Brittany Murphy, Husband's Deaths -- the Mold Factor

7/25/2010 3:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The investigation into Brittany Murphy and Simon Monjack's deaths is now being handled by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, TMZ has learned ... and it's all because of mold found in their home.

0723_simon_monjack_brittany_murphy_EX_getty
Law enforcement sources tell TMZ the issue of mold in the house came up early during the investigation into Brittany's death -- but it was deemed "not to be a contributing factor."

Then when Simon passed away a few months later, we're told the issue came up again -- but Brittany's mom, Sharon, wouldn't let the L.A. County Coroner's Office in to investigate the mold. Now, we're told, Sharon has agreed to let Public Health investigators into the home.

Mold could be relevant to Simon and Brittany's respiratory health. Pneumonia was a cause of death for both of them.

We're also told Simon's mother, Linda Monjack is fully supportive of this move, and will be flying from Europe so she can be close to the investigation.

UPDATE: A rep for Sharon tells TMZ, "I have never been personally asked by the Coroner or anyone from the Health Department to come and inspect my home for mold ... to the best of my knowledge there has been no evidence of mold at the Murphy residence."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Bubba

" -- but Brittany's mom, Sharon, wouldn't let the L.A. County Coroner's Office in to investigate the mold."

Why not? Has she something to hide?

Klipper

As soon as the guy's cause of death was ruled to be the exact same thing as Brittany's I mentioned to my girlfriend that I bet there's some kind of a bad mold problem in their home. Damn, I'm good.

bmull

I thought the coroner's office doesn't believe in toxic mold. When have they ever said a young healthy person died of mold? Never is when. And they won't this time either. They'll just say they ruled it out.

Olivia

Something's definitely not right here. Seriously, what are the odds that two young married people are going to die of the exact same things, let alone pneumonia and anemia, several months apart.

And does her mom have something to hide? Why wouldn't the mom let the L.A. County Coroner's Office in to investigate the mold? If it is mold killing them, she should want to check it out ASAP so she's not the next victim. What up?

Maria Lopez

I don't think they died of mold. They likely died of drug abuse.

Magnum

So who is right, the Department of Public Health or Maria Lopez.
Hmm.....

TheMachine1

"Acetaminophen should be used cautiously in patients with anemia since this condition can be aggravated." Many commonly prescribe opiate drugs also have acetaminophen in them.

Blue Lake

Come on, they're all drug addicts. Mom too.

Jamaican sam

=========================================

All of Hollywood has become a bit moldy.

=========================================

Coupon Mountain®

Jim in Cali

Mold caused the death? That is totally bizarre.

beachkid

An interesting development.

Barb

I'm not liking what I'm thinking...Sharon is the only common factor. I'm beginning to suspect her. Was Britney planning to change her will, leaving Sharon out? Mold apparently affected both Britney and Simon, but doesn't bother the mother? Something is wrong here.

itsMeAgain

i don;t think the mom lived there with them ...perhaps it will take time to gt her too...eventually! it takes time doesn't it for this thing to build up in your system?

Its_Toots

Mom is coming in from EUROPE - ? Isn't she....from GEORGIA, USA??? Brittany made that kind of money, what? I don't give a damn what anyone says, something is EFFED UP HERE.

Maelio

Fungal infections severe enough to cause death are almost always associated with an immunocompromised host. On autopsy, histological examination should have revealed fungal elements within a strong immunological response. But, I must admit, fungal elements are very difficult to see unless you look for them...

It will be interesting to see which mold type grows.

With that I suspect more information will be gathered from the postmortem toxicology than from environmental mold examination.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments