Jackson Estate Ready to Pounce on Profiteer

6/22/2010 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katherine Jackson 86's Probate LawyersThe lawyer for the Michael Jackson estate thinks the businessman who partnered with Katherine Jackson is hurting Michael's children -- and is threatening legal action if the dude doesn't stop.

Howard Mann -- whose business ventures include online nude gambling -- got Katherine Jackson to agree to publish the book, "Never Can Say Goodbye," scheduled for release this week.

Mann also told TMZ he and Katherine will make record deals for 273 unreleased Michael Jackson songs -- part of an MJ treasure trove he acquired in a fire sale after Joe Jackson failed to pay a storage bill.

But estate lawyer Howard Weitzman is ticked, claiming Mann "may be using his relationship with Mrs. Jackson to infringe upon Michael Jackson's copyrights ... to the detriment of, among others, Michael's 3 kids."

Weitzman says Mann has no right "to exploit any estate assets" and he will take "whatever action is necessary to prevent him from unlawfully profiting."  TMZ translation -- the estate will sue his ass if Mann goes forward.

We're told Katherine Jackson is happy with the job the executors have done -- namely filling the coffers with hundreds of millions of dollars -- but sources say family members are in her ear, getting her to sign off on ventures that end up hurting the estate, MJ's kids, and Katherine herself.

Hunnybunny

Anyone Can See that She loves Prince ,Paris , And Blanket and would never hurt them

Em

Go get 'em, Howard Weitzman! This whole concept came right out of left field and seems to be sleazy, ill-planned and completely for money-grabbing purposes only. Howard Mann needs to be stopped; I can't believe this is of Katherine Jackson's doing. There's something slimy behind all this - Joe, is that you??!!

angles

NOW I HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO ALL THESE STORIES ABOUT MICHAEL DO I B ELIEVE NO AS FOR TRASHING SUITES WELL ALL PREFORMERS DO THAT TO AN EXTENT . NOTHING NEW BOY THEY REALY TRIED TO TRASH HIM ON TV. TAKE A STAR BUILD HIM UP AND WHEN HE GOT SO FAMOUS PICK HIM APART I DON'T LIKE WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT DR. MURRAY HE IS A GUILTY MAN VISITING MICHAEL'S GRAVE HE SHOULD BE STOPPED AT ONCE TRYING TO MAKE HIM LOOK GOOD NOT AT ALL . AS FOR MICHAEL GIVING HIM SAELF DRUGS THINK AGAIN HE LOVED HIS KIDS , I BELIEVE THIS WAS A HIT , WORTH MORE MONEY DEAD THAN ALIVE MICHAEL EVEN SAID THEY CONTROLED HIM AND THEY WOULD KILL HIM , SO MUCH FOR JUSTICE I AM WATCHING THIS CASE IF MURRAY GETS OFF NOT FAIR AT ALL I HEARD THE THREATS AND I DON'T DOUBT THAT SOMEONE WILL TRY ONE DAY WHAT A WAY TO LIVE YOUR LIFE PERSONNALY I THINK HE'S TWISTED AS FOR ALL THE KIDS HE HAS NOT A VERY RESPONSIBLE DAD OR MAN FOR THAT MATTER, I LOOK AT HIM AND I HE ISN'T RIGHT IN THE HEAD I THINK HE HAS TWO PERSONALITIES AND MAYBE IF HE TOOK THE STAND YOU WOULD SEE IT TOO. PEOPLE NOW A DAYS WILL DO ANYTHING FOR MONEY EVEN A SO CALLED DR. OF WITCH WAS SUPOSED TO BE HIS FRIEND MONEY THE ROOT OF ALL EVEIL WELL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND AND I THINK HIS DAYS ARE NUMBERED. I AM WATCHING TO SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT BECAUSE THE TRUTH ALWAYS COMES BACK TO REALITY THIS IS MY THOUGHTS .

angles

Cynthia J

Gawd, the never-ending money-grubbing behavior of the Jackson Family is so GHETTO and disturbing. What these people won't do to make an extra buck off of dead michael. They should all be ashamed of themselves. And that hideous ignorant Joe Jackson takes the cake. What trashy PIGS. How much money is enough for them?

