Shannon Price: I Was Gary's Common-Law Wife

6/10/2010 7:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gary Coleman's ex-wife, Shannon Price, just filed legal docs claiming she wants to be appointed special administrator of Gary's estate ... on grounds she was Gary's common-law wife -- and she's submitted a handwritten document purportedly from Gary making her the sole beneficiary.

Shannon Price

Shannon has submitted a copy of what she claims is a handwritten addendum written by Gary Coleman in 2007, which says Shannon is the "sole heir of any and all monies, properties, bank accounts, earnings, model trains, vehicles, cars, toys, games, electronics, homes, other inheritances if any, all things physical and/or intellectual."

And this is interesting ...in the handwritten document, it says, "This I have done because of my personal selfishness and weakness and I Love her with all my heart."

The handwritten addendum modifies a will written in 2006, which states, "I revoke all previous wills.  I specifically disinherit my biological parents and siblings."  But here's the catch.  The 2006 will was never signed by Gary.

In the docs, Shannon says the most pressing matter right now is the "disposition of the body."

Shannon's lawyer claims in the docs, "Shannon and the decedent continued to have a romantic relationship and engage in romantic and sexual relations."

As for why Price claims she was Gary's common-law wife, her lawyer says they had joint bank accounts, incurred debt jointly, filed joint tax returns, celebrated holidays and other important days together and "they fought on occasion."

We checked and Utah is one of the few states that does recognize common-law marriage -- however, the law requires that the couple "request to have a common-law marriage recognized" during the relationship or within one year after the end of the relationship.

Shanon's lawyer also filed a letter from a pension department which says she is listed as the "primary beneficiary to receive the benefit."

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

Hope Wilkinson

IF Gary really wamnted her to have "everything" - wouldn't he have made provisions for her - either through a will - LEGALLY - or through his lawyer? In the TV interview he said all she cared about was the money! HE KNEW SHE WAS A GOLD DIGGER AND I CAN'T IMAGINE, WITHOUT THREATENING HIM, HE ALLOWED HER TO STAY AND LIVE WITH HIM. HE WOULD HAVE BEEN FAR BETTER OFF IN A NURSING HOME AND PROBABLY BE ALIVE TODAY.

AKA Justice

I am with you 100%....However, playing devil's advocate, he did do it a legal way (IF it's his handwriting)....Utah acknowledges handwritten wills--perfectly legal even without witnesses. I have to admit--she has a darn good argument. We (the public) could voice what he would have or could have done until we're blue in the face. But fact is----he (again, if it's HIS written will) wrote his wishes down....

I am taking this matter further than this site, as I refuse to just sit back and do nothing about this whole fiasco....Maybe I won't get very far with my actions, but at least I would know that something was done...

Hope Wilkinson

Hey -AKA Justice - I am with you 100% and let mne know if/how I can help!!

swaps

All these ugly rich guys glom on to someone out of their league - then the rich guy's relatives get mad because the woman wants a piece of the action. She earned it. Case closed.

If he was poor and nobody she nor any other woman would have paid much attention to him. Though I can tell a lot of women on this board are just made they did not get to him first or last.

swaps

If he was poor and nobody she nor any other woman would have paid much attention to him. Though I can tell a lot of women on this board are just mad they did not get to him first or last.

Beth

She was his common law wife, she deserve's to be in charge of his will ect period!!!!!!!

Spike

She actually got away with murder. What a great justice system.

mspaap

GARY COLEMAN HAD A RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST SHANNON PRICE THAT STATED SHE MOVED INTO HIS HOME WHILE HE WAS HOSPITALIZED AND SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED THE COURT ORDER HER TO MOVE OUT DUE TO HER STEALING AND FIGHTING...ETC SEE LINK

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12