« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tim Tebow ... and the Hyperbaric Chamber of Secrets

8/12/2010 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

NFL rookie Tim Tebow just had a hyperbaric oxygen chamber delivered to his hotel room at Denver Broncos training camp ... but TMZ has learned he's been using the device for more than two years.

0812_tebow_twitpic_EXD

The device -- which is said to "greatly accelerate the recovery process" -- was purchased by Tim in 2008 for just under $20,000 ... this according to Ric Rooney, owner of Pikes Peak Hyperbaric.

According to Ric, Tebow had the device shipped from his home in Florida to training camp -- but couldn't set it up ... so PPH sent a rep to Broncos camp to help Tim out.

Rooney tells us Tebow has been getting "banged up" at practice ... and Tim felt the chamber could help him heal quicker. We're told Tim has a routine where he sits in the chamber for 60-90 minutes after every practice.

We're told hyperbaric chambers are big in the NFL right now -- with stars like T.O. and Hines Ward using them routinely.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Summer

JJ,

tonyajayne

both of them are hot

Sean

Melinda

I guess Michael Jackson wasn't so Wacko after all.

JJ

"JJ,
It is not newsworthy except that this was his personal chamber and since his parents are not wealthy where did the 20,000.00 come from. Since there are suppose to be strict rules in college sports people are curious."

Anthony Gonzalez's hyperbaric chamber was his personal chamber too. Here's an article from 2006 if you want to read for yourself: http://www.dispatch.com/live/contentbe/dispatch/2006/09/13/20060...913-B10-00.html

Who says his parents are not wealthy? They are missionaries...he was homeschooled growing up. They likely have never had paying jobs but have family wealth that has been passed down to them. Hence, the comfortable living and upbringing their son received.

Dana

#22 - Missionaries...not preachers. Since when do people think he comes from a super rich family. He only played football at Nease because he was a homeschool recruit. He didn't actually live in Ponte Vedra.

mary

it also helps with autism

Rocco

Many American Pro Atheletes in contact sports use the portable chambers. Also, incorrectly setting up the chamber can be deadly!! No, his parents aren't poor, but I'm not sure they're - lets drop $20,000 on a chamber - rich; unless they financed it! The NCAA should look into it. While it may not be illegal, it could break NCAA rules: ex - someone (blesses)"gives an offering to his parents" - if a connection can be made from the benefactor to Tim's chamber in amount or affiliation with the hyerbaric chamber company, then there's a credible conflict!

Cricket

What is killing me is that everyone assumes he is on the dole because he may or may not have purchased this chamber! He absolutely could have financed it just like people finance a car. You get a loan and make payments. Simple as that.

As far as I am aware, these chambers are working miracles on people but because MJ had one back in the day they are associated with him in a strange way. If they work and help people then why are you cutting them down? Granted the man was eccentric but that is not the point. Do some research on them and you will see how very promising they really are proving to be.

As Sean said, "HBOT - Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has a wide range of benefits. Some indications include autism, traumatic brain injury, wound care/healing, post traumatic stress, divers with the bends, and currently cancer research, the list goes on and on. get the facts people!..."

Amazed

I'm totally amazed at this TMZ web site. Why do people thrive from this gossip. I recently got out of the military due to a injury and I am also using HBOT to help with spinal and nerve damage.
If you haven't noticed, Tebow has been marketable for years and is not a loan risk. He also has a multi-million dollar contract. I think he can afford a device which more than likley is a business expense.
Good for you Tim and all others using HBOT. I hope it raises awareness for the good that it does.

RollTideRoll

Wonder if he cried to the people to get them to hook it up for him....Can't use to the air like everyone else? What a tittybaby!!!!

Amazed

I was injured while in the military. I use the hyperbaric therapy for my injuries and it helps. I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of this. A slow news week I guess.
About 160... NFL athletes also use these chambers. I also take vitamins and try to eat right.
Hopefully these chambers will be used more often for injuried soldiers and autistic children.
Give Tebow a break. I'm even more of a fan knowing that we both are on the cutting edge of healing... mentally and physically.

MG

Okay, look at the source of the info, first of all... TMZ...laughable, yet we still read it. it's entertainment to be taken with a grain of salt... I am here too... Hyperbaric, is credible for so many things! healing quicker after surgery, autism, sleep problems...so imagine the issues it could help with...

seriously, it's a non-harmful way of healing! of course we don't know much about it...lol

frankly i am happy tim tebow could sread the word, i just wish they could have gotten his facts straight for him...

Thank you TIM!

Sean

Now were talking! I like where this thread is going. HBOT is 100% oxygen treatment under pressure. I publish a quarterly magazine called Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine Magazine - hyperbaricmagazine.com - We have a research foundation that funds patients using this as alternative or last resort options. Bring awareness! This is cutting edge and the future.

I only wish this treatment was an option or recommended in 2005 when my father was diagnosed with Lymphoma. I was fortunate enough to learn about hyperbarics from close NAVY divers and I was convinced. This is now my calling.

Good for Tebow and other athletes using chambers. Trust me, it won't be long before every professional team has one in their locker rooms...

alexa

Let's think back 25 years ago, when Michael Jackson was in the news about this same exact thing. He was weird!! But these athletes aren't.

Gotta love the media.....

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments