Cop Mistook Lindsay's Cocaine for Breath Mint

6/30/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Now we know why Lindsay Lohan's 2007 DUI case may have plea bargained so quickly -- the cop who took custody of the cocaine mistook it for a breath mint and threw it in the trash.

0630_lilo_clinique_card

Pretty incredible, but according to the Santa Monica Police report -- obtained by TMZ -- the officer "discovered a folded Clinique sun care card with an unknown substance caked on to the surface of the card in Lohan's right rear pocket."

The report goes on:  "Some of the white substance fell to the floor.  I used my foot to see what had fell but thought nothing of it.  I did not recognize the substance attached to the card and initially thought the substance was a wet crushed breath mint."

And now it gets good:  "I put the card into the jail trash can next to the booking windows.  I was looking at the floor and began to recognize the substance as resembling powder cocaine.   I then recovered the card from the trash."

The cop says the coke was in the trash for about 2 minutes.  He put the card in an evidence envelope, then scooped up the coke that had fallen to the floor and placed it in a separate evidence envelope.

In short -- EVIDENCE CONTAMINATION!!!

Lindsay ended up with a sweet deal and spent 84 minutes in jail ... for a drunken, cocaine-fueled chase on Pacific Coast Highway.  Nice deal if you can get it.

please

Why were they throwing a card or anything of hers away?

Ken

this is getting worse and worse for your average joe having to watch the rich and famous(for all the wrong reasons) making the system their bitch. I hate to say this but "damn Lindsay, you're my hero now, u go girl"

cynical me

I respect real cops Todd, I don't respect cops who cant tell the difference between a breath mint and cocaine.
Lindsey got a slap on the hand yet again, just like with her alcohol classes. She hasn't gone continuously like she was supposed to but its ok because she's 'made them up.' Her mother is in denial, her father is a whack job who wants publicity and her sister will be heading down the same path soon.

Caring Kate

Thank God for TMZ, or the Lohan family would be broke. I suppose there is some sort of long-standing friendship at TMZ. Lucky for the Lohans.

Gossip

Good karma

susan

LOL! The thing is TMZ, despite the cops bungling, Lindsay pled guilty to the 2 charges of possessing illegal substances so the girl got away with NOTHING! She was honest enough to admit it.

electriczipper

cops make mistakes just like anyone else....

Kelly

I just wish she was holding a CARVEL BLACK ICE CREAM CARD instead!! HA!!

Kelly

Now that would bericeless!! I bet Dina had it... : )

Kelly

priceless

oops!

Jesse James Hater

F...ing cops.
I am sure the cop was paid well for his "little mistake"
They are all on the take.

mousetrap

No they didn't. They gave her a break. Cops don't let things fly out of your pocket or mistake cocaine for breath mints. Especially in Los Angeles. They are very well versed in identifying drugs. She should have taken the hint right then and there and counted her lucky stars and promptly cleaned up her act or at the absolute least keep everything at home and fly way under the radar.

Me

Corruption sucks...Point and case, pure and simple.
I wish our lives could be so easy. But it appears that we are nothing more than peasants, when compared to the likes of Lyndsay.

Kelly

Or Asian?? or Hispanic?? or Gay?? Geez!!!

Kelly

Do u think Rodman didn't get cut some slack at times?? ...Well, all those times...