Melissa Etheridge

Files to End Relationship

7/3/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned ... Melissa Etheridge has just filed legal documents with the court to formally end her relationship with Tammy Lynn Michaels.

0704-etheridge-launch-ex
Etheridge filed a document called a Petition for Dissolution of Domestic Partnership in L.A. County Superior Court.

Etheridge and Michaels were registered as domestic partners in California. They had a commitment ceremony back in 2003.  There were reports they tried to legally marry in 2008 -- during the time when same-sex marriages were permitted in CA --  but they missed the window.

In the docs, Etheridge cites "irreconcilable differences."

Etheridge is asking for joint custody of the couple's two children.  Their twins were born in 2006, after Tammy was artificially inseminated by an anonymous donor.

Etheridge's lawyer, Judy Bogen, is also asking the judge to reject any possible bid by Tammy to get financial support.

There are reports the couple split back in April.

Bu

If the Mother of your children is not taken care of your children suffer!

michaela

I suspect that Tammy took care of the children full-time, while Melissa toured and earned a paycheck. Why should Melissa get out of paying support to Tammy? That would be quite a step back for gay marriage, if she now claims that they weren't really married and subsequently she doesn't owe anything, when all this time they claimed to have been married.

Jeep Fu

I wonder how much these two campaigned for homosexual marriage?
I wonder how much these two donated for homosexual marriage?
What's the point of getting married if you're just going to divorce?
Sounds to me like these two don't really care about the gift (homosexual marriage) that they've been given, if they so carelessly throw it away that is.

TheLeatherArtist

Wow Melissa I am so disappointed in you having been a fan since your very first album. Tammy stood by you and was absolutely wonderful during your cancer. She even bought you flowers stating "In sickness and in health." She is a beautiful girl and treated you well and deserves better from you. I saw the Oprah Interview and it was obvious the whole "grew apart crap" was you were banging chicks on the road and having affairs while she was home raising your babies. She not only deserves, but is entitled to financial support. Be fair. She was their for you after your break up with Julie and has been there through your illness while putting her own career on hold. Do the right thing here. If not a whole lot of fans are going to lose major respect for you. Me for sure...

Carolyn

It annoys me that Melissa Etheridge is asking for joint custody, but not wanting to pay any support. She shouldn't talk about wanting to get married and have equal rights for homosexuals if she doesn't want to pony up the money that a man would have to pay if they were a traditional couple and this was a traditional divorce.

george clooney

Oh my, where are all the homosexuals now? Normally, they are spouting off all over the internet. Guess the egg on their face is getting harder to peel huh? Lets see, I recall hearing testimony that GAYS, BUTCHES, whatever you wish to call them...can provide a sound, safe and better environment for children. I also heard (Rosie the Mouth...who also was dumped) that the homosexual community is COMMITTED, unlike the straights...uh huh, so I see. Pathetic...now we have a couple of children here who want to know where there daddy is and what will they be told? "Your daddy...well, she dumped me for another woman?" No....try this one....life really sucks huh? I am so tired of all the lisps, crooked fingers, Chaz Bono types...GOD is now punishing this generation and in particular; you Hollywood types are going down.

Beth

I don't believe in "GAY" marriage, period. I am not going to try and explain why I feel the way I feel either. Yes, I probably am to some people a homophobic (I guess that is the right word) but if that is the case, well so be it. I am sure I am not alone. Now, please slam me if you choose.

PS- where in the world did the word "gay" come from to describe this oddity?

Carl

Funny, the anti-gay people commenting here are using one of the stupidest arguments I've heard yet. Ugly breakups, custody fights, one side not wanting to give the other support? That's what goes on in heterosexual divorces! Either ban all marriage or let everyone get married. Gays are just as prone to making good and bad decisions as heterosexuals.

jill

Wow, normally i just would not comment. But, being a former fan.
Just Wow.

stan

Sorry MeLissa you should have nto pay spousal support. She gave up her acting career for you. She took care of you when you had cancer. Don't throw her under the bus. But knowing you you most likely bge the bus driver.

Artist

She should get $100 Million

Dawn

Wow, Melissa Etheridge is such a bitch. She wants joint custody of the kids. Tammy Lynn who had a great career going as an actress basically puts her career on hold to be a stay at home mom and support Melissa's career but she doesn't want to pay any support to the woman who carried two kids for her and helped raise them and she is the main money maker? Hope Tammy Lynn takes her to the cleaners.

REALUSION

gross and grosser.

lovethefog

For a Hollywood marriage,7 years together is like forever. I bet it won't be long before Melissa is with a younger woman.

ITUS

WHY DO GAYS WANT TO MARRY? SO THEY CAN BE LIKE STRAIGHT PEOPLE AND GET DIVORCED. I THOUGHT GAYS WERE BETTER THEN THAT. lol