Mel Gibson in

Car Crash

8/16/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson acclimated back into L.A. life by getting into a car accident yesterday ... this according to law enforcement sources.

0709-mel-gibson-ex-getty-01
Sources tell TMZ it happened at 8:35 PM in Malibu.  Gibson, we're told, lost control of his car and ended up striking the rocky hillside on Malibu Canyon Road.

Gibson was driving a 2008 Maserati, which had to be towed from the scene.

Hours before the crash -- photogs shot footage of Gibson driving the Maserati around Malibu (see video above).

According to the CHP report, obtained by TMZ, "For unknown reasons, Mr. Gibson steered his car to the right and struck the rock hillside.  He stopped his car at the scene and was contacted by officers from the West Valley CHP Area."

CHP Public Information Officer Leland Tang tells TMZ ... "Gibson told officers in the field he did not know how the car drifted out of the lane and into the hillside."  Tang said his officers followed up by asking Gibson if he was on a cell phone and he said no.  Tang adds officers also asked Gibson if he had dozed off "but he did not give a firm 'yes' or 'no'."  Gibson just repeated several times, "I don't know how the car left the roadway."

The report goes on, "Mr. Gibson supplied all the pertinent information to the officers at the scene, gave a statement, and received a ride home from a friend."

Gibson was not hurt.

According to the report, "DUI is not suspected in the accident."

UPDATE:  As for the curious statement in the report ... "For unknown reasons, Mr. Gibson steered his car to the right and struck the rock hillside." Tang tells TMZ his department was in no way trying to insinuate Gibson did it intentionally. Tang says, "It was totally an unintentional act."  And Tang says no citation was issued and no charges will be filed.

0816_crash_footer

Jacqueline13

This soap opera is getting better. Our kind of better!

wondering

hahah i was but i could see her throwing a outright meltdown tantrum over the car hahahah

wondering

because i could logically accept him crashing the car just to piss her off over him just suddenly losing control of it ..i mean we are talking about the " road warrior" hahahah

Jacqueline13

jeez...even a bad mother would be concerned about custody.

fuddyduddy

J13...yes it is, piece by piece.

wondering...oh, that is funny! I bet she was fuming!

Let's hope that TMZ posts pictures of moving vans at Sherman Oaks!

Mel could still put her in a house...maybe one that is not so expensive. Maybe one in a neighborhood with regular folk! Don't you know that would piss her off, too!

fuddyduddy

wondering...MAD MEL the road warrior! That was good! I surprised the newspapers haven't used that headline.

Jacqueline13

She may come unglued publicly, which would be quite ironic.

lee

Hi Wondering, shell, and rest!
Just got in after a long day, wowee, guess I missed all the contempt and blatant oozing hatred from Anon, Somnolc, ho and all the other despicable posters....DO NOT ENGAGE THEM!!
THERE IS NO DEBATE, JUST VILE ATTACKS...

so....I used to live off Malibu Canyon, and at least one accident per day occured, not major, but every day practically.....

Jacqueline13

you know, I'm sure her own "friends" are turning on her now.
If they go public: nice.

Jacqueline13

Welcome to "friendlyville" Lee!

fuddyduddy

Lee...hi there! I need to remember your wise words about not engaging.

You know, Anon seemed to come around a little...just a little, right everyone?

lee

oopsie, and my bud Jacqueline, and you too fuddy...

fuddyduddy

I have a yorkie dog (two of them), one of them farts like a man! I swear I am going to fall off of my chair!!! I need a gas mask!

Jacqueline13

I noticed that myself. People will finally get fed up with this "broad" and dump her for Mel's Team. She's a freak!

Jacqueline13

Fuddy...that is so funny. Aren't they small dogs too?

Previous 15 Comments | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments