« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Earplug Sales Explode at World Cup

6/15/2010 2:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Those damn vuvuzela horns aren't pissing everybody off in South Africa -- TMZ has learned earplug sales have gone through the roof since the World Cup began on Thursday.

0615_vuvuzela_earplugs_Getty_EX
TMZ spoke to two major earplug suppliers based in South Africa -- Ear Plugs Online and Sheppard Medical -- and each are boasting ENORMOUS increases in sales since last week.

A rep for EPO tells us their sales are up 121% -- selling more than 10,000 sets of plugs and counting.  Sheppard Medical tells us they've moved more than 400,000 sets since kickoff -- a 20% increase.

Both companies attribute the increase to those damn horns -- which people are constantly blaring both in stadiums and on the streets. Reps for both companies tell us neither would be surprised if they each sold over one million sets by the end of the World Cup.

0615_soccer_studs_300

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

dizzydiana

@32
one basketball player is paid 10,00 what?, dollars, for what a day a month. a priemiership footballer UK gets more than £100,000 per week.........not all get that much....but some get more

eff you idiots who didnt watch the draft and dont know the whole story

why are people whiners? WE DONT LIKE IT. thats not whiniong thats making a statement its anooyig but hey soccer bores me anyhow so i could give a ****e

eff you idiots who didnt watch the draft and dont know the whole story

@ 22 baseball is fun. learn the game soccer i agree kick kick shoot dont score then end in a frickin tie

Barb

I think we can be sure where the next games WON"T be held. What a rude bunch of people. Because it is so annoying, they keep it up. Why not consider suing FIFA for all your money back including air fare?

Darlene

Wouldnt want to put up with that crap!!!!

john johnson

how bout sticking a vuvuzela in bob's ear.

CALIFORNIA

A BUNCH OF CRY BABIES.HELLO, THESE GAMES AREN'T PLAYED EVERY YEAR.IF IT'S TOO LOUD FOR YOU, STAY YOUR CRYING ASS HOME AND WATCH IT ON T.V. IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT DON'T WATCH IT, AND STOP YOUR CRYING .NEVER SEEN SO MANY "GROWN UPS" COMPLAINING ABOUT SOMETHING SO STUPID.WHO CARES PEOPLE.CHANGE THE FREAKIN CHANNEL ALREADY.

Winter

I agree with the "boobymanz", I'm black South African & I wouldn't find it all offensive it the vuvuzelas were banned, they make it a painstaking experience watching the matches, I can only imagine what they sound like at the stadium, imagine sitting next to some1 blowing that in ur ear...I think that they should be banned, it really has nothing to do with the culture, if they were playing drums I would understand, but the vuvuzelas were never in the African culture...its a new thing.

Winter

And plz stop playing the race card, get over it, I experienced apartheid first hand and I'm over it, how do u expect the world to change if u don't start changing it now...Ppl have the freedom of speech to express their opions without being called racists...those annoying horns have nothing to do with race, I've viewed all races blowing those things...please find a new card to play...

dipnchew

that's funny. people seem to think it's just an african thing. I've heard them at every game i've ever watched. all around the world they use them. There are a part of soccer

Patricia

I watch the games on " mute". Those horns are a pain in the -ss!
They should be BANNED!!!!!

whateverIsay

They started using those stupid things in Mexico.

whateverIsay

I can't wait till mid July.... My house will be quiet again.

WHY DON'T THEY BAN THOSE DAMN THINGS.

gigi

eh..they don't bother me.

T Rob

is it me or does the Lakers Shanon Brown and singer Chris Brown look alike?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments