Portia to Ellen: I Want to Be a DeGeneres!

8/9/2010 3:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned ... Portia de Rossi will become Portia DeGeneres.

Ellen DeGeneres Wife - Portia de Rossi Name Change

Portia has filed a petition to legally change her name to Portia Lee James DeGeneres.  She filed the papers in L.A. County Superior Court last Friday.

As for why ... the petition says, "Petitioner is taking the last name of her spouse."

Portia and Ellen DeGeneres were married in August, 2008.

Name change petitions are routinely granted.

Ellen and Portia

Sheila

And I want to be a Pattinson...

Bonnie Johnston

oh my God! reading some of these heterosexism comments only confirms that ignorance and pervert-ism still exists among the religious...

LSK

Ack! NO! Portia de Rossi is such a nice name. Portia DeGeneres is not so much. Ellen should change her name to Ellen de Rossi. Why, Portia, why? Just a political statement?

mickey

I know a transvestite that wants to marry a 4-year-old. Funny world we live in.

Mae

Congrats Ellen & Portia DeGeneres!

mickey

I pity the children who use them as role models.

Morgan Mayfaire

I think it's sweet and I'm happy for them. That's one thing we have been able to do in most states. Sadly legaly changing your name means nothing. She will always be known by her old name aka her new one. Which always makes it seem like an alias. Which brings it all back to lack of repect. Still... lets keep doing it! I love pissing off stupid people.

Donovan

Live and let live people. Bigger things to fear/be against than two people loving each other and wanting a commitment.
I think Portia is making a mistake though in changing her name. It was a cool name and it's who people know her as instead of just Mrs. Degeneres. Unless she was giving up her career completely, I think she should keep her name as is.

Trix

Portia is a beautiful woman.

Hope Wilkinson

I smell money!! I wonder - Rosie married some woman,"they" had a kid and she was adopted by Rosie. Rosie left and is with another. doesn't Rosie need a divorce? Isn't a marriage a marriage - regardless if they are gay? I wish these two a good life.

Q

Can we then move on please to the next group that has been discriminated against and held back, made to live in the alleyways and bathroom stalls of restops. you know what group this is, and I want to know if that group can count on the Gay Community to support them the way straight people have supported Gays.

Congratulations Portia, you'll be much better positioned to take Ellen for all she's worth if you make it legal. Ellen has been screwed over before, she's a very poor judge of charachter when she's in love with someone.

Gosh I'd wish she'd lose the young Wayne Gretzky look. Its an insult to real hockey players the world over. New Look soon, Ok Ellen?

Now fight for your rights for the Group that is due next to come outta the closet.

You will support it right? its anything goes now right?

tedandwanda

Those who are saying that this makes Ellen the guy/dude/man in the realtionship are really confused. Ugh there doesn't have to be a male in every relationship people.

E

I'm sure that I could have changed Portia. MIght not be too late. Look me up.

Kath

Good for them both. Love knows no gender and they look very happy!

RealityBites

Good for them! What I love most about Ellen is - when she "came out" she stayed the same person, she didn't turn into the typical "angry" gay person and I don't think of her as "Ellen the gay person" she's just Ellen, the really cool lady who treats people with respect (from what I hear, never met her)