Bob Barker: I Get Paid Too Much to Diss 'Price'

7/28/2010 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Moments after Bob Barker criticized Drew Carey's performance on "Price Is Right" yesterday -- dude issued a statement saying he didn't really mean it and that he hopes Drew does well ... because he's got cash riding on the show.

Bob Barker vs Drew Carey
TMZ first posted the footage yesterday -- in which Bob told us, "[Drew] does the show differently than I did ... I try to make the show really exciting. He doesn’t do that ... he just plays the games.”

But hours later, Bob tried to explain himself to Entertainment Weekly ... saying he would not criticize Drew, CBS or the show's producers "because I have a sizable royalty that I am paid every year this show is on, and it’s going on for years."

Barker added, "I hope this show stays on for years."

As for his criticism of Drew, Barker said, "He’s been charming and complimentary, and he had me on the show to plug my book ... to think that I would say anything derogatory about him is idiocy.”

0728_barker_tmz_v3

nobleday

Wow...glad to hear someone else saying what I've thought for a long time. The current show stinks. Drew is not in the right place. He's too bland for this game show, and doesn't have the voice or personality for it.

Make Bob look so much better. There must be someone else who'd do better. The show currently has very low energy aka...boring. Sorry it's just true.

Meg

I think Drew is doing a fine job. He is obviously very comfortable with people and enjoys his job. I loved Bob too but at the end he was very predictable. Go Plinko! LOL

deb

He gave three million so they could finish a hospital that treats guys coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan with traumatic brain injuries. He's a stand up guy.

CGS

Bob is friggin' senile! What the hell is he talking about?

chuck

Hay Bob go hump a dog, you ole fool!

nearli

why does Bob Barker care?...I thought he was dead...but by the looks of him he's not far.

sumgthis

John O'Hurley should have been the guy all along. A pro with a sense of style and humor.

Dondee

Team Bob.....He only spoke the truth....I haven't watched TPIR too often since Bob's departure. Different styles and Bob was the better host.

cqueenb

Who cares what this senile old man thinks? He was waaayyyy too boring, and his enormous ego let him think people thought he was good. Get a life because nobody pays any more attention to you now than they did when you were on TV.

Whatever

Drew Carey is the best thing to happen to TPIR and I have watched it since I was a kid in the 1970s. Drew is modern, fun, unique, and switches it up! They have live bands, fun games, hipper prizes and it to me is the best show on daytime television. It's got to be the best gig on television and to me, Drew fills the shoes well and honors the past, too. Watch it! DVR it!

Joanne

I enjoy watching Drew, he is hilarious, and it is great to see Drew not hitting on the girls, All in all I enjoy the game show.

Lynne

It's true though...Carey looks bored most of the time; He just goes through the motions.

chrissy

Bob was good but... I think drew is better........ make the money Bob then dissed him.. You must be losin it.., ty drew for makin me laugh... I'am from Ohio.. But thats not why like u..At least u had a real series and he just hosted a game show Love u

jatti418

i hate bob barker. he should have been spayed or neutered 200 hundred years ago. barker is an a**hole and was rude to the contestant. TEAM DREW

nobleday

Current? Drew acts like a sleepy senior citizen. I know he's doing his best and all, but really he's just in the wrong place. Give Drew another show or something else. He is funny and has a distinct personality - it's just not right for the game show world.

Someone like John O'Hurley would be a lot more fun! The show needs someone dynamic, personable, funny, and energetic. There are probably others out there too who would fit. Time for a change.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments