« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Derek Fisher: I'm Staying with the Lakers

7/12/2010 5:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Derek Fisher has officially decided to remain with the Los Angeles Lakers -- and  the person who had the biggest impact on his decision was his friend and teammate Kobe Bryant

0712_derek_fisher_lakers_Getty_EX_01

Fisher tells TMZ, "I have decided to continue with Kobe, continue with our teammates and the fans of Los Angeles."

He adds, "While this may not be the most lucrative contract I've been offered this off season, it is the most valuable."

As we first reported, Fisher was being courted by LeBron James' new squad -- the Miami Heat -- but ultimately decided to stay in L.A.

"At the end of the day, there's one person I could not turn away from," Fisher tells us. "Kobe Bryant asked me to stay but supported whatever decision I made. He and I have played together for 11 seasons, came into the league together as kids, and has been loyal to me even when others had doubts."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

RJ Hunt

TMZ...YOU GUYS NEED TO PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES...OF COURSE FISHER WAS STAYING IN LA, NONE OF THE OTHER TEAMS (GOOD TEAMS) HAVE ANY MONEY LEFT TO PAY HIM...STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW CELEBRITY GOSSIP...LEAVE THE SPORTS NEWS FOR ESPN AND CBS SPORTS-LINE...THANK YOU!!!

chuck steel

hey harvey,have you ever fired someone for making queer jokes in front of you?

please

I can tell you, he could have gone anywhere and he would still be one of the most classy and respected players in the NBA hands down.
He has been a top notch guy his entire life.

laker201035

Thank you Derek Fisher for staying with the best team in the land!! You are my favorite of all the Lakers and I love you all but you are the classiest of them all and sometimes money isn't everything!!! Let's win next year for Phil!!! GOOOOOO Lakers!!

Joey

Fish aint no dummy he is currently playing with the best team since the Jordan era Bulls why would he leave? Plus Lebron and the bunch wont win as many games as you would think they are going to be a target for EVERY team in the league. They (the Heat)are going to be physically abused this year all of them. They will be abused because they exposed themselves for what they are little bitches !!!!!!!

lenabenas21

Derek Fisher is one of my all time favorite Laker Players! I'm so thrilled to hear he's staying in LA. He could not be a more upstanding guy, on and off the court. I'm very big on Loyalty and I appreciate him being loyal his fans and to his team. Money aint everything but I really wish LA had given the man what he deserved or that Kobe would have renegotiated his contract to free up salary for his boy Fish but it's all gravy - no money will compare to a 6th title! DFISH!

CentralScrutinizer

Wow, people here don't know basketball, do they? Crowning the Heat champions of the league next season? Really? Currently, their roster consists of three superstars, three second-round picks who haven't played a minute in the NBA, and a couple of scrubs. They don't have that much money left to go out and get more top-rank talent. As of today, they don't even have a starting point guard or a starting center. They also have no depth; an injury to any one of the big three, especially during the playoffs, will leave them in bad shape. Also, this team is all about offense right now, and is lacking in quality defenders and the quality roleplayers needed to eat up minutes and give the Big 3 a rest now and then.

They should easily win well over 60 games and the East by the simple fact there aren't that many good teams in the NBA, and they'll blow the many bad teams out with their star power. But in a seven-game series against a team as deep as the Celtics (who have a bench that actually won them playoff games this year) or as deep and as big physically as the Lakers, with a front wall that features Gasol, Artest, Bynum, and Odom? It takes a complete team to win those types of series, and the Heat aren't there yet...which is one of the reasons they wanted to get Fisher so badly.

lov3

HE TOOK A PAY CUT FOR KOBE!!!! did i hear that right? 11 seasons with KOBE and THE F***ING LAKERS offer Fish ONLY five milli. and the HEAT was offering more. PLEASE!!! DID KOBE EVEN SUGGEST A PAY CUT OR SUMTHING....FISH i had WAAAAYYYY more respect for you then this ... Sound like a KOBE rider!!!! *smh* another one bites the dust.

Mayor of Poodle Town

Derek Fisher is a this fans franchise player and the heart and soul of the Los Angeles Lakers. Thank you Fish for the 11 seasons and hopefully a lot more. The Mayor is pleased!!!

Mindy

Wait....you mean he made a decision without grandstanding on a self serving ego driven prime time special??? Well I'll be damned!

Patriotel

I admire his loyalty and he didn't have to make a huge production out of this. I think it was smart too because the Lakers are the best in the NBA.

STORYBURNcom

was there any doubt? Why mess with success?

dd

Told ya so, Lakers are always the way to go..we want you to retire with us!!!!!

dd

It's not always about the money, the cancer specialists in Los Angeles saved his daughter life, I would want to stay with the team and my babys doc's..

dd

#19 Mikey come out of the closet and be proud of who you really are..don't insult others.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments