Brittany Murphy, Husband's Deaths -- the Mold Factor

7/25/2010 3:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The investigation into Brittany Murphy and Simon Monjack's deaths is now being handled by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, TMZ has learned ... and it's all because of mold found in their home.

0723_simon_monjack_brittany_murphy_EX_getty
Law enforcement sources tell TMZ the issue of mold in the house came up early during the investigation into Brittany's death -- but it was deemed "not to be a contributing factor."

Then when Simon passed away a few months later, we're told the issue came up again -- but Brittany's mom, Sharon, wouldn't let the L.A. County Coroner's Office in to investigate the mold. Now, we're told, Sharon has agreed to let Public Health investigators into the home.

Mold could be relevant to Simon and Brittany's respiratory health. Pneumonia was a cause of death for both of them.

We're also told Simon's mother, Linda Monjack is fully supportive of this move, and will be flying from Europe so she can be close to the investigation.

UPDATE: A rep for Sharon tells TMZ, "I have never been personally asked by the Coroner or anyone from the Health Department to come and inspect my home for mold ... to the best of my knowledge there has been no evidence of mold at the Murphy residence."

Alexa

I thought he died because he needed to have a heart operation and had been puttin it off. Who knew? So sad. They had everything going for them.

V

I am not buying the mold B.S., the mom is not sick. The couple took meds and died, I find it weird that all these Hollywood people that are known to take meds & drugs get a pneumonia plug from the celebrity coroner.

Mayu

is there something wrong with Britney Murphy's mother?

I seem to remember her being as uncooperative after her daughters death as she was when her son-in-law died.

if my daughter died under suspicious conditions, I'd do everything I possibly could to find out the reason, even if I had to tear down the whole house myself and test the mold personally.

I couldn't rest till I knew the truth.

Not accusing her of anything, cause I think it was the mold that did it (Many molds can kill)... but I just found that whole mother angle weird. I guess we all deal with grief in our own way.

Meriale

I know full well that Brittney and Simon din't die from drug abuse.The ignorance of some people astound me.Because she was a star she must be an addict too.Well my dears more people that aren't in the entertainment industry are addicts more often than not.Brittney was a hard working young lady and I'm sure she took medication's when she was ill.But to just assume she did street drug's show's a level of mentality that say's your family or even you have issue's with drug's.It's more likely to be mold spore's than anything else.This closely mimic's cold and pneumonia symptom's.

Tellit

I was in a house like that once. After prolonged (upper respiratory tract infections) exposure..it'll finally shut your respiratory tract down in a NY minute.
I kept telling doctors..the house was the problem...they'd say..."that's all in your head"!! Until I starting going to reknowned Environmental Specialist.
Bad business....don't fool around with it. Fix the problem...if not.....CLEAR OUT ASAP!

I 'SAY' FAKE...

... #108 = STFU & GTFO. Britt "Em" Her *SKUmmy FAKE "husband" SKUM-jack* WERE BOTH 'MAJOR' *drug* ADDICTS. BTW for more *"Em"fo* about how Britt REALLY Died... -> Google "Russian angle, Brittany Murphy Death, Igor Desyatnikov, Milla Jovovich" and/or "Brittany Murphy Died After Partying In Rublyovka".

... for #115... *you* don't know ****. And learn how to spell Her 'NAME' = It's "BRITTANY".

SPELLED"Brittany"

It's SPELLED "Brittany" *#115 you MORON*. #108 = STFU & GTFO... *you* don't know ****.

She 'WAS' A DRUG ADDICT. GET OVER IT. In 2004 Sharon even NIXED the idea of taking Britt to REHAB and recording Her CD w/ Her Bertolotti half-siblings Tony, Jeff and Pia. Unfortunately Britt, being BRAINWASHED by Her "Mommy DRUGgest", continued to use *cocaine* AND Rx's "Em" 'NEVER' recorded Her CD w/ the Bertolottis. And as an'OTHER' commenter stated previously, Sharon w/ the compromised "Em"mune syst"Em", has NOT gotten sick... neither has *the BUTTler* NOR the staff living at the Rising Glen residence either. Oh ya Don't forget the Russian Angle of Britt's Death - Google up "Russian angle, Rublyovka, Igor Desyatnikov, Milla Jovovich, Brittany Murphy Death" for the REAL *story* on "how" Britt Died.

Roberto

"How does this explain that they both had anemia?"

Mold causes iron, vit D and A difficiancy amonst other vitimins and minerals we need for a balanced life.

Sharon

This story gets more bizarre by the day. I know alot of people who have been greatly harmed by mold in their homes and even of some deaths from it. But, that just does not make sense that they were both diagnosed with pneumonia and then died a short time later - at different times - and mold was the culpret. Its possible, it seems to me, that mold could be a contributing factor. But, there has to be something else going on here - either in the house or with their health or a combination of both. But I don't think it is plausible that it could be from mold and only mold. If that were the case, they would have most likely had problems with their lungs for a long time before they died.

Meriale

To #118 I really don't think the spelling of her name is the relevant issue here.The story here is cause of death.No one has too be nasty to get there point across in all this.Aren't we all suppose to be mature people?Everyone has there own opinion.Let's keep it that.My grammar and spelling doesn't need correction by anyone.I have a Master's Degree in English Literature.Brittany's name can be spelled 1 of 3 way's.Britney,Brittany or Brittney.In English terminology,all meaning the exact same thing.

For the person curious about the anemia issue,Brittany was in the midst of a new picture that required her too lose an excessive amount of weight.As for Simon,I can imagine he went through a period of mourning were he didn't eat well.That may explain that issue.Not to mention that certain medication's to treat illnesses like pneumonia can cause many mineral deficiencies.And all too sad ending for 2 people I'm sure many will miss.

NoBreederRat

For those wondering why Sharon hasn't gotten sick, we don't know that she hasn't. We don't know that she isn't experiencing medical problems due to possible mold.

I was reading up on it because it affects my home as well. Some people have a better immune system than others.

bob r

maybe not mold but if water leak in home then perhaps a sewer gas leak also. chronic exposure to hydrogen sulfide can cause respiratory irritations and blood changes such as clotting and anemia. a hand-held hydrogen sulfide sniffer can be purchased for a couple hundred dollars.

Star Collector

To #118...where exactly did you get your "Master Degree in English Lit"? Online University?

I do have a MBA in EL and one of the first things I learned early was that proper spelling and punctuation count towards GPA.

Star Collector

Sorry, I meant #101.

SpecialK

A serious bed bug infestation can also lead to anemia. And they are on the rise right now, according a few articles I read recently. They did share a bed together, so maybe it has something to do with that? She was much smaller so maybe it affected her first whatever it was - just because they have big homes and lots of money and possibly housekeepers doesnt mean the place is clean and safe. It could happen anywhere. Who knows. RIP Britney, I enjoyed your movies, thanks for sharing your talent and spunk with us.