D.A.'s Office Will Not Rush Mel Gibson Case

7/14/2010 6:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sources involved in the Mel Gibson investigation tell TMZ ... the D.A's office will not become "part of the howling mob" and rush a decision on whether to prosecute the actor.

0709_mel_gibson_EX_Getty_01
We're told reps from the L.A. County Sheriff's Department told the D.A.'s office last week ...  the case could be sent over to prosecutors as early as this week, but now that will definitely not happen.

There are critical witnesses still to interview -- including Oksana's dentist and 12-year-old son -- as well as the presentation Mel's lawyers will make to Sheriff's detectives.  And the Sheriff's department still needs to review and authenticate the tapes.

We're told prosecutors are in touch with Sheriff's detectives but they are not attending the witness interviews.

One source involved in the case put it this way:  "Mel isn't going anywhere.  He's like Tiger Woods.  There's no where he can hide in the world.  And she (Oksana) isn't in any danger.  We're in no rush to make a decision.  We're going to do it right."

0708_gibson_fotter_550

sistaelle

And because they, unlike the howling masses, know his side of the story.

Lynn M

Thank goodness the LAPD is standing up to the lynch mob. It's called due process. There are questions about the authenticity of these tapes, and, if they've been tampered with, well, Mel has been denied his due process by releasing the tapes before they were authenticated and in violation of a court order.

I'm glad the LAPD is taking its time. Let the chips fall where they may. I hope Oksana also gets charged as these tapes were under seal for a reason. I don't care what he said. This was for the courts to handle. If the attorney had a hand in this, his license should be yanked. Wrong or not, Mel has a right to a FAIR hearing.

honesty

They should take their time. Double check everything. Take really good look at the Dentist office pictures. Talk to everyone involved.
They are only going to get one chance at this. They better make sure everything is on the up and up

Clj

I think they are both in trouble. If Mel was physically abusive, and this is his first time being charged with it, he will probably get PBJ as long as he goes to anger management. She will then have a good civil case. However if the only proof she has to the physical abuse is the recordings she made illegally (any judge should never let the tapes be heard in court because of this), then Mel will get off. If she has witness to the actual abuse that is a different story. I just hope that her son has not been coached by her and she hasn't paid off the dentist. She has definitely committed a federal crime by recording their conversation without his knowledge. She should be prosecuted for this. Mel has a good civil case for this because the tapes were released to the public and has damaged his reputation. Remember 2 wrongs do not make a right. I do not condone any physical abuse by anyone for any reason and I also do not condone extortion or ruining someones reputation because you want money.

Violette-Blue

I'm just waiting for the cops to interview Mel's ex-wife and kids to find out whether or not he was actually abusive to them. I doubt it. They were married for 30 years and if something had happened, it would have been brought up in court already.

honesty

California is a two party tape consent state, UNLESS there is a law being broken. Terrorist threats(threatening to kill someone), Threatening to hurt himself, domestic violence, endangering a child(hitting a woman holding an infant), and proving those things allow a taping without one's consent,according to CA's laws.

In NC where I live, you only need one party, no matter if something illegal is going on or not. It depends on the state and their individual laws.

bmull

re: There's no where he can hide in the world.

Domestic violence is not a crime in half the world which includes Eastern Europe, most Muslim countries and Africa. There are other countries where it's considered a minor offense. He could live any of those places and not be extradited.

tracker

I AM SO DISCUSTED WITH CALIFORNIA AUTHORITIES..OKSANA NOT IN DANGER.DUH.I,LL BURY YOU,I,LL SHOOT YOU,I,LL BURN THE HOUSE DOWN.OH YEH AND KNOCK HER TEETH OUT WHILE SHE,S HOLDING A NEWBORN BABY.UNFUGGING BELIEVABLE...WOMEN WILL NEVER BE SAFE..NICOLE SIMPSON RING A BELL....MORONS/////

