Cop Mistook Lindsay's Cocaine for Breath Mint

6/30/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Now we know why Lindsay Lohan's 2007 DUI case may have plea bargained so quickly -- the cop who took custody of the cocaine mistook it for a breath mint and threw it in the trash.

0630_lilo_clinique_card

Pretty incredible, but according to the Santa Monica Police report -- obtained by TMZ -- the officer "discovered a folded Clinique sun care card with an unknown substance caked on to the surface of the card in Lohan's right rear pocket."

The report goes on:  "Some of the white substance fell to the floor.  I used my foot to see what had fell but thought nothing of it.  I did not recognize the substance attached to the card and initially thought the substance was a wet crushed breath mint."

And now it gets good:  "I put the card into the jail trash can next to the booking windows.  I was looking at the floor and began to recognize the substance as resembling powder cocaine.   I then recovered the card from the trash."

The cop says the coke was in the trash for about 2 minutes.  He put the card in an evidence envelope, then scooped up the coke that had fallen to the floor and placed it in a separate evidence envelope.

In short -- EVIDENCE CONTAMINATION!!!

Lindsay ended up with a sweet deal and spent 84 minutes in jail ... for a drunken, cocaine-fueled chase on Pacific Coast Highway.  Nice deal if you can get it.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

LLM

Wait, is that an actual photo or one that was doctored? The officer thought it was a crushed breath mint? Get outta here. LOL She sure is one lucky chick.

Carl

Now I know why the criminals on COPS use such lame excuses when caught. They are hoping to get a moron cop like that guy!

Just Sayin

Reason #9392312903 I HATE COPS

mr attitude

Nice going Barney Fife!

durrr...

well it would have been even funnier if he had had one... 'cheers mate!!'

Trish

You go Lindsay. You work that system. Go Lindsay, go, go, go...

Todd

@4. Reason #9392312903 I HATE COPS
------------------------------------

You can hate cops all you want but when you get stabbed/robbed, who you gonna call?

annie

The LAPD is notorious for being incompetent. They helped OJ go free from a double homicide because of their ineptitude; and now they make it possible for a coked out party girl to endanger everyone on the same road as her that night and not pay the consequences. So glad I live on the other side of the country!!!

Nicole

That is so hilarious
Lindsay is so creative using a Clinique Sun Card which is totally random actually helped her by catching the cop off guard.

really?

TMZ you are disappointing tonight... at least you could have shown a photo of Conrad Murray and the stripper... making people wait two hours for this and that Twitpic. No one is going to take you seriously now.

WD41

WTF?

emerald

ROFLOL!! Absolutely priceless, lol!!

Just Sayin

______________________

I will be calling the ambulance!

LLM

I see now that it says it's a "TMZ COMPOSITE". Thought it was real for a sec.

Good riddance!

It certainly won't be the last time this family of idiots is involved in something illegal, so it's only a matter of time!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments