'American Idol' Finalist -- Fury Over Hunting Show

8/3/2010 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Former "American Idol" finalist Kristy Lee Cook has landed right in the crosshairs of an animal rights group -- over a new reality show in which she's on the hunt for a record contract ... and animals to shoot.

0802_kristie_lee_cooke_EX_Getty
While promoting her new reality/hunting show "Goin' Country," Cook -- who placed 7th on "Idol" in 2008 -- recently said, "I never used to like killing animals until I got out and experienced it.  It's the food chain.  Animals are here for us to eat."

Obviously, the statement didn't sit well with the group In Defense of Animals, who see things a little differently ... saying, "Contrary to Kristy Lee's beliefs, animals are meant to live out their lives in peace, not to be killed for our enjoyment."

So we gotta ask ...

You'rekidding

"Animals are here for us to eat."

Exactly!

In the very same way that women are here for men to do use (rape)!

doogie

Go for it Kristie!!!

Carmen

I wish all the "in defense of animals" people had been born 100 years ago...you'd have been hunting for your meals instead of buying your meat at the grocery store, hello...someone had to kill it...

I love animals...and I don't hunt...but I have no problems with those who hunt for meat...not trophies...

mimi

Um, Mimi (if that's your real name,) the "hostility" you claim not to get is because you, and EVERY other Redneck Hillbilly on this site, are allowed to breed, thereby making an otherwise pleasant place to be, rather unpleasant. I don't expect "ya'll" (is that how you say it?) to have an inkling of what I'm saying... I just had to put it out there....

First of all-Seeker- Mimi is what my grandkids call me. Second, I am not a redneck nor a hillbilly, but you seem to know exactly how to say and spell ya'll. I am an educated individual, a mother of 2 sons, a grandmother of 3 grandsons and a loving wife. I was raised in the city, but have lived in the country for about 25 yrs. Just because we enjoy hunting does not make us bad people. Its not us that makes this "pleasant place to be, rather unpleasant", its the drug dealers, the murderers, people who steal everything from bicycles to identities. I am just putting it out there.....

Pete

Pete, you are a *****. Take your canine teeth and suppliments, and stick a carrot up your a$$.

Posted at 6:06 AM on Aug 3, 2010 by CMD

^Oh, really good reply. You waste of sperm! The one thing that makes me sad today is that yo' mama didn't abort you. Jerk. Bet she wishes she had! (and I'm against abortion by the way, but in your case CMD, I'd be all for it). Loser hick.

Janet

From reading all the comments, it seems that the hunter haters are more hostile than the actual hunters. What's up with all the personal attacks on Kristy??? I have been in a hunting family for my entire life. I am definitely not a sociopath, in fact lawful gunowners and hunters are less likely to engage in violent criminal behavior. As for Kristy, she is not all about trying to get a record contract. She rescues horses from bad conditions and has a very busy well rounded life. You really shouldn't judge people until you know all the facts!!! You can be an animal lover as well as a hunter....attacking someone who doesn't fit your beliefs is narrow-minded and ignorant!!!

Pete

WTF is wrong with hunting? Unless you lived on concrete your whole life, Bambi was just a cartoon. Hunting is the ultimate conservational activity. It helps manage wildife and utilizes a renewable resource.

Posted at 12:57 AM on Aug 3, 2010 by CMD

Hmm. okay CMD. So let's say that we as humans are destroying the planet. There are too many of us. We are no match for Bear, Tigers, Lions, Sharks, etc. Take away our guns and weapons. So then I assume you're okay when a Coyote attacks and kills a kid? Using your logic, you must me okay with it then. Moron.

Pete

twighlightmom, first off, what a stupid name. Are you a 14 year old mother? Second off, if only rednecks hunted, it would have been shut down decades ago. You must be a city liberal who sips capacino and tries to convince all your phony friends how sophisticated you are. Do you think all that food just magically appears at the store?

Posted at 1:51 AM on Aug 3, 2010 by CMD

^ And clearly you are an in-bred, uneducated hick moron that is destroying this country. You're ver un-American CMD. Perhaps Iran is more suitable for you. You're a real tool.

CelebJustice

Just an observation.....

Posted at 7:50 AM on Aug 3, 2010 by seeker
********************************
Why is it that you have to attack and name call anyone that doesnt have the same beliefs or live the same lifestyle as you do?

Jen O.

Not getting preachy but God gave us reign over animals. There here for our nourishment. Food and population control.

CelebJustice

Posted at 10:09 AM on Aug 3, 2010 by Pete
************************************
Not anywhere close to being the same thing. Animals tend to breed when times are plentiful. Unfortunately... times arent aways plentiful. Food that wild animals depend on are not always available, diesease is rampant when animals are starving because of lack of resources.
Hunters cull the population back so that it is naturally sustainable. To me, that is much more humane then watching animals starve to death.
As far as the human population goes... we have the ability to plant, hunt, gather and have access to birth control.

Deb

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated"

"I hold today the same opinion as I held then. To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a being."

"I hold flesh-food to be unsuited for our species. We err in copying the loweranimal world if we are superior to it."
Gandhi

Carl

Some hunting is necessary, but I'm against hunting any animal that isn't experiencing an overpopulation problem. For example, deer are overpopulated in many areas and are actually destroying the forests they live in by eating plants faster than they can regenerate. But hunting bears and other predators is unnecessary.

iFart

Love those quotes Deb...I agree with the first two, but I don't believe we are superior to animals. Humans are more like a virus on this earth. I just read that we kill 73 million sharks a year...mostly for their fins...how is that even possible?! I'll never understand how anyone can hurt an animal honestly. We don't have to eat meat. I've been a vegetarian for almost all of my life. I wish it was a part of every school program to tour a meat factory...I bet most people would see things a lot differently if they understood how the clean looking package of meat in the grocery store got there. At least hunters understand that part, and I respect meat eaters that kill their own food a lot more than people who buy it in a store and pretend it wasn't once a living creature.

Pongo

Lots of people hunt and lots more eat meat. However, most of them aren't as stupid and tactless as this young woman was in describing how much she enjoys 'killing animals.' Being a carnivore may be a fact of life for some people. Being a psychopathic idiot who enjoys killing things and talking about it shouldn't be. Of course this was all done for attention, as she is a fame-whoring (and apparently pretty lousy) reality TV star. When will we be purged of this plague of mediocre idiots who need to see themselves on TV?