PET

GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES PEOPLE.YOU JUDGEMENTAL FREAKS. YOU ALL ACT SO INNOCENT. HE JUST HAPPENED TO BE RECORDED IN HIS OWN HOME. AND I LOVE HOW THE RACIST JESSE JACKSON, AL SHARPTON AND THE NAACP CONDEMNED HIM FOR HIS RACIST REMARKS BUT THEY GET A FREE PASS WHEN THEY MAKE THEM ALL THE TIME SO SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!

ouy

If Mel were dangerous he would have raped her when she didn't give him a BJ in the jacauzzi. He mentions one time she fell asleep after 2 minutes, snoring. Does this sound like a murderer, or rapist?? Not to me, he didn't TAKE, or rape her. He did rant at her. But who knows what silent emotional abuse he has endured? I personally think he is a loud mouth, and of more harm to himself. He needs to worry about him. He screams over and over, she ruined him. That is emotional ruin. He loved her. What a stupid man.

mysteria333

DEAR MEL: I'AM SORRY FOR YOUR TROUBLES BUT KEEP THE FAITH AND TRUST IN GOD AND YOU WILL BE FINE. I'AM SORRY THAT OUR SOCIETY HAVE STOOPED SO LOW, THAT IT WOULD PLAY SOMEONES PERSONAL PHONE CALLS ON NATIONAL TV. NOT EVEN KNOWING IF IT IS YOU. AND EVEN IF IT IS, WE ARE ALL GUILTY OF LOSING OUR TEMPER AND RANTING AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. I WILL PRAY FOR YOU, GOD IS GOOD AND HE UNDERSTANDS. BUT I KNOW THAT YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT. THE MEDIA HAS TRIED AND CONVICTED YOU. BUT YOU ARE ONE OF MANY OF THE MEDIAS VICTIMS AS YOU WELL KNOW. I'AM ALSO SORRY YOUR FRIENDS ARE NOT COMING FORTH IN PUBLIC AND SPEAKING ON YOUR BEHALF. I HAVE TO WONDER WHAT KIND OF FRIENDS THEY ARE. THAT IS WHY I HAVE THE ULTIMATE RESPECT FOR WHOOPI, SHE SPOKE UP FOR YOU AND DID NOT CARE WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT. THATS WHAT YOU CALL A REAL FRIEND. THE MEDIA HAS BEEN IN THE BOTTOMLESS PIT OF HELL FOR A LONG TIME NOW. NO HONOR NO ETHICS, NO CONCERN ABOUT DESTROYING LIVES AND CAREERS. AND THEY CLEARLY DONT REALIZE THAT THERE WILL BE AN ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THIS. AND THEY ALL KNOW WHO THEY ARE. SO I PRAY FOR THEM AND I PRAY FOR OKSANA AS WELL. PEACE BE TO YOU MR. GIBSON.

Charlotte

He's manic!! No doubt about it!! He needs a good psychiatrist and lithium STAT!!!!

CAA

mysteria333......WHERE in Gibson's rants do you ANYTHING remotely GOD like?
I think you'd better pray for yourself first.......good grief woman........

areyoukiddingme

Charlotte, agreed. He just looks sooo sick... physically, mentally. His eyes look so lost, so ill, in this picture and almost every one I see. Hope he gets meds in him quick. But, unfortunately, until he hurts someone or himself, there's nothing anyone can do to help him. People like this rarely submit to treatment themselves. Let's hope it doesn't get any more tragic.

Cynthia J

Jesus H., is Mel so important that the case cannot move forward? He'll buy everyone off, including his Russian lover. What a bunch of classless fools these people are. You just cannot make up how sick people become. He's a raging maniac. He should have known that this woman made her living off of hooking up (and having babies) with rich Hollywood men. You get what you get. But that does not excuse his horrible abusive, sexually degrading behavior. What a PIG!!! I'd rather live in a box on the side of the road than depend on him for anything.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments