Melissa Etheridge

Files to End Relationship

7/3/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned ... Melissa Etheridge has just filed legal documents with the court to formally end her relationship with Tammy Lynn Michaels.

0704-etheridge-launch-ex
Etheridge filed a document called a Petition for Dissolution of Domestic Partnership in L.A. County Superior Court.

Etheridge and Michaels were registered as domestic partners in California. They had a commitment ceremony back in 2003.  There were reports they tried to legally marry in 2008 -- during the time when same-sex marriages were permitted in CA --  but they missed the window.

In the docs, Etheridge cites "irreconcilable differences."

Etheridge is asking for joint custody of the couple's two children.  Their twins were born in 2006, after Tammy was artificially inseminated by an anonymous donor.

Etheridge's lawyer, Judy Bogen, is also asking the judge to reject any possible bid by Tammy to get financial support.

There are reports the couple split back in April.

floyd

SA, UR back!!! I thought you were done here. Welcome back, my friend.

Sociopaths are Sad

The Watcher: At least you can watch b/c you can't bother to read and understand what I wrote and/or spell very well. But to address your points:
We live in a free country :) As such, we all have "free licence" to "dump (our) partners unceremoniously". Sometimes, if two people are married, there is a ceremony to the dumping - it is called divorce.
Also, falling out of love with someone does not make him/her an S.O.B. It just makes him/her human.
And finally, I understand that you believe that great looking people who are warm, intelligent and articulate deserve to be loved forever and ever but, sadly, life doesn't work that way Dorothy. We're not in Kansas anymore. ((((((sniffle))))))

And um, it's S.A.S, m'kay?

The Watcher

You give free license for people to indulge themselves. If it destroys a family, however many times (because let's face it, you might fall out of love/interest SEVERAL times over) it's okay because that's real life. There is no responsibility here whatsoever. Got it. Thanks for the lesson in reality. Nobody is getting the sniffles here except the self indulgent spoiled piece of dung heaps you defend. Melissa, is that really you on the board? I thought something smelled really bad.

SA

Floyd....Had a minute before while I waited for my video to upload. Page was still open like it is now and I really didn't want to be rude by not responding to you if you were indeed talking to me. But now I am taking my leave of this page as I know how ugly these types of...shall I put it nicely and say "discussions" can get. Everyone's a critic with someone else's life until the cameras are turned on them. C'est la vie. People will never change.

a lesbian

WOW... it is amazing how un-educated some people are... it is not only gay couples that split but ALL kinds of couples... including many many heterosexual people! Life is not fair... it is sad that so many judge and make horrible comments as the one's posted on this blog...
Hopefully, for the kids sake, Melissa & Tammy can come to quiet and loving agreements. Including working together to raise the kids the best they can under the cir***stances..
To all the haters.. we are all human .. not perfect just human

Sociopaths are Sad

The Watcher: Yes, I suppose Tammy would like it if her wife stayed with her out of "duty" and "responsibility". I'm sure seeing the look of non-love and pity and, eventualy, resentment in Melissa's eyes would swell Tammy's heart with unbounded love and joy.

Being in a marriage where one partner has emotionally checked out is worse than being divorced. Worse for everyone involved, including the children. (Here I'm repeating myself for you Watcher b/c you are slow on the uptake.)

For example, if you pretend your partner is someone else during lovemaking, chances are...you are not in love. If you can't wait to go on the road so you can have sex with other people...it's a safe bet you are not in love with your partner. You get what I'm saying?

And to demonize a person just b/c they are not in love with their partner anymore is ludicrous. Love is not a choice. O/w, there would be no gay people in the world. B/c, frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would choose to be part of a group of people who are and have been opressed by society for so long. People love who they love and they don't love who they don't love and that's just the way it is Virginia.

And BTW, no Virginia, there is no Santa Calus either (in case you were wonding about that too).

The Watcher

To quote S.A.S.: "And as for being married to someone who falls out of love "SEVERAL times over" (would that be several times a day or several times a week or several times a month?) sounds EXHAUSTING, IMMATURE, and RIDICULOUS. I have never had that happen to me. I know how I feel about the person and I KNOW if I am in love with the person or not. You just know." You contradict yourself. If it is okay to walk out once, so as not to have to give the "pity" look, you might have to walk out a few times. Or, is it that you can only indulge yourself once and if you fall out of love, which is, of course, reality, THEN you have to stay? I'm through here. You have spewed enough of your angry filth all over me. You win. M'kay?

Sociopaths are Sad

The Watcher: Your missive makes no sense whatsoever. I am honestly unable to decipher your illogical prose. Is English your first language? SMH.

floyd

To the hurtful Melissa Etheridge supporters: Your aggressive attacks have not changed my mind.... I still do not like how Melissa dealt with this divorce. Although I respect your opinions, I do not share your opinion.

Cathazat

Melissa is very full of herself. I don't think she can really commit to another person and everything must be done in the media (eg. the kids' fathers: wouldn't you want to keep that private and among the family?). She strikes me as a bit of a narcissist in the male sense of the word. Isn't this her third openly lesbian relationship with children or just second? Either way, what is sad about these very public lesbian marriages that break up publicly: they are not doing any services to the PR and gay marriage advocacy. Yes, I realize there is a huge hetero divorce rate but openly gay and loud about it lesbians such as Melissa Etheridge and Rosie O'Donnell are spearheading a movement and should realize what a relationship entails before derailing it. It doesn't help those gay couples and parents who have been committed partners for years. So in other words, if you are gay in Hollywood, just keep quiet unless you plan to actually stay together in a committed relationship.

jw

used to be a fan...but not only has the quality of the music gone down.....but now you're a douchebag too. Support your damn kids....that means giving support to the one that carried them and took care of them.

denise

#112 SA
I don't feel I have to do any research to figure out that Melissa needs to pay support for having "a long term relationship" with her partner that she got tired of and walked out on. She needs to figure out she's a failure at marriage and parenthood. Tammy took care of her in her cancer stage and now the B-otch Melissa thinks she doesn't owe her a thing. KARMA will bite her in the ash soon. Or are you waiting to be next????

smartguy

Does this split up mean the anomyous donor can possibly get custody of HIS children.

Callie66

I have been a MLE fan since her first album. I have tickets for a summer concert. Had I known then what I do now, I would have not bought the tickets.
Melissa she took care of your family, you owe her some support.

Kelly

Yeah, Melissa has lost me as a fan. I am disgusted by her actions. Tammy's blog says she has had to borrow money to buy their kids food....shameful! Disgusting! Typical! I have been a fan since her second album in the late 80's and been to 4 concerts but no more....ever!