Bob Barker: I Get Paid Too Much to Diss 'Price'

7/28/2010 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Moments after Bob Barker criticized Drew Carey's performance on "Price Is Right" yesterday -- dude issued a statement saying he didn't really mean it and that he hopes Drew does well ... because he's got cash riding on the show.

Bob Barker vs Drew Carey
TMZ first posted the footage yesterday -- in which Bob told us, "[Drew] does the show differently than I did ... I try to make the show really exciting. He doesn’t do that ... he just plays the games.”

But hours later, Bob tried to explain himself to Entertainment Weekly ... saying he would not criticize Drew, CBS or the show's producers "because I have a sizable royalty that I am paid every year this show is on, and it’s going on for years."

Barker added, "I hope this show stays on for years."

As for his criticism of Drew, Barker said, "He’s been charming and complimentary, and he had me on the show to plug my book ... to think that I would say anything derogatory about him is idiocy.”

0728_barker_tmz_v3

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

nobleday

Hey, I know ...give it to Ryan Seacrest. Maybe he could squeeze it in between a few of his other jobs. Maybe Ryan could go for the record number of LA jobs held by just one person.

Or, how about Cat Deeley. Wouldn't it be fun to have a female host, and a bunch of good looking guys as models for a change. Maybe they could even model products and dance at the same time...that would make it even more entertaining.

How about Harvey replacing Bob/Drew? There are just so many possibilities.

Kate

Bob Barker should just sit in his rocking chair, watch the show and be quiet.

missywissy

I think anybody that has actually watched Price is Right when Bob Barker was hosting knows Bob said it like it is. Drew is boring. He just calls the people up to the stage, cracks a joke/or a "hey how's it going" and goes right to the game. Bob would get people so stoked they were freaking out and jumping and crying, and that kind of made the show. Team Bob.

DizzKid

Bob does have a point though. Drew does suck on the Price is Right. He not as worst as Wayne Brady, but he still sucks.

Don

geeeez, how old is bob barker now. he looks 100 years ++

Chris

I like Drew Carey, but as the host of TPIR, he stinks! He makes everything sooooooooooo boring.

Bob's Yer Uncle

The Price Is Wrong... Bob!

Bobby hasn't been the same since he lusted after Holly.

jc

Bob Barker?? That looks like C Monty Burns.

Team Drew

Uh, I'll take "Backpedalling Weasels" for $200, Alex. LOL

Linda

Drew has revived a sinking ship. Bob had gotten arrogant and mean, constantly abusing the contestants and the audience. Drew makes the show fun and attracts not only the codgers (us) but the teens and 20s generations. Go, Drew.

DAN WELK

I HEARD BOB IS HOMOPHOBIC ALSO. WHAT KIND OF PERSON IS HE? HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED LONG AGO.

Happy

The price is wrong, Bob!!

David M. Hugaert

Way to go, Bob! Bob's looking good @ almost 89! It's rare we get to see Bob these days. He said what was on his mind & I appreciate him for that. Kudos to you, Mr. Barker! Best wishes!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5