American Airlines: Don't Even Think About It

8/13/2010 12:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

American Airlines isn't taking any chances of a repeat of the whole, "Hit-me-in-the-head-and-I'll-grab-a-beer-and-activate-the-slide" incident.

American Airlines Announcement

Before taking off yesterday, the pilot on Flight 345 from New York to Chicago got on the intercom and told passengers, "Flight attendants take great pride in their work. Please respect the job that they do. They are here for your safety first and service second."

Then, in a clear reference to the Steve Slater/JetBlue incident, the pilot said, "If they need you to stay put or need your assistance, please obey their orders.  When they ask you to sit down, you will sit down."

A bunch of passengers started snickering. They got the joke.

becky

I agree with comment 13... put cameras on board airplanes they have them on school buses now. Safety first, it might even had be beneficial for terrorist plots.

I'm sure the camera would have shown how unprofessional the and rude the guy was right off the start... and slamming doors and rolling his eyes at the passengers... I'm sure they all can't be fibbing about the whole flight... it would have shown that cut on his head also as he started his shift.

cindy

That's funny

sharon

Petulent fairies need not apply.

Posted at 9:30 AM on Aug 13, 2010 by Ken

**************************************************

LOL...

Darren

Safety first? Let's not forget AA killed 7 dogs last week. I highly doubt they are concerned about safety. The pilot was an a** to make that announcement. Airline personal are just as rude as passengers can be.

Cyndee

If American Airlines is going to make it a practice of assuming all their passengers are the worst people in the skies, I guess I must fly another airline as I do not fit into that category. If the pilots are going to close the doors and then indicate to passengers that any they do not trust any of the passengers to behave as descent human beings during the flight, they are going to alienate the 99.9% of the decent people who must travel. If the pilots know that some of the passengers plan to misbehave during the flight, they should not be allowed to board the flight or should be asked to leave the flight before the doors close - that would be the best way to have a safe and secure flight. In any event, I have flown my last American Airlines flight as I do not deserve to the threatened after paying for a flight on that airline in good faith.

dee

The days of flight attendants being glorified waitresses is long gone. They are now responsible for your lives. Serving "coffee, tea or milk" is secondary if served at all.

Cyndee

Milly

I agree with #11. I've seen more rudeness from flight attendants than passengers. I stopped flying United 10 years ago due to a flight attendant being so rude to a passenger. The women asked very nicely for something and this gal went off on her.

The AA Captain should never have assumed that the passengers on his flight were idiots and unruly.

woodman

None of us should be using American Airlines anyway, unless its impossible not to use them. These people have no respect for anybody. Let American Airlines DIE!

FrequentFlyer

I've flown my share of miles over the past years, and have been witness to SEVERAL passenger rage rants against flight attendants. They HAVE to get their laptop, their PDA, Blackberry whatever when the flight instructions clearly state NOT TO. They HAVE TO HAVE a whole fifth of vodka do you know who they are?
And so forth....

Unfortunately, no actions were ever taken with these folks because they were sitting in first class.
I do not condone what the JetBlue attendant did, but understand his frustration. As far as the AA pilot - I AGREE. Just because you are flying in first or not does not give anyone the right to be rude to a flight attendant. And flight attendants don't have the right to be rude either. Don't blame the flight attendants or pilots for your bad day... and don't blame the passengers either. Life is WAYYYY TOOO SHORT for the raging madness!!!

FrequentFlyer

To comment #21 -- give me a break - the pilot was merely responding to the overblown press received by the Jet Blue attendant. Trust me - one airfare will NOT BREAK American Airlines!

FrequentFlyer

All - keep in mind AA and all airline personnel are overworked and underpaid like the rest of us, and only want to maintain the safety of the passengers. If you can't take it - don't fly.

Nobody

Because of this press and the pilot's attitude, 11 coworkers and I are going to fly with United on our International trip this and next week. Based on my refundable ticket fee, I am guessing this will cost AA about $117k.

frenchblue

American Airlines and the crews who work those flights don't take any crap. Got a complaint, they will tell you to get off. If flight is underway, too bad, deal with it. Public transportation. They are not going to tolerate any nonsense. They have a plane to fly and schedule to keep.

frenchblue

American Airlines and their crews don't take any crap. Deal with it or take another flight. The End.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments