'American Idol' Interested in Jessica Simpson

7/28/2010 6:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jessica Simpson has had "several meetings" with the brass at "American Idol" in the hopes of taking over Simon Cowell's judging duties ... and sources involved tell TMZ there's "mutual interest."

0728_Jessica_Simpson_idol_getty_bn

We're told "Idol" is expected to make an official announcement regarding the judge situation sometime around the beginning of September.

So far, FOX has no comment on the situation.

C Los Angeles

NOT a good idea.

susan

HARRY CONNICK WOULD BE AWESOME. AT LEAST HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT AND WILL HELP THE CONTESTANTS THAT DON'T GET THROUGH. HE IS MORE RESPECTIBLE IN THE MUSIC FIELD. I VOTE FOR MR. CONNICK!!!!!

RC

Bleccch! What happened? That talented** singer Ashlee Simpson Wentz wasn't available? ** I'm obviously being very sarcastic.

zima

god she is soooooooooo dumb

Ginger

Talk about a no talent girl who's made it big because daddy has no limits in what he pushes her to do. If Jessica ends up on Idol, that will end it. The girl doesn't have two brain cells to rub together. I still think her dad pays those guys off to be her boyfriend. Someone who admits she never brushes her teeth - eww - who wants to kiss that.

Jill Conway

I didn't know they were that hard-up.

Walter

Jessica Simpson? Have they lost their mind?

AnonyMouse

It's official: American Idol is dead. RIP.

Muppet

I vote for Harry Connick Jr. as well, he would be fabulous as a replacement. He handled all of the contestants with such class this past season.
I've also hear Adam Lambert etc for Simon's replacement, so not sure I believe this story, but Jessica would be dreadful. If she gets the job I quit! (as a viewer)

DJ

Bret Michaels is the one to replace Simon. He's had way more experience than Jessica. He's been up and down the rock road & knows what works for the longevity.

theobservingone

Idol is a sinking ship. Weren't the ratings really low this year? I don't watch it, but I thought I heard that somewhere. It seems to me that it's time has come.

sgm

.....and why would she be a good judge of talent? Or would she be the one saying who is talentless like her! Takes one to know one!

neither of these two sluts

WHY HER...SHE IS DEFINITLY NO SINGER...VERY NON TALENTED IN THAT WAY...HECK...UNTALENTED ACTRESS TOO..THE ONLY THING SHE IS FIT FOR IS TO BE JOHN MAYERS NEPALM WHORE....HOW DOES THAT GET YOU AN AI GIG! DEFINITLY WONT WATCH IF THIS, THE WORLDS BIGGEST UNTALENTED BIMBO IS PLACE IN A SEAT JUDGING TALENT......

zoolady

That's like replacing Judge Judy with a puppy.

THIN LIZZY

Either Brett michaels or John Lydon- otherwise AI is done!!