« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Earplug Sales Explode at World Cup

6/15/2010 2:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Those damn vuvuzela horns aren't pissing everybody off in South Africa -- TMZ has learned earplug sales have gone through the roof since the World Cup began on Thursday.

0615_vuvuzela_earplugs_Getty_EX
TMZ spoke to two major earplug suppliers based in South Africa -- Ear Plugs Online and Sheppard Medical -- and each are boasting ENORMOUS increases in sales since last week.

A rep for EPO tells us their sales are up 121% -- selling more than 10,000 sets of plugs and counting.  Sheppard Medical tells us they've moved more than 400,000 sets since kickoff -- a 20% increase.

Both companies attribute the increase to those damn horns -- which people are constantly blaring both in stadiums and on the streets. Reps for both companies tell us neither would be surprised if they each sold over one million sets by the end of the World Cup.

0615_soccer_studs_300

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jane

I hope when it comes time for selecting a venue again they keep in mind the horn noise.

Londoner

@bob ur a disgrace as a football fan. football brings people of all colour and nations together which is why it is a fantastic sport. so mayb u should be locked up through the whole month instead. and for those who hate on football ie the "soccer" haters, grow up and stop being so ignorant and face the facts that a world does exist outside of america.

eff you idiots who didnt watch the draft and dont know the whole story

they need to provide goals at woprld cup boringg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

nathan

WHO CARES!

jenn

ow my ears :cries: kind of spoiling my world cup experience tobe honest. although the fact that ireland is not in the world cup and france are is another reason why my world cup experience is ruined

lul

"TMZ has learned?" From reading the number of articles in the news existing already? Way to break it, TMZ!

electriczipper

who can watch it anyways..your lucky if anyone even scores,,only soccer I can watch is our county soccer that has girls between the age of 15 and 18 then I can watch as those babes go running around,,,and also checking out the hot soccer moms,,none of that at the world socccer games boringgggggg...
south africa,,who cares....

me

Blow horns are disallowed during real "football" games in the US. It is a health hazard issue. Oh, and by the the way, ooga booga!

mike

Actually I love those horns. I am going to Africa and maybe purchase 100 or more. I will send one to you morons who have such a problem with them. It not your country so shut up about what those folks are doing. Get a life idiots.

Mike

Annoying is annoying, no matter if its part of your culture or not. We even see a picture of a black person here using tissue paper as an earplug to tone down this nonsense. FIFA's image is only taking a hit by this. They need to be banned... Bottom line.

lioness

Proudly South Africa

to all the hater you sit on your fat ass busy writing about the noise made by the vuvuzela well get over it cause it is not going anyway.YOU BETTER FELL IT CAUSE IT IS HERE.... vuvuzela is not only about soccer but part of our african culture aswell,most of you American were taken as slaves to America and all of the suddern you haters please go serve your master...

G

@ 10

I've acutally watched the majority of the games and am not from South Africa so those games don't particulary interest me but I did watch the one between them and Mexico. They actually don't bother me at all. That's why I called people whiners.

electriczipper

29. americans need to realize that football is bigger than any of the sports they follow. I don't understand why people are be obsessed with sissy sports like basketball. what is baseball and american football , who wacth such crab anyway? God bless america my foot!

Posted at 1:35 PM on Jun 15, 2010 by lioness
but in the states one basketball player is paid more than 10,000
aficans so whats more important,,and we apy in dollors not aligator skins or elephant tusks

dizzydiana

those horns are annoying they sound like a massive swarm of bees lol not.I have watched every match to date and now my ears dont seem to notice the noise that much. Come on ENGLAND...........Hope every country has a good tournament

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments