Cop Mistook Lindsay's Cocaine for Breath Mint

6/30/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Now we know why Lindsay Lohan's 2007 DUI case may have plea bargained so quickly -- the cop who took custody of the cocaine mistook it for a breath mint and threw it in the trash.

0630_lilo_clinique_card

Pretty incredible, but according to the Santa Monica Police report -- obtained by TMZ -- the officer "discovered a folded Clinique sun care card with an unknown substance caked on to the surface of the card in Lohan's right rear pocket."

The report goes on:  "Some of the white substance fell to the floor.  I used my foot to see what had fell but thought nothing of it.  I did not recognize the substance attached to the card and initially thought the substance was a wet crushed breath mint."

And now it gets good:  "I put the card into the jail trash can next to the booking windows.  I was looking at the floor and began to recognize the substance as resembling powder cocaine.   I then recovered the card from the trash."

The cop says the coke was in the trash for about 2 minutes.  He put the card in an evidence envelope, then scooped up the coke that had fallen to the floor and placed it in a separate evidence envelope.

In short -- EVIDENCE CONTAMINATION!!!

Lindsay ended up with a sweet deal and spent 84 minutes in jail ... for a drunken, cocaine-fueled chase on Pacific Coast Highway.  Nice deal if you can get it.

Todd

I respect real cops Todd, I don't respect cops who cant tell the difference between a breath mint and cocaine.
------------------------------------------------

Haha, Don't blame you. That cop was a bonehead.

Get back to work!

I'm pretty sure this cop works in my town. Ooops, gotta go, Aunt Bea is calling me for supper.

smartypants1

So LAPD. They are a bunch of corrupt idiots! they probably snorted some too. I won't put it past them.
As if they looked into Lindsay's eyes & couldn't tell by looking at her pupils that she was jacked up. That's 1 of the first things they are suppose to do. It's LAPD 101.

I have to give this one to Lindsay. She gets a big A for creativity.

smartypants1

You can hate cops all you want but when you get stabbed/robbed, who you gonna call?

______________________

I will be calling the ambulance!

Posted at 7:16 PM on Jun 29, 2010 by Just Sayin

______________________

I couldn't agree more JUST SAYIN.
I will be calling an ambulance too.

#TeamLindsay

"TMZ Commenters Mistake Santa Monica PD for LAPD, Prove Their Stupidity for All to See"

There i fixed that title for you TMZ...

pammie8

Some one got their **** sucked and "droped" the evidence! Thats what really happened!

#TeamLindsay

"Pretty incredible, but according to the Santa Monica Police report -- obtained by TMZ"

LOL, so what part of that sentence don't you F'tards understand? Oh wait, that's right! You F'tards don't read TMZ you just look at the pictures and spew hateful comments! *rolls eyes*

KAM

Some cops need to be retrained over again...especially dealing w/ whacked out actors/actresses

chardonnay

Damn I hope next next time I go to the clinique counter for my free gift I get some cocaine with that.

Um, wow...

WTF?! There's NO WAY this cop thought it was a wet breath mint!!! Even if he was a rookie, he would know that they should test ANYTHING suspicious, especially if brought into booking!!! What a moron!!! I hope he was either suspended, or fired... That's insane!! I bet he did it b/c she's a "celebrity"... Disgusting!!

kc

Say what you want about LiLo and her screwy lifestyle .. But, As far as this 'coke' screw-up -- I for 1 am glad to see that there is actually 1 Semi-Honest Cop out there -that at least Admitted what he /she did -rather than the Cover it up and Full speed ahead in screwing people over

Peter

Of course one could only imagine Lilo sitting there her eyes dilating in overdrive, suggestively sucking on one of her breath mints exclaiming that it was the ‘breath mint’ that made her lose her nerve. She had after all had asked for spearmint but all the lowly store clerk dealer could come up with was the white crystal kind. A silly oversight of the clerk dealer

RabbleRouser

I bet her dumb ass mother is happy over this until she finds her meal ticket dead in a puddle of her own vomit...and her douche bag dad is already probably trying to sell the movie rights to this.

RickJames

Cocaine's a helluva drug!

Pound Sand

Yeah there is WAY more to this story than we are being told. Wonder how much $ or soemthing else the cop took?