Flight Attendants: Steven Slater Is Our Frickin' Hero!

8/10/2010 1:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Flight attendants from airlines everywhere are rallying around JetBlue's most famous employee Steven Slater -- praising him for fighting "flight attendant abuse" and even building him a shrine ... on Facebook.

Steve Slater Facebook
TMZ has learned someone created an FB fan page for Slater less than a day ago -- which already has more than 15,000 followers ... and continues to grow by the minute.

But the most interesting part is the comment section, which has been taken over by flight attendants across the country who wish they had the cojones to do what Slater did.

One user wrote, "We (flight attendants) secretly have thought about doing this.....you are my hero for taking a stand on flight attendant abuse!!!!"

And another -- "Kudos to you, I am a former flight attendant and only wish I had the nerve to do what you did!!!!!!" And yet another -- "As a former F/A, you made my fantasy come true--you just did what we have all thought about doing a thousand times! Good Luck to you! :)"

As we previously reported, Slater -- who told off a passenger on a JetBlue flight yesterday and then abandoned ship on the emergency chute -- is charged with two counts of reckless endangerment, two counts of criminal mischief and one count of criminal trespass. His bail is set at $2,500.

gb1205

Would you be calling him a hero if a friend or relative were on the tarmac (controllers and baggage handlers) and were crushed/killed by the emergency chute dropping on their head? I'm sure chewing out the passenger felt good, but pulling the emergency chute was EXTREMELY DANGEROUS - and, as a flying waitress, he should have darn well known better!

So his bail is a whopping $2,500 and he can't come up with the $250 cash bail? Geez!

Bob Goodden

A great big David Allan Coe / Johnny Paycheck one finger salute. Don't even try to stand in my way cuz I'm a walkin out that door... TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT... I ain't work'in here no mo.

suesch1950

I have been married for 39 years and am a grandparent. Gay or not, what has that got to do with this story? Also, he may not be a celebrity in the real sense of the word, but neither are Tiger's mistresses, for just 15-20 examples.

anony

WHAT is the name of the passenger?
TMZ, why haven't you gotten this yet?
WHY hasn't she been charged?

chicky

I saw a post on another article about this that said the woman who fought with the flight attendant was Congresswoman SHEILA JACKSON LEE of Texas. Can anyone verify that?

Steelerchick

ha ha ha!!! Me loves it!!!
Too funny

T

Sorry please help me understand this. He hated his job, but kept working his job even though he was not happy.....if this guy had real cojones, why not quit your job and get another one.

There is nothing I can't stand than a person doing a job they hate and projecting that misery on the people he is supposed to be servicing. Paying customers who expect to be provided service. Sorry but people are not paying to fly an airline, so they can kiss the but of a stewardess.

I think that Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines have it right. They hire mainly women, and force retirement at 30 or when the attendent gets fat or pregnant which ever comes first.

I hate to be sexist, but if I am paying 8k usd for a business class ticket from LAX to Hong Kong, I don't want a frustrated mid thirties gay man, giving me his attitude for 12 hours. Get another job people.

Einstein says the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and and over again the same way and expecting a different result.

Kimberly

SHE, likely some self-rightous, totally entitled, spoiled brat, CAUSED (initiator) the entire set of events. Where are the charges holding her accountable. The ONLY one putting peoples "lives" in danger (oh please it was a shoot unfolding not a missle launch) was the initiator of ALL that followed. Yes, the shoot "could have..." I love when there really is no argrument, how all the "could haves" get brought in to it. The facts of the case, not hypotheticals are all that should be considered, EVER!! Based on the facts, she started it, she should be charged. Done. and good for him, its about time. I would have shoved her ass onto the shoot.

Murf

Sheen gets off with a knife to his wife's throat and these prosecutors go after this guy. I think we should all rally around this guy. Is Gibson arrested yet? Give me a break.

TD

Any passenger who acted like Harvey Levin, would do jail time. He should too.

Tracie Terry

I do not think he is a hero. I have been on lots of planes that the flight attendant was rude, difficult & offensive to to other people on the plane. This is not the only profession that has to deal with the public. I suspect this was not the first time he lost his composure with someone. They are well paid to do their job. The people everyone should feel bad for are the innocent bystanders on the plane that had to wait because of all this.

Doodle

I agree with #14...the passenger should be charged with assault. Did you see the welt on Steven's head as he was arrested??? That was SOME hit he took. Maybe he can use the head injury as a defense for his actions. I hope he comes up with the bail soon.....I fly over 100K miles a year and this guy is my hero!!!!!

DJ

Kudo's to Steven. I am all about being nice and I absolutely hate those that don't have simple manners. "Please, Thank you, Have a good day, Enjoy your afternoon,", you know, the BASICS. At the very least this passenger should have said "oops, sorry" and sat his/her butt down. Now, on the other side of the coin, I had a flight attendant approach me with a mask and in front of God and everybody suggest that I wear it as I had just a tickle in my throat from allergies. No hacking, no continuous coughing. Talk about embarrassing, I wanted to put that thing on her face, pull it back and release it. Instead I gently suggested she offer it to the elderly man across the aisle and one row back who was about to shoot out his dentures with his wet,continuous hacking. She just went and sat down at that point. So niceties work both ways.

april

the guy is a loser and attention whore. if a passenger had done this they would have shot him and called him a terrorist.

CD

This guys shouldn't be in jail!!! specially when we have crack junkies driving drunk on the streets!! like Lilo!