La Toya: Michael Wanted to Teach Bubbles to Talk

7/11/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Jackson spent thousands of dollars on research to see if it was possible to perform a medical procedure on his beloved pet Bubbles that would give him the ability to speak ... this according to an interview with his sister La Toya.

0711_micheal_bubbles_getty
Michael eventually came to realize that any such procedure would be too risky, but not after flying in experts. La Toya told News of the World, "... He wanted to give him vocal chords and asked doctors, 'Can I give him an operation so that I can know what his thoughts are?'"

La Toya says the most Bubbles ever mustered up was the occasional bark or grunt.

aston

Nan -

I was just wondering whether Michael was in touch with Jane Godall, and now you say he was. Can you provide a link?

Again - wanting to communicate with chimpanzees is NOT "out there". As I said, scientific research has been ongoing, though not along the drastic lines LaToya claims Michael was interested in. There more I think about it, the more I think this story could be in character. A lot of people wonder what animals are thinking. The only difference with Michael, forever the doer, is that he wanted to actually try and find out.

The operation, moving of the larynx, was to make it possible for Bubbles to form language sounds. It's a crazy idea, but not taken completely out of the blue. Human babies can't talk until their larynxs move down in their throats.

I'm very glad no one offered to perform the operation on the poor animal, though. Chimps are not meant to talk. Still, chimps have made remarkable progress in labs communicating with different forms of signs - even cracking jokes and forming new "words".

juan lopez

this is Michael who wants to be funny and not TMZ, TMZ send us what Michael choose to whrite, funny Michael as you are , I kove when you imagine history like this, LOVE:):):) emna

Posted at 9:22 AM on Jul 11, 2010 by emmmna

Ahhh. Good afternoon to you too, emmna

jenny

TMZ writers

, I think you meant to say, "...but not UNTIL AFTER flying in experts."

As for the story, isn't is just another prime example of how deeply out of touch with reality this man was?

BTW @mjfan212, we ARE "descended from chimps (apes)." It's called evolution, and while the last details are murky, the basics of it are A FACT. If you don't know why trying to get the chimp talking was weird (as opposed to him having human relationships, or spending the money on better and more important things), then you, too, are beyond help.

LaToya is a talentless attention whore; so what else is new?

Posted at 10:09 AM on Jul 11, 2010 by Raejean

HA! the fact that you believe this story shows just how OUT OF touch you are with the world. The fact that you come here on every Jackson story to post trash about him shows how pathetic YOU are. Grow up!

RIP, Michael Jackson. I'm sure he could give a **** about this stuff. News of the World, what a joke! Good job, TMZ. You weren't getting any attention with any other story, knew you'd have to throw in something "MJ" related, only stories that get any attention. Kiss MJ's feet, TMZ....he's paying for everything about TMZ! No one would give a crap about this tabloid trash can if they weren't relentlessly posting stories about MJ.

Now, they're on a path to ruin and stalk Lindsey Lohan to death, literally.

TMZ is a joke!

hannahrose

Bravo, Phantom. I wish everyone would listen to this. I love You forever Michael. RIP

Criss

"I do not believe we desended from apes,God created us"

Oh boy, another one.

Siggisis

I don't believe this story.TMZ would be better served if they'd stay away from tabloids that print fiction such as this.I know LaToya has said some outlandish things in the past,but this story can not be believed.LaToya is capable of raising eyebrows with her own questionable statements and has no need for someone to put words in her mouth.
Michael wasn't that stupid;he knew how to read and would have studied up on primates and would have known that chimps and apes were not physically capable of voicing words.

Posted at 10:22 AM on Jul 11, 2010 by CloBird

Amen.
________________________________________________________________
About whether we come from the apes. Yes and no. We most likely share forefathers with the primates.
We share about 95% of our genetic material with chimps. Quite a lot, really!
And I am NOT going to enter into a discussion about whether God made us or not! My mouth is zipped because I know it will lead NOwhere.

lovemj

aah, this is funny - throw out anything Michael Jackson to get people going...

i wish i could understand what my dog thinks too__wanna make something of it!??

MJ had enough money that he could do things that most can only dream about, and THAT'S what brings out the vicious gossip and hate mongering directed at him, not the fact they think he's so bad.

gimmeabreak

MJ delusional fans should be very, very grateful Bubbles can't talk. The depraved sickening stories he would tell about MJ would crush their pathetic little souls. They can't handle the truth! The power of denial is what gets them through their day.

Lorna

It would've been money better spent if he found experts to teach LaToya to shut up.

Siggisis

Posted at 11:04 AM on Jul 11, 2010 by Lorna

LOL

K

44 - LOL

wet

GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!! MJ'S BODYGUARDS HAVE STATED THAT IN NO WAY DID MJ SIGN A WILL ON JULY 7TH 2002, THEY WERE WITH HIM THE ENTIRE TIME!!! AND HAVE ATTESTED IN NO WAY DID HE SIGN A WILL WHILE IN NY PROTESTING AGAINST T. MOTTOLA AND SONY!!! J. BRANCA IS A FRAUD!!!!!!

kim

You are too funny d.b. People like tmz are just taking this so way out of context. I am sure Michael was just curious as is so many scientists on this subject. Tmz just likes to make him look bad as often as they can. And this story was out a month ago and they r just now getting to it? Jees. Slow day at tmz.

rip mj