Flight Attendants: Steven Slater Is Our Frickin' Hero!

8/10/2010 1:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Flight attendants from airlines everywhere are rallying around JetBlue's most famous employee Steven Slater -- praising him for fighting "flight attendant abuse" and even building him a shrine ... on Facebook.

Steve Slater Facebook
TMZ has learned someone created an FB fan page for Slater less than a day ago -- which already has more than 15,000 followers ... and continues to grow by the minute.

But the most interesting part is the comment section, which has been taken over by flight attendants across the country who wish they had the cojones to do what Slater did.

One user wrote, "We (flight attendants) secretly have thought about doing this.....you are my hero for taking a stand on flight attendant abuse!!!!"

And another -- "Kudos to you, I am a former flight attendant and only wish I had the nerve to do what you did!!!!!!" And yet another -- "As a former F/A, you made my fantasy come true--you just did what we have all thought about doing a thousand times! Good Luck to you! :)"

As we previously reported, Slater -- who told off a passenger on a JetBlue flight yesterday and then abandoned ship on the emergency chute -- is charged with two counts of reckless endangerment, two counts of criminal mischief and one count of criminal trespass. His bail is set at $2,500.

Simon

A deranged nut of a drama-queen steward who can't deal with what must be a routine incident is a hero?

No wonder flying has become such a pain, the flight crew are all prima-donnas unable to cope with minor incidents.

Any flight attendant who sees this idiot as a role model or hero is just as bad.

Mikey

Whats next, pilots parachuting out of planes in mid air with beers in the hands?

Doug

Without the customer you would not be working or have a job,I have always been tought the customer is always right. Quit your crying and do your job. Over paid not working to hard cry baby.

Joe Edo

Males should not be FLIGHT ATTENDANTS.

Why doesn't his Union bail him out?

Why doesn't his employer bail him out?

Why doesn't his MOMMA bail him out?

Why does it have to be the general public?

Who cares if he's in jail?

The Desolate One

The bad news is that Slater no longer has a job. With that said, it's not that easy to [morally] condemn him for what he did. People are rude idiots. If you have a job where you deal with ignorant, rude people all day every day, that means you're going to have at LEAST 1 or 2 altercations every DAY. http://bit.ly/aJocm2 The level of patience it takes to have to deal with those types of people without losing YOUR cool is astounding. I will admit, the way he chose to deal with the situation was quite unique, but I'll bet any amount of money that as he slid down that emergency chute with that beer in his hand, he breathed a sigh of relief that probably equal to an orgasm on a cathartic level.

ChiChi

Why are people blaming the flight attendant? That dumb bitch passenger should have stayed her ass in the seat. A plane can't taxi if people are in the aisle, but this selfish bitch didn't care that she was holding everyone else up so she could get her knockoff Louis Vuitton out of the overhead. Okay so opening the emergency slide was a bit much, but I would have happily told the woman to **** off over the intercom and let them fire me when we got to the gate. And by the way interfering with a flight crew is a crime, so why hasn't she been arrested yet?

Viviana Carballo

It had to happen. I was a flight attendat in the "glory days" of the early 60s - passengers didn't hit us over the head wirh luggage, they just patted our fannies -which is even more insulting - and all we could do was turn around say "no" and smile.

former Eatern Airlines stewardess (our denomination in those days)

kickaboo

Anymore, people are rude and brash to anyone, forget their manners, if they ever learned them at all. I hope someone did tape it, it will make both parties see the error of their ways. As for the know it all witnesses making the TV news morning circuit...wanting their 15 minutes..eh?
Good luck to Steven, hope the punishment isn't too much. As for the passenger-- learn some patience, manners and how to follow the rules, hope there is some sort of punishment for you like assault.

jinn

Mitt Romney has had airline passengers arrested for less. Mitt must be a ***.

Phacorah

I'm not sure why today wasn't the day for this guy. But on the other hand. What people fail to realize is that airline employees that interact with the passengers are threatened all day long. I think this was just the last straw in his book. I've worked for a major airline for 8 years and believe me at least once a week someone I work with is threatened by a passenger. It's rarely reported because the employee doesn't want to deal with it. If only once a year I could truely snap off on one, I'd be happy.

Daryl Warner

Give the guy a break for being human. If they absolutely have to jail someone, let it be the ******* passenger. Where can I send money for Steven's defense?

Ginger

I've worked with the public. Most were just fine to deal with but on occasion you got the moron who was just itching to cause trouble. I suspect Mr. Slater was just having a bad day and the passenger picked the wrong time to act up. He probably needs a talking to by his supervisor but I say leave it alone after that. However, it could also mean Mr. Slater has 'burned out' as a flight attendant and might need to find other employment. I did once and I did.

gigi

I went through Flight Attendant school in Dallas-Fort Worth for
American Airlines. I didn't make it. I quit half way through because of the crazy demands of the job. I've been an RN for 25 years and it is damanding as well, but the way some airlines treat the flight attendants is really bad. I don't know all the details but I tend to agree with Steve.

Anon E Mouse

This guy is awesome.
And he was probably right.
There are some people out there that think other people are slaves.

Sarah

Do flight attendents have a union? Why are they not helping him with a lawyer and his bail?