Armenian Church

Sues Getty

Over 'Magical' Bible

6/2/2010 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Western branch of "the oldest organized Christian Church in the world" is suing the J. Paul Getty Museum in L.A., demanding the return of 7 pages from a "magical" 750-year-old bible that was allegedly stolen during the Armenian Genocide of 1915-1918.

0602-zeytun-getty-getty-BN-credit

doc_launch_small_200In documents filed yesterday in L.A. County Superior Court, the Western Prelacy of the Armenian Apostolic Church of America claims The Getty "acted in complete disregard" for the Church's rights in 1994 when it bought "stolen" pages of the Zeyt'un Gospels Bible.

The Church claims the Zeyt'un Bible was created for Constantine I by "the master illuminator T'oros Roslin" in 1256, and is one of Armenia's most valued national treasures.  The Church believes the book "wielded supernatural powers."

When the Turks invaded Armenia in 1915, the suit claims, descendants of a royal Armenian family fled with the Bible, with whom it was thought to be safe.  Yet, when the Bible was returned to Armenia following WWII, 7 key pages were missing ... pages that turned up at The Getty.

The Church claims it learned the Getty Museum had the pages in 2007, but the Getty has refused to return it.  Now, the Church is asking the court to order the pages returned, and for damages of $35 million.

Y

# 12 get your facts straight! It wasn't a war it was Mass deportation and yes it was a genocide! and Bodrum you really need to be educated you can have an Armenian help you out there. you are really jealous of Armenians, dont you wish you were Armenian. Also the Obama issue is over your head you dont have the brain power to understand Some people just cant handle the truth.

Susan

I'm a Turk and I KNOW the Armenian Genocide happened because my grandparents witnessed it. I feel sorry for the Armenians because nobody wants to hear the truth.

X

Love how all the people that say religion is a bunch of crock are the ones that get the most angry over it.

Mike

Just what this city needs, another lawsuit. Give the stupid pages and more on with it. So stupid. Who really gives a ****.

casperik

hey yeahyeah what senceless things are u talking about the only thing armenians have even talked about was for 1.5 million ppl being slughtered and for stupid americans like u to recognize it. Another thing all you people saying this is stupid, its not its apart of the armenian people its a part of history. Also as for Professor Obvious the armenian church is not trying to get money or recognition from other churches so you trying to be smart, failed. I would like you to know the the aremenian people were the first christion nation so the armenian church has enough recognition thank you very much. People like you are the reason I hate my own contry sometimes. Some of you people are so rude pulling things out of your ass trying to sound smart when u know nothing about the other persons culture or history. Thoes of u talking like your big **** your very ignorent and its sad.

Osik

I was not surprised, Paul Getty Museum is well known for buying stolen items from Italy, Germany, France and from wherever possible which apparently also from Armenians.
If I’m the judge in addition to the law suit amount I’ll order the museum also pay a specific percentage of the gross income since inauguration of the Museum till return of the item with compound average interest of period to be added to the asking amount; also the judge should order them to provide a “Where did you get this item from?” list of all items in that Museum, this reminds me that The Shah of Iran created such rule in sixties and since some people including himself where excluded then it turned to a street joke; but here I guess in this case can be done and anything not included in the list can be confiscated.
We have seen numbers of movies that towards the end of the WW II there were all kinds of antique paintings and other art effects that was stolen by German officers stacked in train wagons got in Russian and US hands which some of those hands where sticky and those items showed up in US markets.

818Armenian

@Hawk: well said

@professor bleeges(bleeges means you are a small penis): you're just plain ignorant

@proudarmenian: it's ok to live in Turkey and have Turks as friends. There are many good civilians that do not partake in politics or wrongful history.

@bodrum: senin ananin amini sikerim. I would love to sign a contract fight against you whenever you feel brave enough to step away from the internet and physically back your words up.

My take: stolen property should always be returned to it's rightful owner. If requested and denied, then monetary compensation is justifiable. And as far as today's Kardashians are being spoken of, they at least had the right mind to speak on it on April 24th in their twitter feeds and bring attention to it (genocide). You call them sluts but have no reason, I guess none of you ever ********* with your partners. And another thing, Robert Kardashian was a VERY well respected attorney before he passed away. He is the real reason why you even know the name.
818 Armenian

Zungi

818Armenian, well said.

I feel bad for the Bolsahye...peace on earth was it? i know his fear and concern. There are so many cool Turkish people on Earth and we do nothing but rip on them. But can you blame us? Their government is toying with our dignity. They hit hard politically and we try to hit harder. Civilians who could be great friends end up paying the price with souls dirtied with hatred... I love Turkish people, I love Armenians, but they both know how to piss each other off. Politics=Devil. We got screwed over by the Nationalistic Young Turk regime and we don't know how to redeem ourselves but play dirty politics.. This is the game... if you can't play it... your on the wrong planet.

