« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ron Artest Buys $18,000 in Lakers Tix for Fans

6/3/2010 7:19 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

With Game 1 of the NBA Finals starting in just a few hours -- TMZ has learned two Los Angeles Lakers fans will be sitting courtside at the Staples Center ... on Ron Artest's dime.

0603_ron_artest_Getty_EX
The two $9,000 tickets were given away this morning in a contest on Power 106 radio in L.A. -- but the winners had no idea that Ron paid for them out of his own pocket.

We called Ron to find out why he shelled out for the seats and he told us, "Most of my fans can't afford the ticket prices to come to any of the games, let alone the Finals.  I wanted to treat a fan to something they would normally never have access to, so they could feel like one of the stars for the night."

Ron added, "I feel like just a regular person at the end of the day, and I wanted to be able to share my first Finals experience with one of my regular fans."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Luluie

That was really nice. GO LAKERS!!!

playmore

I HATE THE LAKERS!!!!! but that was very cool of Ron

tmznut

Very classy!

Would love to see a ticket six-pack next: If the Lakers kick in, and the NBA kick in too, they could make heckuvalotta friends - two for the radio fans, two for the vets, two just for kids...

djdeej94

Classy. Very classy. Every sports player of every league should take notice!

Sal

I really hated it when Artest left the Rockets for the Lakers. I was a huge fan of his in Houston. Now I am happy he is with a team that will earn him the rings he deserves.

fried poop

Gee, He is a nice guy when he's not beating the crap out of the fans. And 9000 for b-ball tix?? gimme a break thats more than superbowl.

belle

Even though I am from Boston and a die hard Celtics fan...its wasy to see this was a classy, nice guy thing to do....your rock Ron!!

Kate

That's really nice to hear. I hope the fans who won tickets really appreciate the experience.

Kim

I hate basketball, but if this guy was trying to make people like him, he did a da mn good job. I think he just became my favorite basketball player (didn't take much)

PAHairston

Hello All. $9000 per ticket to see a freaking game? No wonder our economy is going down the drain. Where the freak are our priorities? I'm just saying. "An end will come to the system of things."

hunter leslie

ron, if only i lived in cali instead of florida i love the lakers!!!!!!!!!!!!

kls

that's wasupp!

lgwelsh1

That's pretty cool.

Dave

Coroner, wtf are you talking about? The Pacers were successful while Ron was there, up until the brawl, those weren't the rough years. The Pacers had to dump him because of the bad PR, and they've sucked since, and it sounds like you bailed on the Pacers cuz they aren't winning anymore. Why don't you get out of Indiana instead? Anyway, to the original point, I can't stand Ron Ron because of what he did to my team, but it's nice to see him do nice things like this because I think deep down he might be a good guy.

Davinci

Good for him. It's about time he gets noticed for his good deeds instead of all the negative press.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments