« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Derek Fisher: I'm Staying with the Lakers

7/12/2010 5:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Derek Fisher has officially decided to remain with the Los Angeles Lakers -- and  the person who had the biggest impact on his decision was his friend and teammate Kobe Bryant

0712_derek_fisher_lakers_Getty_EX_01

Fisher tells TMZ, "I have decided to continue with Kobe, continue with our teammates and the fans of Los Angeles."

He adds, "While this may not be the most lucrative contract I've been offered this off season, it is the most valuable."

As we first reported, Fisher was being courted by LeBron James' new squad -- the Miami Heat -- but ultimately decided to stay in L.A.

"At the end of the day, there's one person I could not turn away from," Fisher tells us. "Kobe Bryant asked me to stay but supported whatever decision I made. He and I have played together for 11 seasons, came into the league together as kids, and has been loyal to me even when others had doubts."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

m.b.

Thank You Derek. You are my fav..Laker. The Only Jersey I have is Fisher. I was so pissed when u went to Warriors and Then to Utah....But I still rooted for you. U are truly a gentleman and a Profesional. These "Superstars" could learn alot from you, as a Teamate and a Family man. MUCH RESPECT.

Malo

GOOOO LAKERS!!!!! FISHER ALL THE WAY!!! YOU ARE THE BEST FISH!!!!

Malo

PURE HEART!!! LOYALTY!!! CLASS!!! = FISHER!!! The only LAKERS' jersey I've ever had!!! Let those haters talk crap... They can't stand themselves!!!

Steve

Slow news day I guess.

Brian

I gotta respect his decision. He said "While this may not be the most lucrative contract I've been offered this off season, it is the most valuable." what that means is he didn't wanna sell out his pride his friendship with Kobe his team mates or his LA fans. Maybe money doesn't mean everything to everyone after all.

lakerzrtheteam

Fish is a classy guy......totally class act! We can't do it without him, for sure! I'm so happy...

alyx

A man with integrity...bravo!!!! Love those Lakers...

$$$$

Thank you Fish for staying,and thank you for all your past contributions with the Lakers.Hope your daughters' health has stabalized and she is able to enjoy life.

Nancy

INAKI, accusing Kobe of being a racist along with saying his wife doesn't like hispanics is stupid. Please get your facts straight before saying something so wrong. First of all, Kobe's wife is Mexican so how could you accuse her of not liking Hispanics??? Especially when she wears T-Shirts that say "Latina", "Mexicana" and "Do I look Illegal to you?" You are an idiot.

AAnnieGirl

Way to Go Derek!! What an awesome decision! At least someone knows the TRUE meaning of "Loyalty", and not just to ones own self!!!

travis

omg your guys are more legit than espn...keep up the good work guys...from now ill be checking tmz for my new source...

salma

lakers all the way.....i cant wait that lebron **** to loose this season i just wonna see the look of his face he is not leader look what he did to cavs....he could stay in like dwayne wade and call for help some good players in his team or some'' so here is the deal.....celtics is gonna smash heat'' after that is gonna be all ours golden days and purple night ooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee black mamba stay strong )

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5