Vanessa Carlton's Bite Case -- Pit Bull Gets Off

7/8/2010 8:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A pit bull accused of viciously attacking singer Vanessa Carlton has just escaped a death sentence -- after the dog owner proved Carlton's bite wound didn't match up with a mold of the dog's teeth.

0708_vanessa_carlton_dog_BN

The exonerated puppy is Bella -- who was just 9 months old when she was accused of biting the hell out of Vanessa -- who was jogging in Pennsylvania on May 2.

But in a trial that was like an episode of "CSI" -- Bella's owner argued that there's no way the doggy would have carried out the attack ... and then brought in several forensic experts -- including specialists in dog behavior and canine dentistry -- to back her story.

Ultimately, the experts paid off -- and the judge ruled that Bella could move back in with her owner ... instead of being put down.

Carlton -- who attended the six hour trial in person -- had no comment after the case.

Debbie

I was also there for the case. Formal training means nothing to me regarding qualifications of the dog handler, actual experience with dogs of which she has over 25 yrs is enough of a qualification to satisfy that she knows what she is talking about. The 2nd bite that you speak about was and is different from the Vanessa's bite. Most who have raised a puppy are sure to have at one time or another received a NIP that can puncture and at times cause bruising. Puppies tend to do things as this. The reputation of the vet that testified is exceptional. A dog can play and nip, it happens often. Just watch when 2 dogs play, they use their mouth. Vanessa's testimony to me was a joke. When asked the name of the dog She put a look on her face like she was not sure and said, I think its Bella.......are you kidding me. When a dog has an electric collar on is is quite visable, yet she saw none.My son was bit as a child in similar cir***stances. Puncture and bruising. Lets say this was Bella, which I still doubt why is it that these two families could not have sat down and discussed this. i called my neighbor, found out if the dog had shots, she made sure it never happened again. The dog was young and saw my son walking down the dirt road ran to my son, my son ran and he nipped his leg. I did not demand the dog be put down. Vanessa's relationship with Peta also come to mind as their stance is that Pit Bull's should be wiped out, I find that interesting. I feel the judge was fair , I did not believe Vanessa at all. The warden seemed confused, the young man that was bit was clearly nervous about testifying. This should have never come to this. Whatever happened to two families sitting down and trying to solve a problem. As a taxpayer I am outraged that my tax dollars were used. This handler is not afraid to label a dog dangerous and have the dog euthanized if need be so this is not a case of lets save the dog regardless.

electriczipper

Jog with a gun. I guarantee you no dog will bite you then. You will just be hassled by the police.

Posted at 10:16 AM on Jul 8, 2010 by Superman

great answer and its also keeps away freaks,crackheads and thieves and weirdos

electriczipper

growing up our begal bit ever kid on the block and it was no big deal,,,nobody ever sued us,,it was kind of a passage of childhood to be bitten by our dog.

von

Court Observer you're an idiot and missing the whole point. Even though this dog is a pit bull and are known for their powerful jaws, I highly doubt a 9 month old pit bull could've bitten her hard enough that it required anything more than a band aid. I understand that the if this dog is continuously biting people that the courts order the owner to put up a fence but to seriously take this to court to have the dog possibly put down is uncalled for. Why punish the puppy? Is this woman seriously that cold hearted?

oc

am I the only one who thinks this was a publicity stunt?

Beth

Did the dog bite her face? Ding Dang what happened to her face. BTW Dawn - if you have a face like Vanessa's then it's ok for the dog to bite you too.

Julie

What a bi*ch...and I am refering to Vanessa! She is a stupid, washed up has been! I hope she feels like an idiot!

Doesnotcompute

How does Vanessa make this mistake? There's got to be more to this story than what we are getting. As an owner of a Pit Bull mix, though, I gotta tell you that if I had a dollar for every time someone demonized my dog (who is, in fact, the world's friendliest dog), I would be a rich person. The negative -- and often unfounded -- publicity about pit bulls makes me crazy. Let's talk about how often Chows, or Dalmations, or Chihuahas or any other dog bites people? Pit bulls aren't angels, but they are not demons, either. They are dogs, like any other type of dog.

Hate Vanessa Carlton.

Beth

Samantha - I'm guessing you look like Vanessa and a pit bull bit you. Sucks to be you.

Beth

Samantha - you must look like Vanessa. That sucks. Hope the pit bull fins you too.

Finnlady

Dogs are predators. They should NOT be expected to behave or think like humans beings. Not at all.. It's incredible that a dog is blamed to be "crazy", if it chases something that is moving and bites that. Or bites, because the dog protects its pack. It's a normal reaction for predators. Dog owners should take responsibility and try to understand the way how dogs are thinking and why they act as they do. The owners should always be able to foresee how their dog may react in different situations. And that's why dogs should not be unleashed in public places, even if their owners think that their dog never done anything bad to anyone.. Eventually they are predators and gregarious animals.. and they are very protective. Oh god how I hate those dog owners, who keep they dog unleashed and they run to my rottweiler and the owners do nothing to take their dog away. They only shout far away that their dog is a kind one. What the hell.. It's so ****ing dangerous, if the dogs for some reason doesn't accept each other. And it's dangerous for me, because I defend my dog. I hate those people and they hate me after that incident.

Adam

This is what happens when stupid people jump the gun and start pointing fingers at the first pitty they see! I am the proud owner of a pitty and dogs shouldn't be put down owners should be put down! Leave the defensless dogs alone and start going after the real problem, Dumb F%@$ing owners that train thy're pitty's to be the why they are!

omgsammi

Dawn, I think you may be retarded. Just because we feel that animals shouldn't be murdered doesn't mean we are anti people. Should someone who punches someone be killed? Should people who steal be killed? I'm sure you've hurt someone in your lifetime, do you deserve to die for it?

Court Observer 2

Court observer, I don't know what court you were sitting in a-hole BUT I WAS THERE TOO, yes she was bit but not by THAT 9 month old puppy. LET ME REPEAT P-U-P-P-Y! You probably beat your kids when they do wrong...it's a freakin' puppy! You must be that animal hating group sitting there licking your wounds when the judge ruled against you...sore losers and animal haters......And Vanessa would do well to stay away from the Poconos if she is going to demand the death of every animal she comes in contact with.
DEATH TO ALL MOSQUITOS DAMMIT!

Gareth

Ya she should have to pay for all of the dog's owners costs. All that work must've been pretty expensive.