« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Team USA -- Please Hold for Obama

6/24/2010 9:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

As if they weren't fired up enough -- Team USA just got a phone call from President Barack Obama congratulating them on kicking ass in the World Cup.

0624_usa_soccer_BN

TMZ just obtained this pic of the entire soccer squad gathering by a speakerphone tonight at the team hotel in South Africa -- where we're told Obama informed them, "that while he was meeting with General Petraeus in the Oval Office, he could hear the rest of the West Wing erupt when Landon Donovan scored the game-winner."

Obama also asked about Tim Howard's ribs and Clint Dempsey's lip.

We're told the team was super stoked about the phone call and can't wait to kick some more ass when they play Ghana on Saturday.
0624_soccer_launch
USA! USA! USA!

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

bring back recent posts

Oh Fred chill, they have television on many stations all over the place..let them celebrate SOMETHING!

bring back recent posts

When is Air Force 1 leavin for Toronto anyways, anyone know?

Darryl

Sonya

neither one of us mentioned the President (who didn't actually watch the game) we were talking about the White House Staff. Most people don't get paid to watch TV. If they want to see the game they can record it like the rest of us.

Mikey

FAO Adrian (No 3)

You should have your eyes tested (either that or you're English in which case BRAVO for second place. Football's power nation my arse!)

Algeria were, if anything, a minor threat at best in the first half and the USA in the second half had them with their backs to the wall for the last 30 mins.

As a non- American living in Los Angeles, I was loving it and I'll love it even more when they pump out Ghana to go even further and prove the doubters wrong. All I'll need then is Germany to show England for what they really are, an average team full of over paid prima donnas supported by a nation of arrogant morons and send them home (to think again ;-) )

So....

I'll have my Star Spangled Banner wrapped round me, my USA top on and for as long as they are in the World Cup I will be 100% American.

USA USA USA!

Yono

It's funny how you right wing freaks scream about respecting the president even when you don't agree with him when it is a Republican, but you hypocrites don't do the same when it is a democrat. How un-American. How pathetic. How typical of right wing asses.

Sonja

Actually Darryl you both mention him. .. being part of 'the government' who has nothing better to do than call directly means President Obama, and Adrian specifically has issues that President Obama called even though he didn't watch. So what is it, shame on him or anyone else for watching or 'you don't get to congratulate them if you didn't watch' ??? Make up your mind, you're both just bitching about nothing at all ... gasp he congratulated our team, whether he watched the game or not (which you seem to think you has no business doing anyway) big freakin' deal? I hear he takes a leak and eats now and then too.. what nerve!

$$

A call from Obama would NOT fire me up....

Sonja

Amen Yono, Bush can lie, start wars, declare one of them 'won' and then go on vacation while New Orleans drowns but God forbid President Obama not tip a ice cream store clerk, get a dog for his kids or take a few minutes to make a phone call. If you have issues with a policy fine but this sort of thing?? ... I'm beginning to think 'Right' means insane.

Artist

@Adrian
What game were you watching. That's a joke!! USA should have won by 6+ goals. Go back to Algeria loser!!!

SR

Um actually, Hannah, the U.S. had a goal disallowed against Slovenia that was good. Score should have been 3-2 U.S. Then they had another legal goal disallowed against Algeria and yet they STILL came out on top. Go USA!! = )

Darryl

Sonya, thanks for putting all those words in my mouth!b I stand by what I said and only what I said, no embellishments from you!!!

Truth

OH PULEEEZ, ONE GAME DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING. THEY AINT GONNA ADVANCE ANY FURTHER. THAT'S REALITY. NEXT.

jim

All together now -- "Jinx"!

Rob

Everyone Osama Bin Bama pulls for loses. He just gave Ghana the victory.

Time

WTG Team USA!!! Nice of the Pres to call them too :)

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments