Casey Affleck Challenges Harassment Accuser's Case

7/28/2010 6:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Casey Affleck and his attorneys are firing back at the woman who claims he sexually harassed her while filming a Joaquin Phoenix documentary -- and they allege she attempted to extort the producers of the project.

0728_casey_affleck_amanda_doc_launch

Affleck's powerhouse attorney Marty Singer filed a motion to compel arbitration today in L.A. County Superior Court.

In the docs, Singer claims Amanda White -- the accuser -- signed an agreement with the production company that said, "All disputes that may arise between the parties ... will be determined solely by arbitration."

White filed a sexual harassment complaint last week -- claiming she endured "unwelcome sexual advances" while filming "I'm Still Here: The Lost Year of Joaquin Phoenix."  Affleck directed the project and White is listed as a producer.

Singer contends that White filed the suit as retaliation for not getting more cash during filming. In the legal papers, Singer claims White used "extortionate tactics in her effort to obtain more compensation than she was legally entitled to, and repeatedly threatened to interfere with the film Project."

UPDATE: White's attorney says his client did not sign an agreement with the production company that would force her into arbitration -- and he's looking forward to getting the case in front of a jury.

joe

It's the year of the gold digger!
Don't flirt with the flirty gurl at work or in the office! And gurls, don't dress so sk*nky, and guys won't give you attention.

Ginger

Geez, they're coming out of the woodwork. I'd advise the guys in H'wood be careful, very careful, who you speak to.

Dubstep'n

2010....

The year of extortionists, sexual harrassments AND Gloria Alldouche's paid off filthy who-res.

I'm bracing for what's coming in 2011.

Ehécatl

Where is the picture of the accuser? If we saw her picture, we´d pretty much be able to figure out if anyone wanted to harrass her.

From the looks of Casey Affleck I would tend to believe that he is guilty. Someone so dull could only find a girl if he harrassed her.

Sonja

Maybe there should just be NO money compensation for sexual harassment and claims of such must be reported and handled in a criminal way with real investigations. That way there will be less of these 'pay me to be quiet' whores running around and real women who are honestly being harassed on the job still have a legal option to protect their jobs.

Superman

Geez.. hey, Ben Affleck, go smack some sense into your dumbass brother!!! There's no way someone in the movie industry would risk being blacklisted unless the harassment allegations were true. It's more like the year of the dumbasses, especially the people who always take the celebrity's side and automatically trash the accuser!

middleagedcrazy

Yup, 'year of the gold digger' got my vote.

TLW

I agree with Sonja’s idea to stop the madness! Yes, allow the real victims of sexual harassment (women *and men*) to see their complaints handled by criminal courts, but eliminate the possibility of windfall profits from monetary judgments or hush-money. When money is removed from the equation, this ridiculous parade of fools will come to a grinding halt!

david

who is this person???

buxxy

I agree with LYW...the monetary awards are the impetus for all these stupid claims...it doesn't take much to conjer up a complaint...he looked at me this way, he said something I interpreted as sexual, he did this, he did that...whatever...you are awarded justice ... not money. Let's see how far that idea goes...

Common Sense

A criminal complaint is not a dispute, good luck Marty Singer

demonkitty

I wonder what this means for his wife Summer Phoenix (sister of River & Joaquin Phoenix) and their 2 kids? It must be so embarrassing for your husband to be accused of something like this, whether it actually happened or not.

Jodie

@ Ehécatl I think her pic is the one beside the picture of the do***ent? I think she looks kinda dumpy, but I agree with other comments it really seems to be a year for gold diggin lawsuits. They are giving girls a bad name like we all just wanna make moeny by sueing men :/ Is this film going to be released does anyone know?

Nome@home

If Casey Affleck is sexually harassing people can you please pass on my phone number?

reys

how about you all blow off? Seriously~!!!! Americans sue over ever bit and sht!!!!!! Relax you anal, money grabbin liers!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments