Michael Jackson -- Resurrected by Cali Swag District

8/11/2010 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cali Swag District -- the rap group behind the mega-hit song "Teach Me How to Dougie" -- has recruited an ultra-special guest star to sing on their new single ... the one and only Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson Swag

CSD tells TMZ they went through all the proper steps to obtain clearance to sample MJ's 1972 hit "I Wanna Be Where You Are" ... for their new song, "Where You Are."

In fact, CSD is debuting the song right here on TMZ -- click here to check it out.

FYI -- Cali Swag District will be in the office for TMZ Live today at 1:30 PM PST ... so make sure to come back and check it out!

Della

You know the song MJ wrote was under the Motown label and Cali Swag District is signed to Capital Records. Universal owns Capital Records.

I mean Motown is now under Universal Music Group. They didn't have to get the OK of the Michael Jackson Trust. The song belongs to someone else. Or does anyone else know different?

Della

correction - MJ didn't write it - it was the song he sang - Wanna Be Where You Are.

mymjj5

I think the label owners are double and tripple $Dippin$ with their artists.

boss

people love to hate to even be able to do original mj material is amazing thats no sample these young boys are paying respects to the greatest, dam the lyrics look at the big picture. my hats off to them and the team that put it together csd mj for ever

Chico

Universal owns the Motown catalog masters, and EMI publishing owns the sync rights.

www.wired.com/underwire/2010/03/jackson-5-iphone-app/

Chico

Della,

I don't think the estate has the right to say whether J5 songs are used, but I could be wrong. I thought the estate held the rights to the Jacksons songs, MIJAC, and anything owned under the ATV. I am pretty sure J5 song rights do not fall into any of these categories.

G

Completely blown by this track! Speechlessly brilliant and smooth! Thanks TMZ!!!

mymjj5

thanks Della

I cannot remember when but i can remember mr. gordy selling motown years ago. I never followed who or where the company finally landed. I thought mr. gordy sold the catalog only. I could be wrong though.

Same thing with BET. It might say black entertainment, but i don't think blacks are the majority $hare holder$ or if they $hare or hold anything at all the network. Again i could be wrong.................hmmmmm

Em

It will be songs and artists like this that will keep Michael Jackson alive, fresh and never forgotten. I tip my hat to these young men, thank you.

moni

Well said, Em, that's how I feel, too.
Of course we like the original version better, but it's no doubt that the younger generations are more likely to get into Michael's music by songs like that which possibly – and hopefully – will land in today's charts.
I see it as a tribute – thumbs up!

moni

They All Should Have Big Red Lips.

Posted at 10:39 AM on Aug 11, 2010 by OhWell

So THAT'S what you're dreaming of??? Interesting...

MiMi

A...huh...

Okay, at the risk of sounding critical, I love rap but hate it when rap songs 'rip off' older, classics & use snipets of either the lyrics or the rhythm within the rap song. I know y'all know what I mean. It screams 'UNORIGINAL' to me & I just feel like if a rap artist has talent then they can certainly come up with a totally original song of their own. But hey, that's just 'me' so...there's that! lol!

Otherwise, as always I love hearing MJ's pure, clear, sweet voice in ANYTHING & if this song is meant to be an MJ 'tribute' piece then good for Cali Swag but if it's simply a cheap way to get their name out there(since I've never heard of them but that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot) then it's just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG:)

Posted at 7:23 AM on Aug 11, 2010 by janalal4

----------------------------------------------------------

Hey gurl

I admit that I agree with your sentiments. Don't like the idea of Mikey's voice being mixed in with the rap. Nothin against rap, but if this group really liked the song then why didn't they just do an updated cover of it?

I think I will just stick with the original....

Alie

i always loved that song....

Siggisiss

Michael´s vocals are BRILLIANT - no surprise there. But in my opinion the original song and the rap don´t work well together. They "clash", not well produced, not at all. SORRY, just my opinion!

Sym

pretty good song. his sample fits perfectly