Mel Gibson in

Car Crash

8/16/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson acclimated back into L.A. life by getting into a car accident yesterday ... this according to law enforcement sources.

0709-mel-gibson-ex-getty-01
Sources tell TMZ it happened at 8:35 PM in Malibu.  Gibson, we're told, lost control of his car and ended up striking the rocky hillside on Malibu Canyon Road.

Gibson was driving a 2008 Maserati, which had to be towed from the scene.

Hours before the crash -- photogs shot footage of Gibson driving the Maserati around Malibu (see video above).

According to the CHP report, obtained by TMZ, "For unknown reasons, Mr. Gibson steered his car to the right and struck the rock hillside.  He stopped his car at the scene and was contacted by officers from the West Valley CHP Area."

CHP Public Information Officer Leland Tang tells TMZ ... "Gibson told officers in the field he did not know how the car drifted out of the lane and into the hillside."  Tang said his officers followed up by asking Gibson if he was on a cell phone and he said no.  Tang adds officers also asked Gibson if he had dozed off "but he did not give a firm 'yes' or 'no'."  Gibson just repeated several times, "I don't know how the car left the roadway."

The report goes on, "Mr. Gibson supplied all the pertinent information to the officers at the scene, gave a statement, and received a ride home from a friend."

Gibson was not hurt.

According to the report, "DUI is not suspected in the accident."

UPDATE:  As for the curious statement in the report ... "For unknown reasons, Mr. Gibson steered his car to the right and struck the rock hillside." Tang tells TMZ his department was in no way trying to insinuate Gibson did it intentionally. Tang says, "It was totally an unintentional act."  And Tang says no citation was issued and no charges will be filed.

0816_crash_footer

Tara

How exhausted is the poor man with everything going on? Falling asleep at the wheel is currently a hypothesized explanation for his accident. I really hope he is going to be okay. It is so hard to be the target of such hatred by many in the public and of betrayal by a former lover, not to mention the police investigations.

chris

I'm starting to worry that Mr. Gibson has Alzheimer's. Don't laugh, I'm serious. It's really creepy the way he just keeps going crazier and crazier and doesn't seem to know or understand that he is going crazier. Happened to a landlord of mine. Evicted an entire building of people for no reason, but to him it made sense.

Posted at 10:49 AM on Aug 16, 2010 by Personage
-------------------------------------------------------
It is possible. Years of heavy drinking can/will impact the gray matter.

My grandfather was an alcoholic and later in life he got Alzheimers so there very well could be a direct corrolation. I cant say for sure as I'm not a Doctor (but I did play one as a child!)

Genna

Hi Curious; lisa; fuddy; (everyone)

Good heavens...I hope Mr. Gibson is okay. Sheesh...when it rains, it pours for Mel.

LISA

The babysitter that died of cancer was dying for the past few weeks.
That's how cancer works.

Knowing this Oksana saw an opportunity
to place yet another supposed witness about Mel acting 'crazy' and yelling.

Unlike the dentist, she would not live to testify and tell us what really
happened. Oksana knew this and used the opportunity to further her
smear campaign towards Mel.

Can anyone actually believe Oksana was not aware of the dying babysitter?
Impossible.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Repeat it evey ew pages, Lisa. Maybe the group will stay on point, not get baited in.

I've been trying to see if the dinghy s still off the coast, but it's still so foggy I can't see anything. Maybe the fog played a factor in the accident.

I grew up in So Cal. I can remember mornings walking to school when the fog was so bad I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I'd have to find sign posts and try to read them to make sure I was on the right streets!

Makes one wonder WHY IS the dinghy there--not a pretty sight, not particularly nice weather--and they've been there for a week so far...? Weird.

alia

too sad...hope it wasn't a suicide attempt....hope he gets his life together...things aren't going too well for Mel these days.....even though you have majorly screwed up "again"....God Bless You Mel !

Atillathegun

Poor poor Poxy. Now it seems that the babysitter has died. My condolences to the family but it seems as if Nature is not on the side of the fake money grubbing round faced russian whore.
What a piece of work! Just about to be blown away by the wind of justice ,she brings up a dying woman. Seems like she knew the woman was in the last stages and we hear nothing about this woman from the get go, but only now when all of her other trump cards have crumbled. Now she plays this one which goes to show how poisonous she really is.
Now Retards On Line can go interview the sources of the woman. Time for another round of she said, she knew, but she kept her mouth shut because ????????..........
As for the dipstick who is crying that Gibson is being supported by a bunch of idiots, nice try fool but it is more likely that some of us have had to deal with a creature like the Pox. Won't work ,used you like a rag and then try to discard your bones whilst trying to flee with your coin undeservedly.Yes, a child or children are involved. So you see we know the type of beast since we have dealt with it. She fools no one but people who want to look at her with rose tinted glasses.
One must never be affectionate with whores and to fall in love with them is the worst mistake of all.You F them ,pay them and then open the door. Let them trap up the other guy.

Atillathegun

Hahaha, the cops knew he was on the phone but once they have no proof or you don't admit it they really can't do anything. Careful there Mel, we need more movies like PAYBACK and we certainly don't want the Russian rat getting any hope of escaping out of her own trap.
I bet she will call to find out how he is or at least bring it up when she gets a chance to speak to him? One must always be careful of the women that knows one's heart.When that love turns to hate, the intensity is just as painful as it was sweet.

Shell

Just a question - if Mel was employing an illegal immigrant, could he face charges?

Chris...I gather from the tapes and his conversation with OG, that SHE was the one employing the illegal babysitter. If that's the case, then I am sure that OG will be under fire for that. Years ago, there was a case of a politician employing illegals to work at his house. I cannot remember that person's name, and it's been quite a while back, but it cost this politician his career. That is a big NO-NO. I bet OG is wishing right about now that she would have cut that part out in the editing process!

Posted at 10:55 AM on Aug 16, 2010 by fuddyduddy
=========================================================

true. oxy said she hired the nanny/babysitter. The nanny/babysitter formerly worked for the dentist.

chris

Posted at 10:55 AM on Aug 16, 2010 by fuddyduddy
-------------------------------------------------------
Hey Fuddy, I recall that politician situation now that you mentioned it. Thanks for hittin' me back so quickly.

Curious

Howdy Genna!

Mr' Mel is ok, not so sure about the car. He got a ride home from a friend, car's been towed. DUI NOT an issue. Mr. Mel doesn't know how car drifted.

Heya Sam!

Dinghy sailed night before last (I believe) for SF.

Genna

@Tara; Thank you...got it.

Hmmm...I see Anon is gracing us with his presence again.

mustang

Say Mel employed an illegal worker and he was prosecuted for that. Then that is good, that sets the precedence for every court in California to start prosecuting every corporation, business, and private citizen in California, including hotels, wine industry, construction, restaurants who employ illegal immigrants. So far the courts barely touch them. They turn a blind eye.

fuddyduddy

Tara...you have done an OUTSTANDING job on all of this. I mean that sincerely. Your writing is to the point, easy to read, and easy to follow. Thanks for doing this. Round of applause, folks!

Curious

Ya know, as I read through some of these posts, Mr. Bush's "No child left behind" (the dumbing down of America) has a lot to answer for.