Butterfly

LOVE AND MISS MJJ

Noel

To 60: As far as the book that Katherine has "published", she can use her personal photos of Michael in any way that she wants. She doesn't need the approval of the MJ estate executors for that. However, the executors are charged with overseeing the image and likness of Michael Jackson, any of his copyrighted logos and music, all marketing rights to same, and of course, his vast music holdings. As one poster has said, no one in his/her right mind should think they can publish any music alleged to be by Michael Jackson without prior agreement and/or involvement with the estate. Ain't going to happen without someone getting the crap sued out of them. If the estate is going after T-shirt vendors, what do you think they will do to those attempting to hawk "MJ music". This is one of those instances in which ownership (by having purchased the storage unit contents) does not grant anyone the authority to use all of the contents.

The same goes for the museum project going on in Gary, Indiana. While the group (aka Joe, et. al) can proceed with fundraising, etc., at some point in time, they will have to obtain permission from the estate for use of the logos and other intellectual property owned by the Michael Jackson estate. The executors must be as strict with the family ventures as with the general public or someone could later come and sue them for not having pursued obvious abuses and failing to protect the image and likeness of MJ.

Bottom line, Katherine is getting some bad advice from someone. Unfortuntely, Joe and the other siblings who chose not to become gainfully employed realize that the gravy train will stop once Katherine passes on so they must exploit/develop any/all opportunities now.

Mary

I do wish Katherine and kids well. They should be fine financially in the long run, with the money that will probably come in from all the MJ music already out there + some of the projects the estate has set up. Maybe in time all these other schemes will become less and less common - we can hope.

Tellit

Gimme a break!
She make look and talk all motherly and whispery....
This woman has always had $$ on the mind...
and ice water running through her veins.

Marty

Thanks Noel for answering my question. I understand about the music and why the estate executors would be all over it. I was thinking they were also unhappy about the book KJ put together as well. Thanks again.

nita

IT'S ALL FOR LOVE. l.o.v.e!

Tellit

Janet couldn't even raise her own daughter (thanks to Joe and Katherine)...Rebbie did.
The children need to go their parents....
Artie Klein, Deb Rowe, Mark Lester.
Unfortunately Blankets father killed himself over this mess awhile back...and his mother is unknown.
IMO, Grace R. (but the Jackson turned MJ3 against even her now) and the MJFT should finish raising MJ3...away from the Jackson circus...just as Michael Jackson did.

Tellit

Michael Jackson biggest financial woes were brought about by his own exorbitant spending habits and his refusal to keep little boys out of his bedroom.
The next biggest financial woes were his financially dependent parents and his two worthless brothers Jermaine and Randy, their wife Alexjandro and their children.

JLS

Posters 5 + 6:

Buy a clue and stop the hysterical nonsense. Katherine is doing a great job with the children. She is who got them through the last year altogether. Past that, she is being unduly influenced by predatory business people who wish to use MJ's likeness and music for profit. Katherine needs to rely and trust Adam Streisand, her lawyer, as well as the lawyers working on the estate for advice PRIOR to making any more moves.

Pie

The estate is set up to allow MJ's kids, charities and Katherine earn the profits of any deals made. It seems that’s what Michael wanted and from everything we know of him….seems about right. These are the only parties who should profit from Michael just as he apparently wanted. I understand KJ is a kind and loving mother who wants the best for all her children but trying to earn money off Michael's memory and body of work outside of the estate clearly has the sole purpose of earning money for the benefit of others (most likely Joe and other family members). It's heartbreaking. I know the Jacksons believe the will might be fraudulent but really, what exactly about the will do they think is negative? MJ's children, his beloved mother during her lifetime and Charity are the main profiteers.... I'm thinking that's what a noble man like Michael would have wanted, yes? Now who the executors are and the apparent absolute power bequeathed them may be questionable as is the fact that the deals cut so far allow for Sony to profit greatly (not sure MJ would have wanted that). But in all honesty, the state of his financial affairs at the time of his death placed the estate at risk of losing everything and leaving little to nothing for his children and gave Sony a stronghold to literally render it bankrupt. The estate executors might simply have not had a lot of choices and were obligated to make some deals they may have otherwise foregone if the estate were in a stronger financial state. All in all, I believe the children will benefit in the way MJ wanted them to. I feel for the rest of the Jacksons but they are all grown, able bodied individuals that need to earn livings for themselves and let Michael's children inherit what is rightfully theirs. Katherine needs to protect the children’s interest and practice some tough love with the rest of her family. Love her, she is wonderful and her actions are not malicious or deceitful. She has the unfortunate roll of having to be responsible for grown son’s financial livelihood. They should be ashamed of themselves. So, so sad.
God Bless you Ms Katherine, Prince, Paris, sweet little Blanket and all of the Jackson family. RIP Sweet Michael