Oksana vs. Mel -- The Cigarette Incident

7/21/2010 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Oksana Grigorieva claims Mel Gibson grabbed her son and threw him onto a table in a fit of rage, all over a cigarette.  But this may be the only incident where there are other witnesses who can either support Oksana's claim of abuse or prove she's lying.

0719_Oksana_Mel_getty_ex_04

It happened at a party last year in Costa Rica. Sources connected to the case say Oksana's 12-year-old son, Alexander was playfully jumping up and down, trying to knock a cigarette out of Mel's mouth.  Oksana claims Mel exploded by grabbing the boy and throwing him violently onto a table.

The issue came up during the mediation in May, when Mel and Oksana were trying to work out a custody arrangement and a financial package.

Sources say Oksana's people informed Mel's lawyers of the incident. Mel's lawyers investigated and came right back, claiming there were "numerous adults and children" who saw the incident and saw it very differently.

Mel's people claim the witnesses will say it was all just clowning around and Mel did not get physical with Alexander but rather the boy just accidentally fell as he was jumping for Mel's cigarette.

The reason this incident is so significant in the criminal investigation -- it's not just a "he said, she said."  That translates into credibility, which is at the core of the case.

0708_gibson_fotter_550

Previous 15 Comments | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

Tired of toxomom

Ankaret- let me dumb it down for you: I can't abide idiots like you. Even funnier that you think I'm a little girl. LOL. Obviously you need to brush up on your own reading comprehension skills. I asked if you were the same ankaret/simonae that was on other sites. And I stated that ankaret/simonae is a nut job. Google the screen name- she is quite off her rocker. It's just one of those unhappy coincidence in life that you use the same screen name and rant on just as she does. Like I said, sucks to be you.

Alia

is it just me or are the pictures of Lucia with the abrasion look more like baby acne? I think Oksana and her team are stretching this a bit.

momof5

I do believe Mel has problems but cannot buy into Oksana's version at all. The tapes don't ring true - they truly do sound spliced and planned. The pictures of abuse also look wrong to me. I have veneers on my front teeth after a sporting accident and had them 'knocked out' years later when i was accidently head butted by my youngest. My lips look far worse then hers and when veneers come off the original teeth look pretty terrible too. I think that she is destroying her credibility with all these tapes and I honestly don't understand why she didn't go to the police immediately with all her info at the time this was all happening. I think this is all about money period. Also if she is such a wonderful mother why hasn't any one else spoken up for her? So much of these stories on both sides don't ring true that I don't understand why so many are pro Mel or Pro Oksana. The truth lies somewhere in the middle and this seems to be turning into a witch hunt.

edward

i like how theres all these things shes saying about him. none of its true if it was she would have come out a long time ago, if Mel really did hit her and screwed up her teeth why didnt she break it off with him then instead of what 4 months later, this chick is a nut job now shes sayin he threw her kid.

Criss

This is starting to sound like she's just making stuff up now.

Lucky

That is one ugly chick......her mouth is disgusting.

me

This woman is definitely going for the gold and is full of it.

I am a victim of abuse. One thing a victim will not tolerate is someone putting their hands on their children. Especially children that do not belong to the accused.

If a woman keeps herself & her children in an environment where the child will / or can be hurt, she is very, very guilty of neglect and abuse herself.

No one would ever stay in or near a person that hurt their child unless they were trying to build a case against that other person that had a lot to lose. No one !!!

This woman obviously knew this man had a short fuse, and he did not want her anymore so...she was going to hold out do what she could to get enough evidence ..even if her child may have already been hurt ...so she can coup the " Gold"

No one lets people hurt their kids, "ever". And if for any reason they do...they need to be locked up for contributing to it.

Winston Court

Great. So Mel is an angry racist and Oksana is a gold-digging-slut, (if you choose to believe either, or even both) big deal. Then you have the control freaks who want to fix, punish or in some other way, f*ck with them for their faults, a major character fault and dwarfs all others, in my opinion. Takes all kinds to run a world. I just don't want either of them to succeed. If Mel is attempting to pull off some angry racist stunt, don't let him. If Oksana is attempting to pull off some rip-off-gold-digging stunt, don't let her. Geesh, when has mental illness become the operating mode of the day?

The real problem is if the courts assist either one of them!

cari

Like I have said before.....I hope we see Timothy Dalton beat THE CRAP out Mel Gibson!

I think everyone (especially the police) will give him a 'pass' on that one.

and max...please go away. your annoying and it doesn't do your retarded cause any favors.

ForTheRecord

What kind of a mother would stay in a relationship with someone who abused her son and then only mention it 8 months later when she is asking for money? I do not believe her version of this. She is exaggerating events for monetary advantage. Does she think everyone is stupid and will believe her without checking? What's with this photo of her baby with a tiny rash mark on his face? I think what happened is they had an argument and she was holding the baby, Ms O ran out of the house into the garden in the dark and fell. She was holding the baby so she didn't put out her hands to stop herself. She hit her head and bit down hard on her teeth causing the veneers to break off since they were so much longer than her real teeth and had no back support. She blamed Mel for her falling, for her teeth, for everything. He is guilted into thinking he is at fault because if he wasn't yelling then she wouldn't have run out in the dark.

ForTheRecord