« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Roger Huerta on Street Fight - 'I Got the Better of Him'

8/5/2010 2:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ just spoke with Roger Huerta -- the former UFC fighter involved in a bloody street fight in Texas this weekend -- who tells us he only got violent ... after the other guy swung at him.

080510_roger_huerta
In a phone conversation just moments ago, Huerta told us he tried to remain calm early Saturday morning when he watched some random "huge guy" punch a girl in the head in the middle of the street ... explaining, “I just don’t think that it's right to hit a woman.  Period.”

Huerta tells us, "I approached the man calmly and said, “Do you know what you just did?  You just knocked out this girl."

But Huerta claims the other guy responded, "F*ck you, f*ck these bitches, I'll knock out any f*ckin' bitch that I wanna f*ckin' knock out, I’ll knock your f*cking bitch ass out.”

Huerta added, "... and as he's saying this, he's taking off his shirt ... and at that point I was like, alright.'"

Huerta insists that he didn't throw the first punch -- and only reacted when the other guy "started swinging at me" ... and we all know what happened next.

"I got the better of him and I left," Huerta said.

The 27-year-old explained, "If that was my mom, if that was my sister, my spouse, anyone … I would’ve wanted someone to step in and do something about it.”

0805_huerta_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Q

Huerta's full of s***. 1st of all, he went towards that guy and his friend was clearly trying to chase him to stop him. His friend was certainly under the impression that Huerta's intent was to attack the guy. 2nd of all, even if the guy hit him first, you can see on the video that the guy was running away and Huerta ran after him which he did not need to do, then you see Huerta pounding the guy's face. So, no, he wasn't trying to remain calm. 3rd of all, ANY professional fighter that attacks anyone outside the ring should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. What that big guy did was wrong, but it wasn't Huerta's place to get himself involved. There were enough people there to call the police and detain him.

Mai-Tai

I would like to see the tape prior to this. She wasn't running away, but on the contrary, it appears she was pushed back and then he swung. You all sit on here passing judgment without having a clue of what really happened.

If you pay attention to the crowd, there was already some type of altercation going on. I can't assume what happened before this was shot, but I doubt he just came up and knocked her out on purpose. I don't expect a pass because I'm female. If you are a woman and think you are a bad a**, trying to fight men like a man, you should expect to get knocked out like a man.

marydave

That ****ing coward deserved it!!! Drunk or not, that guy was swinging like he was sober so guess what? You get knocked the **** out! He knows right from wrong. I'm sick of people using the "drunk" excuse. **** that piece of ****! Hats off to Roger!!!!

JW Andrassy

Dude Roger would smack you so hard you would not know you moms name .

I trained with these guys hitting is a job like when you go you work they do this 6 to 8 hours a day .

If Brock would have hit him he would have been dead Roger is guy of Honor I have never seen him start a fight for no reason and somethimes people get jacked when they run their punk ass mouth recall that

dukeswith2fist

So many stupid posts. If you believe that Huerta was in the right, then you are correct. Texas law states that a citizen can use lethal or deadly force if they believe that an attacker is jeopardizing the life or welfare of themselves or others in the immediate area. Although self-defense is not justified in the case of verbal threats like in Georgia, the attacker was still present in the area of such a committed crime and still sought to verbally and physically threaten the welfare of others at such present time. Hence, clear and present danger with intent to deliver was still present, justifying the actions of any or all bystanders to take Martial Law into their own hands. Yes a civil suit could be filed, but we are talking about Texas judges here. This country has to many wanna be thug cowards and Huerta had every right to serve this tough guy a dose of Civic Texas Justice!

J 1975

@ 184 Q

Wow, you must have no women in your life but if you do NEXT time your mom, wife, sister, or daughter gets a beating EVERYONE in the street don't do anything and just call the COPS and wait a good few 5 to 10 mins till they show up so they can arrest the perpetrator (if he is still there just standing around) and then release him on bail. A good slap on the wrist. Wow you have no ball*!!

lahteedah

Wil, who posted at 11:32 AM on Aug 5, 2010, you're a douche! If you don't take MMA seriously it's probably because you would get your a$$ kicked by a 6 year old white belt just learning karate. Go Roger, way to stick up for the ladies! Oh yeah Wil, watch this video before you say that MMA isn't serious and these aren't amazing athletes, (I bet you couldn't do what he does at 1:02 once!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REbJXO9DnTI!

rilllist

That is weak ****! I would have pulled the guns out and let the bullets fly where they may haha. Guns and Bullets are always the answer in a club.

Shoot till the clip is empty then reach for your blade and start cuttin.

Silent Majority

As much as I applaud Roger for stepping in and handling the situation the way he did, he will probably end up getting sued in the end and charges pressed for excessive violence. That's the way of the world today. Some person who had no business doing what they did, ie. punching a person, let alone a women, from behind will now be glorified by the NAACP, or other similiar organization because Roger is a trained professional fighter and will now be punished for his actions in the public eye. I wish you luck, buddy.

TexasAggie

I am now a HUGE Roger Huerta fan.

Big bad drunk dude is gonna sucker punch a girl? He deserved everything he got.

Good for Roger. Not enought people stand up for what is right these days.

aj

STUPID ****** deserved it. Roger you the man!!!!

Ryan

Wow I cant believe some of these posts. "She deserved it" If you hit another man like that your a coward. This guy deserved far worse than prolly what he got. Typical black trash!

Shane

Wil,

If your logic be true, maybe homey shouldn't have been acting like a fighter. He put himself in the situation and got served.

Jonathan

The segregationists were right all along, weren't they? Now you know why your grandfathers thought the way they did.

Kurtis

Awesome! That racist punk ghetto thug got his ass whipped by a much smaller man and he totally deserved it.