back to him, even after they were divorced. she should have run and never looked back in 2008.

Gene

I said it before; Shannon did absolutely nothing illegal. As far as the law goes, unless it is found that she indeed did cause the injury to Gary Coleman's head, then she is not guilty legally. However, in the court of public opinion, she is guilty of indifference, lack of empathy, concern and self preservation. None of which are illegal. She DID call 911, she did get him a towel, she did care enough to do that much. We don't know, cause we weren't there folks, if you listen carefully, you will hear stress and anxiety in her voice, she is trying to hold it together so she won't go into a seizure, perhaps she is an epileptic and she herself wasn't feeling well. Again only the 911 call to go on here.

Una

59. Holy Crap, Una!! Great, great, GREAT post!!!!
Posted at 8:32 AM on Jun 3, 2010 by who-Dey

*******************************************

Thank you, who-Dey, but I just told the truth. Now here is another truth: when I first arrived at the hospital conscious, I was asked to sign a consent for surgery. It is my understanding that Gary was also conscious. If I’m mistaken, please feel free to correct me.

Each consent form was explained to me, handed to me for review and I was asked if I understood. No one asked for an End of Life Directive until after the second of three surgeries. In fact, no one asked me if I wanted to sign one in the moment. They were more concerned with trying to save my life than they were with figuring out how to end it. By the time I had my second surgery, my situation had become more critical and they became concerned about the possibilities. They asked me if I already had one in place which I did. I had one that was written, signed and notarized a number of years ago along with a Durable Power of Attorney.

I gather some people believe that the staff snuck a Directive into a stack of do***ents for him while he was “incompetent to do so” and that is an accusation of fraud. Today you judge someone else, tomorrow it could be you and someone you love in the same situation. Please, make sure you know the facts before you make emotional and judgmental statements about anyone especially about such a serious and emotionally charged situation. In case some care, innocent people are permanently and irreparably damaged by unsubstantiated judgments and gossip.

Una

59. Holy Crap, Una!! Great, great, GREAT post!!!!
Posted at 8:32 AM on Jun 3, 2010 by who-Dey

*******************************************

Thank you, who-Dey, but I just told the truth. Now here is another truth: when I first arrived at the hospital conscious, I was asked to sign a consent for surgery. It is my understanding that Gary was also conscious. If I’m mistaken, please feel free to correct me in a respectful way.

Each consent form was explained to me, handed to me for review and I was asked if I understood. No one asked for an End of Life Directive until after the second of three surgeries. I had one already written, signed and notarized along with a Durable Power of Attorney.

I gather some people believe that the staff snuck a Directive into a stack of do***ents for him to sign and that is an accusation of fraud. Today you judge someone else, tomorrow it could be you and someone you love in the same situation. Please, make sure you know the facts before you make emotional and judgmental statements about anyone especially about such a serious and emotionally charged situation. Just in case you care, innocent people are hurt by unsubstantiated judgments and gossip.

Una

I have no idea why my posts are being duplicated, sometimes in part and sometimes in entirety. Nevertheless, I apologize to everyone for the inconvenience.

Gsharon 710

I really don't give a flip what papers were signed. The hospital has to save their behinds. When someone has been arrested for domestic violence, you do NOT let them pull the plug so soon.

If you have heard the emergency call, then unless you are a slow wit you can see she didn't care to help put pressure on the bleeding wound.

Her concern was NOT for Gary but herself and her dog. How the heck did she get blood on her? Why could she not stay in the area Gary was in.

No one can say at this point if she or someone she knows assisted Gary in his fall, but with all the information given, Gary is worth having it clear that it was indeed an accident.

I will say it again....If the situation was reversed, Gary would be in jail. That town, the police, and employees at the hospital has surely heard about the abuse that went on in that house, yet they allowed her to give permission to pull the plug.

All we are saying is, do the right thing and let us believe in our justice system. The officers in the Simpson case immediately remembered being called to his home for abuse, so maybe they need to send some California Officers to investigate.

The hospital has lost credibility, so it is up to us to make sure Gary's death was just an accident.

marson

If Gary had a advance directive and Shannon was named power of attorney it is legal. He knew he had alot of medical problems so it would be normal for him to name someone as who could make medical decisions if he couldn't. I am sure the doctors told her there was no hope or she wouldn't have discontinued the life support. Doctors would intervene if they didn't think it was best for Gary.

Lia

He had a head injury! How could he have changed his mind from when he signed original papers!?? He was out of it this time around!
I say it was Shannon who pushed him down stairs except he didnt black out or die so she hit him over the head with a hard heavy object that she got rid of before cops came thats why she couldnt help Gary I heard her walking around all crazy she could have helped she was just busy getting rid of incrimiating evidence
!!Omg I should work for CSI1! seriously though... Ive fallen in my house and never was "blood everywhere" a result of my or anyone else's fall!! Sounds fishy!!

Sara

When someone dies or is hurt outside of medical care, there is always an investigation. He was already sick and having problems, so the fact that he fell because of a seizure seems probable. It happens all the time. Gary Coleman, you will be missed.

Una

When I was twelve years old, I was ordered to take my four-year-old nephew to the movies for the afternoon. Being young, he was a bit unsettled and squirmed in his seat. As a result, he slipped and banged his head. And yes, the police were called and there was blood everywhere even though it only took two stitches to close him up. Anyone who has sustained a head wound knows that they tend to bleed rather profusely.

I have fallen in my home also without leaving a hint of blood anywhere. But I guess that must be because I didn't hit and lacerate my head.

Stop creating scenarios in your own heads about things you know nothing about.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments