Mel Gibson in

Car Crash

8/16/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson acclimated back into L.A. life by getting into a car accident yesterday ... this according to law enforcement sources.

0709-mel-gibson-ex-getty-01
Sources tell TMZ it happened at 8:35 PM in Malibu.  Gibson, we're told, lost control of his car and ended up striking the rocky hillside on Malibu Canyon Road.

Gibson was driving a 2008 Maserati, which had to be towed from the scene.

Hours before the crash -- photogs shot footage of Gibson driving the Maserati around Malibu (see video above).

According to the CHP report, obtained by TMZ, "For unknown reasons, Mr. Gibson steered his car to the right and struck the rock hillside.  He stopped his car at the scene and was contacted by officers from the West Valley CHP Area."

CHP Public Information Officer Leland Tang tells TMZ ... "Gibson told officers in the field he did not know how the car drifted out of the lane and into the hillside."  Tang said his officers followed up by asking Gibson if he was on a cell phone and he said no.  Tang adds officers also asked Gibson if he had dozed off "but he did not give a firm 'yes' or 'no'."  Gibson just repeated several times, "I don't know how the car left the roadway."

The report goes on, "Mr. Gibson supplied all the pertinent information to the officers at the scene, gave a statement, and received a ride home from a friend."

Gibson was not hurt.

According to the report, "DUI is not suspected in the accident."

UPDATE:  As for the curious statement in the report ... "For unknown reasons, Mr. Gibson steered his car to the right and struck the rock hillside." Tang tells TMZ his department was in no way trying to insinuate Gibson did it intentionally. Tang says, "It was totally an unintentional act."  And Tang says no citation was issued and no charges will be filed.

0816_crash_footer

Genna

{{Joining in applause for Tara!}}

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Curious,

no it didn't Maria just missed it somehow. I posted in that thread to here and some one else did too. It was there.

When she posted that I went to Malibu Surfrider and there it was, same spot. Watched it all that evening. It was still there last night at dusk. But can't see it yet this morning...I'll keep watching.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Squeaky,

200 years?? It's here, it's now! Look at the moronic TV "Ow my ball' shows! It's happenin' dude/dudette. Right now! lol!

Shell

the dingy was there this morning before the fog moved in. unless it ws not an updated pic. ? who knows....

Sam

Karma is a biatch in heat!

chris

Enough already with the list of men The OX has slept with. It's TOO LONG TO READ, can someone post the short list - that being those she HASNT slept with? Reading that much makes me sleepy!

Tara

re the babysitter mentioned in the tapes, Mel was paying for her services (assuming this is the same woman who passed away, but is it?).

In the tapes, he told OG he he did not want the woman to work at her house, that she was only to work at his house and he would fire the woman if she went to work at the house where OG was living. OG said she would pay her herself then because she needed her help, which is when Mel threatened to report the woman to immigration if she went to work at OG's home.

Not long after that tape was released in the media, there was a story about Mel being reported to the gov service that checks into people who employ illegal immigrants. Sigh.

Curious

Likewise appreciating Tara!

Sam_

Ah, my bad then. I'm sorry I missed your post.

LOL, keeping up can be difficult.

fuddyduddy

Hey Fuddy, I recall that politician situation now that you mentioned it. Thanks for hittin' me back so quickly.

Posted at 11:01 AM on Aug 16, 2010 by chris

Hi there, Chris! I'm glad you remember that case, as well. I didn't think I was losing it. I sure am glad you are here with us. You sound like a delightful person! Truly--good sense of humor, and you add some great conversation.

Curious

Posted at 11:07 AM on Aug 16, 2010 by chris
--------------------------------------------------

LOL! Hiya Chris!

Anon

chris, as I said on the other thread, it's sad that you would decide to now start attacking Oksana and defending Mel but good luck with that. He attacked every category he could on those calls. You said you are gay. Do you think he would be your friend? It's like you don't support diversity unless it applies to you. Pretty sad.

koko

@ anon, No 6: "He probably realized that the public will now know that the babysitter that died of cancer was the one he called a "wetback" and threatened to report."

Look Mr/Ms. Anon, it is a bad and racial term, and unacceptable, but Mr Gibson did not say to a Mexican and he never expected his angry words against hie evil Russian lover to be out in public.
Regardless, the Mexicans are not mad at him for a reason. I went to Mexico and stayed at the hotel where Mel Gibson stayed during the filming of Apocolipto love Mel. He created tons of jobs for Mexicans, hired real Mexicans to do his movie. He is the ONLY big Hollywood director that has dared to put Mexicans as central characters in his films! While his theories about the Aztecs and Mayans are not really accurate, he has done a more decent job than EVERY other liberal filmmaker who only imagines Mexicans as drug dealers and criminals. He portrayed their nobility and beauty. Mr. Gibson is beloved by Mexicans.
Plus consider this, the babysitter HERSELF didn't complain about Mel and neither have any of the Mexicans working for him.

It is rather unethical and distasteful to put words in the mouth of a dead woman, one who may or may not have spoken English and who despite being under Mr. Gibson's employ never made ANY accusations against Mr. Gibson. But, that is this evil Oksana whose claim she wants to protect her child are totally baseless based on observable evidence such as this episode. How interesting, ["Judge the dead Mexican who never complained about Mr. Gibson witnessed me getting hit"]. BS, I don't believe if for a second.

He should NOT ever have used the term, but he didn't use it against the lady or any Mexican, but his evil, manipulative Russian bride. So, shut up if you don't know the relationship of Mr. Gibson with the Mexican community. They love him! And, from I heard from real Mexicans in Mexico, they await for him with open arms and believe Mr. Gibson's love for Mexico and its people is real.

Squeaky Shoes

dudette :)

and yeah... but you have to admit, we don't have self-serve hospitals...yet! and if it were *that* easy to get out of prison... i wouldn't want to be here.

asn for all this "hired killing" crap... wtf??? that wasn't even on the table. the poor girl died of cancer!

though i have to admit, i wouldnt be sad to see toxana go

Tellthetruth59

Shell, it's nice that you like to travel along in Oksana's underwear but while you're at it, have you considered how many people Mel has slept with? While married?! Hmmm?

By my count, in twenty years you've listed eleven men. My guess would be that Mel's would eclipse that by a large margin. Again, while married.

Posted at 10:14 AM on Aug 16, 2010 by Anon
------------------------------------------------------------

You are allowed to "guess" how many women Mel has been with but you ridicule those that guess about issues related to you? I mean Oksana?

If those tapes are to be believed Mel had the number of men Oksana has been with at 45. I would assume you... I mean she lied to him and the number is about triple that.

chris

Posted at 11:07 AM on Aug 16, 2010 by chris
--------------------------------------------------

LOL! Hiya Chris!

Posted at 11:10 AM on Aug 16, 2010 by Curious
--------------------------------------------------
I mean seriously, WAR AND PEACE is a shorter easier read!

- HEY Fuddy, thanks for welcoming me over....slowly but surely i'm comin around! But will remain cautiously optimistic...