Zungi

Another thing, I really and truly hope that no one doubts what happened 95 years ago. If you truly beleive this was a made up "genocide" then you have not really done adequate research from third party sources. The thing is, Armenians lobby like crazy and do anything for the recognition. But the history books described the events as ethnic cleansing before the word "genocide" was even coined. The word only appeared after the Holocaust. Does that exclude it form being a Genocide. The whole world knows what happened to the Armenians in 1915. The only reason we are loud now is because labeling it as a "genocide" may give us the right to reparations and restitution of some sort. We are looking for political gain by asking it to be called a genocide... otherwise, I hope no Turk or Third party foreigner is foolish enough to believe this never happened.

AnnaO

PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE DENYING THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE!!!! They are most likely turks living their or abroad. IT IS A FACT THAT YOU CAN NOT SPEAK OF THE GENOCIDE IN TURKEY OR YOU WILL BE PROSECUTED. AN ARMENIAN JOURNALIST LIVING IN TURKEY WAS MURDERED BECAUSE HE WAS WRITING ABOUT THE FACTS OF THE GENOCIDE IN HIS NEWS PAPER THAT HE OWNED. SO MY QUESTION IS OBVIOUS TO THESE DENIERS...HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE WHEN ITS BAND TO EVEN SPEAK OF IT IN YOUR COUNTRY. WHERE INNOCENT PPL ARE STILL MURDERED AND PROSECUTED IN TURKEY FOR SPEAKING OR WRITING ABOUT IT?????? HOWWWWW??? simple you don't know $hi*** that is why you and your govt spend millions upon millions of dollars trying to cover it up...I learned all i needed about the genocide here in the Los Angeles School district, not a buncha Armenian pushing the subject. So why would a country like the USofA teach us in its history books about it if it werent real??? I mean i along with ne normal healthy thinking human would know the only reason its not signed and completed is because of politics NO OTHER REASON. CUS THEY SURE AS HELL HAVE THE FACTS...SO GO AHEAD ALLL YOU HATING TURKES AND SUCH..SCREAM, SHOUT GIVE THE NEIGHBORS SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT, BUT THE TRUTH WILL REMAIN AND IT WILL BE RECOGNIZED ALL OVER THE WORLD...ALREADY MANY MANY COUNTRIES INCLUDING 42 STATES HERE IN AMERICA RECOGNIZE IT. AND TO ALL YOU IGNORANT RACIST PILES OF CRAP STFU WITH UR GENERALIZATIONS ON ARMENIANS...YOU ARE ALL JUST JEALOUS...MINUS THE FEW BAD FRUITS THAT MAKE STATISTICS, AS IN ANY RACE, WHAT WE GOOD ONES CONTRIBUTE TO THIS GREAT NATION AND TO THE WORLD IS SOMETHING THAT NOT A LOT OF OTHERS CAN OFFER. AND I MISSPELLED THINGS ON PURPOSE FOR THE LIL ****T COLLEGE PROFESSORS WE HAVE IN HERE CAN HAVE SOMETHING TO DO SINCE HE IS JUST TWIRLING HIS THUMBS KISSS MY Y.A.N ASSS ALL YOU HATERS. go ahead grade, teacher and tell me aallll my mistakes...pcs of ****t not even worth the lil dirt in between my toes.

Kardashi-Don't

LOL at the dumb Armenians with their negative comments. I'm so glad I'm not Armenian because if I was, I would be a big fat ugly hairy unibrowed bitch from Glendale that lives at his mom's house and smells like ****.

alla

Getty should return the bible. Armenians are the first nation to accept Christianity. And the rest of the hateful crap the turks are writing in the comments... should stop.

Devi

Why is TMZ covering this? If I see one more Kardashian comment I'm going to throw up. They are HALF Armenian, their father died and they have absolutely nothing to do with this article or the Armenian community. Also what does the genocide have to do with them getting their holy do***ents back? They should just give them back.

Kardashi-Don't

818 Armenian do you have a unibrow? Do you live in Glendale? Do you drive your car over the speed limit on residential streets and terrorize your neighbors?
Yeah...thought so.
Merat kunem boz!

Miner

So US is right cuz he`s not accepting it as a genocide, but all the other countries in the world, that recognize whatever happened in 1915 as genocide BASED ON FACTS, THEY`RE WRONG?.

By the way if you really want to know about Turks, watch the movie "MIDNIGHT EXPRESS". dirtiest mother ****ing race.

I wonder why Europe is not accepting them.