Fantasia May Be Sued for 'Stealing Husband'

8/12/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Fantasia Barrino is preparing for a possible legal war with the scorned wife of her married lover ... because Fantasia's attorney tells us under North Carolina's "archaic" domestic laws, "women can sue women for stealing husbands."

Fantasia Barrino Affair With Married Man

As we previously reported, the "American Idol" champ had been in a relationship with a man named Antwaun Cook -- who is still married to Paula Cook. Paula recently filed for divorce ... and in the legal papers, cited an "adulterous affair" between Fantasia and Antwaun.

Cook has not taken any legal action against Fantasia yet -- but Barrino's lawyer, Gena Graham Morris, tells us it very well COULD happen ... because in NC there are certain "heartbalm torts ... where a wife can sue a third party for having a relationship with her husband" -- it's called alienation of affection.

Morris adds, "The heartbalm torts arise out of the notion that women were once property that could be stolen like televisions. It is a comical irony that in 2010 women can sue women for stealing husbands."

Morris says she "hopes" Paula Cook will choose not to sue -- but in case she does, Morris vows to "vigorously defend" Fantasia.

koko

No. 48 comment, Darlene, I totally agree with you! She is a skank and didn't care at all that she was destroying a marriage and hurting another woman! I hope she gets sued because the more women sue for being cheated on, the less that it will happen. It so very destructive to the family, the relationship, the self esteem and the well being of a family over all. SUE HER, PLEASE DO SUE HER!

DD

I feel sorry for Paula Cook and her children, but I think her bitterness is misplaced and could cost her even nore in the end. I hope she's has sought wise counsel and that people aren't just pushing her up and taking advantage of her anger. Her husband may be more of a jerk than she knows and this will be hurtful to her children. I suspect that Antwaun Cook has cheated on her with more than Fantasia. How many women will Fantasia drag into court saying they too were involved with Antwaun Cook. Are there photographs of Mrs. Cook on dates with other men. Oooops! People everywhere are saying Cook was egged on to pursue the desperately homely and lonely Fantasia. If Antwaun Cook did anything at all that suggests he was setting up Fantasia, his wife's case will be blown out of the water but the assumption will be made that she was part of the sham. In fact, one person who claims he or she knows the situation first hand said that Fantasia already has the evidence Antwaun Cook was setting her Fantasia but didn't want to believe it. If Paula Cook loses this case she will be left holding the bag. Who will pay her attorney fees? I don't think she's getting good advice. In fact, somebody better hope Fantasia doesn't sue the Cooks for extortion. Tell me the release this week wasn't about if you don't give us money we'll release pictures of you...I think was Fantasia did was wrong and stupid and she's getting what's coming to her, but I learned a long time ago, the love of money is the root of all evil.

matilda

THIS IS BULLS@#T!!!!!! WHY DOESN'T SHE SUE HER OWN HUSBAND????? HE'S MARRIED, CHOSE TO CHEAT, BUT ISN'T HELD ACCOUNTABLE ON ANY LEVEL...YET THE WOMAN HE IS CHEATING WITH CAN BE SUED???????? WTF????????? I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS "HOMEWRECKER" BS...NOTICE HOW MEN ARE NEVER REFERRED TO AS HOMEWRECKERS. WAKE UP IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!

Sonja

Hahaha .. love the law, hey all the other 'commandments' have been written into law why not 'thou shalt not commit adultery' !! Where are all the bible thumpers?? Oh yeah hopping this law doesn't catch on, LOL

whatda

People who have a problem with Paula Cook suing Fantasia probably have no problem with dating married men themselves or are doing so right now, Or, they so idolize Fantasia that they feel she can do no wrong, or, they feel it is always the wife's fault when a husband cheats because they have no common sense to think otherwise. Ladies, if you fall in any of these categories, you need serious help with your self esteem. Don't become another Fantasia, check yourselves before you wreck yourselves.

small asian penis

This may be the stupidest article ever written. Fantasia's lawyer is saying she could be sued and she hasn't been. What kind of lawyer goes around to media outlets saying "technically we are liable to get sued, even though we haven't". What is the point of confessing? PR? This is so dumb.

whatda

For those of you who think the husband is not being blamed, read the divorce petition. The wife is going after full custody of the children, child support and allimony. Looks like she is being blamed to me by going after everything she can under the law.

kali

I think everyone should have the option to sue the 'other person'! Maybe it would stop these homewrecking witches!

Get some morals people!

ltlata2de

I think she has a right to sue Fantasia-shouldnt Fantasia be a bit more careful with her dating choices? If I was in the spotlight and public eye I would be having a background check on a guy I met in a cell phone store-HELLO???
For someone with such a great voice and ability she doesnt think much.

abby

This is a big distraction from the bottle of aspirin she swallowed yesterday. It's from her lawyer, not Cooks! HELLO!!!

LORRAINE

Wow, so many haters!! How do we know that Fantascia wasn't set up by Mr. Cook. People make mistakes and everyone of you bloggers know that you aren't perfect...lol I believe he lied to her. He met her at a T mobile store....lol Can you say GOLD DIGGER!

Wendy

comment to 51. I agree, but it would be that way because the marriage rates would be low as well. I think men would either not get married OR have a pre-nup clause saying that the wife can't hold the 3rd party responssible if the marriage falls apart due to infidelity.

Posted at 12:05 PM on Aug 12, 2010 by Tammy

NO one I know has a pre-nup. That is a rich man's tool. Men who cannot be faithful should NOT become married, same with woman.

from 45.

actionjackson

shoulda used private bryan!

ShaeGates

FURTHERMORE.....whose to say that HUBBY and GOLD DIGGING WIFE DIDN'T COME UP WITH THIS GET RICH QUICK SCANDAL?! If it's a law in North Carolina then what better way to play Fantasia?! Right? Lie to her say he is seperated and done with wife..go on vacations..take pics videos whatever the case may be to prove their relationship all in hoping and knowing that a year later they plan to sue Fantasia and try and get rich quick. Then reconcile in the public so everyone will feel so sorry for them and happy they got rid of the monster Fantasia while they live happily ever after off her money! LMAO All you people are bashing Fantasia when you should be discussing the cheating HUSBAND..(I have a feeling he is like Tiger many many many skeletons in that closet...just that Fantasia is the only wealthy one!) In the end we will see...if the man and woman remain together.

LORRAINE